• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:27

I have it and am trying to decide if I like it. I got to the part where I went in the building and got my weapon of choice and left and then nothing. I ran around all over the place looking for quest givers. Also, as I understand it there are no levels, just new abilities. That may be a deal breaker for a lot of people. People like to see progression, imo anyways,

#17 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:31

This game interests me, but i'll wait a few months before i pick it up so i can see how it pans out. I've bought MMOs early in their lives, and it always burns me. Star Wars ended up crappy, Tera was okay, but generic as high hell beyond the combat, and i'll have to wait to see how this game does after the free month is over for people. It worries me that they put out a lifetime subscriber option, every game that has had that is now free to play.

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:32

Honestly I don't really care about DX11 or not as long as the game doesn't look horrible. I can't run Tesselation and SSAO anyway, well I could probably have SSAO, but for now I just run medium with high textures.

Even if you can't run the extras, DX11 performs better on multicore processors and the special effects will be better.

Some of those things people often forget about, though it's not usually going to make a huge difference on performance.

Next year I'd sure as hell hope the DX9 era is either past or going away, considering the major publishers have largely switched already (not entirely, but anyway.)

#19 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:34

I have it and am trying to decide if I like it. I got to the part where I went in the building and got my weapon of choice and left and then nothing. I ran around all over the place looking for quest givers. Also, as I understand it there are no levels, just new abilities. That may be a deal breaker for a lot of people. People like to see progression, imo anyways,

The questline should've advanced to having you test the weapons on whatever they use for testing and then past that. I think there might be a glitch in the Dragon training grounds though.

#20 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 July 2012 - 14:59

Judging by the Testlive server patch notes (which I'm sure I'm not supposed to share) most things should be fixed on the first patch, whenever that is.

http://forums.thesec...ead.php?t=39024 - You can find them on official forums, so I doubt it matters.

While we are on DX11, I did the TSWAnalyzer (over at nvidia) and everything passed spare my 9800GT. Anyone off hand got a recommendation? It's about time I start to do upgrades might as well ensure I can play TSW on HIgh/DX11.

And can you pull up the itemstore in game? I have yet to check it out.

#21 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:01

7850 would be the best bet.

#22 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:01

This game interests me, but i'll wait a few months before i pick it up so i can see how it pans out. I've bought MMOs early in their lives, and it always burns me. Star Wars ended up crappy, Tera was okay, but generic as high hell beyond the combat, and i'll have to wait to see how this game does after the free month is over for people. It worries me that they put out a lifetime subscriber option, every game that has had that is now free to play.

I must add, well I didn't hate TOR but I played it at 1.2, mostly as filler til TSW showed up. The Tera closed beta was so bad I don't even mind that I'm forced to use the horrible pun Terable to describe it :D
TSW is a little buggy but not enough to stop you from enjoying it. It's been a fairly smooth launch. Glad they agreed to delay launch a couple weeks, cause it was not ready.

#23 Altima

Altima

Otaku

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:05

OUR ego is sensitive? You're the one who came in here just to **** all over. And yes, bad graphics. Courtesy of DirectX 9. Which is exactly why I will not buy it.

Oh no! It's not pretty enough!

If you only care about graphics then you are missing out on things like: plot, storyline, game play, writing, creativity

A game can be the most beautiful thing in the world and be complete rubbish.

#24 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:06

I must add, well I didn't hate TOR but I played it at 1.2, mostly as filler til TSW showed up. The Tera closed beta was so bad I don't even mind that I'm forced to use the horrible pun Terable to describe it :D
TSW is a little buggy but not enough to stop you from enjoying it. It's been a fairly smooth launch. Glad they agreed to delay launch a couple weeks, cause it was not ready.

The game interests me, without a doubt, but i'd like to see how they support it in the coming months. I don't have the best faith in Funcom, but if it seems like the population of this game stays steady (i can see it having a small dedicated userbase) i'll happily pick up a copy. What is the end game like for TSW? It seems that a lot of the focus is on the quests and story, what happens when you hit the end? Is it focused on raids, small group dungeons, pvp?

#25 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:13

Oh no! It's not pretty enough!

If you only care about graphics then you are missing out on things like: plot, storyline, game play, writing, creativity

A game can be the most beautiful thing in the world and be complete rubbish.

I don't have the money to buy every game that might be worthwhile, so I'm being picky.

And sure it can, but I'd rather support devs that actually invest in their games than those that halfass it.

(Also in GW2s case, don't have the time to support two MMOs and never finished the last three GW releases so this most likely wouldn't be any different.)

#26 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:18

The game interests me, without a doubt, but i'd like to see how they support it in the coming months. I don't have the best faith in Funcom, but if it seems like the population of this game stays steady (i can see it having a small dedicated userbase) i'll happily pick up a copy. What is the end game like for TSW? It seems that a lot of the focus is on the quests and story, what happens when you hit the end? Is it focused on raids, small group dungeons, pvp?

IIRC they plan to expand the story rather than relying on raids or whatever. I haven't looked into it though since I rarely make it to endgame in MMOs.

#27 Phalesafe

Phalesafe

Mista Sparkelo™

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:33

http://forums.thesec...ead.php?t=39024 - You can find them on official forums, so I doubt it matters.

While we are on DX11, I did the TSWAnalyzer (over at nvidia) and everything passed spare my 9800GT. Anyone off hand got a recommendation? It's about time I start to do upgrades might as well ensure I can play TSW on HIgh/DX11.

And can you pull up the itemstore in game? I have yet to check it out.

Please disregard Wakers, he setup shop in the thread and apparently just wants to troll about how cool GW2 is (disclaimer I bought GW2 cant wait for its release but I'm enjoying my TSW and am still ****ed the ****ty DX9 they've been pushing every beta weekend for GW2 is so CPU bound at 5760x1080 its damn near unplayable it better ship with DX11). My friend has a GTX 570 and found it a little too weak to push resolutions higher than 1080p on max graphics and a 570 can be faster than a 7850 in a lot of instances.

Anyway back to GPU recommendations a GTX 670 would allow you to max out every detail and have smooth frames like butter but that depends on your budget. The biggest reason that I'm recommending an Nvidia solution is that the 600 series supports TXAA:

NVIDIA TXAA is new film-style anti-aliasing technique designed specifically to reduce temporal aliasing (crawling and flickering in motion) through a combination of hardware AA, custom CG film style AA resolve, and a temporal filter.

The Secret World is the first game to support TXAA (support will be enabled in an upcoming patch)..

I have two 3GB GTX 580s in SLI and as of the latest driver it runs great. It has camera problems with 5760x1080 so I play at 1920x1080 sadly. The game is too much fun to not play.

Also is there any way to respec SP? Is it in London?

#28 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:36

Bad graphics?

I played GW2 is beta, and I agree, the graphics were very lackluster. I didn't play long enough to comment on the gameplay though.

Back on topic, TSW is awesome so far. It definitely has some bugs but the freshness of the setting, missions, and skill development is very welcome.

#29 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 08 July 2012 - 15:58

Also is there any way to respec SP? Is it in London?

Not how the game works, there is no respec. you just start again on the circle you want to switch to, in the end you will have it all, same with the SP, in the end you will have them all.

#30 Phalesafe

Phalesafe

Mista Sparkelo™

Posted 08 July 2012 - 16:20

Not how the game works, there is no respec. you just start again on the circle you want to switch to, in the end you will have it all, same with the SP, in the end you will have them all.

I just haven't noticed if its increasingly grindy the higher you get in SP points if you were trying to get higher up in talismans or more weapons etc. I noticed you can respec AP (haven't tried it though) from the window but didn't see an option for SP.

Have you tried PvP or an Instance yet?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!