The Secret World

official

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#46 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2012 - 16:03

Anybody not on Grim (dimension 6) that can add me as a friend so I can snag an invite to another dimension that has a working 'Something Wicked'? Slane is my nickname.

http://chronicle.thesecretworld.com/

Armory for TSW. Can view your abilites/gear and see where you place on various leaderboards (cabal, faction, global). At the time of this post, top XP earned has 194million XP and only 66.3% of the ability wheel unlocked and everything but pistol damage SP spent.

#47 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 July 2012 - 20:08

That's neat!

http://chronicle.the...acter/Vallencia

My character. :laugh:

#48 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

Posted 09 July 2012 - 21:39

So, I'm fairly interested in this but watching vids on youtube and reading reviews and such leaves me curious...where does the 'MMO' part of the game come in? In videos I see nothing but solo play and I was reading that most instances are solo as well, you can't even bring in a friend? So, is it just that you see other people running around in the game world, can you actually quest and run the story together?

#49 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 July 2012 - 22:02

So, I'm fairly interested in this but watching vids on youtube and reading reviews and such leaves me curious...where does the 'MMO' part of the game come in? In videos I see nothing but solo play and I was reading that most instances are solo as well, you can't even bring in a friend? So, is it just that you see other people running around in the game world, can you actually quest and run the story together?

There are certainly some solo instances, but they aren't the entirety of it. There are also group dungeons which I can't do since I can't be arsed to meet people. Investigations would probably also be easier with a group.

I'd say at least 95% of the time yes, you can do group. I imagine they'll add group options to the solo instances as time goes on.

#50 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 09 July 2012 - 23:45

Like most story-driven MMOs these days, there is a large emphasis on single player. The MMO elements are there, in the form of guilds, PvP, grouping, and running across other. I see a ton of people running around the areas i'm in, so i feel immersed in the world. I'd say, though, that the story and world is so prominent that i don't really mind that it's more single player oriented than a game like, say, Rift. I actually turned off general chat because the chatter distracted me from my goals at hand =P

#51 Perfect72

Perfect72

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:54

A tip if you use Steam, I recommend adding the game to your Steam Library.
Using Steam's Web Browser is much more efficient than the in-game browser. The in-game browser resets every time you close it, where as the Steam one, you just hit Shift+Tab and use it, then Shift+Tab again to close it, making it easier to save your page when doing investigations or just messing around on the web in general.
:D

A PvP match on Stonehenge. I accrued the most Domination points and Score of anyone that played on all three teams, had the highest damage on our team, and healing, and took most brunt shots to the face :p. Yet we still came in last. I have played about 4 matches, and sadly I've noticed Illuminati are really horrible at PvP. Templars seem to be the best, winning 3 of the 4, while Dragons won one. :(
Step up your game Illuminati's!
(The Cabal messages were sent prior to the match, whereas the Dragons won the match shown.)
2012-07-09_00002.jpg

#52 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:13

http://www.thesecret...ch#update_1_0_1
Patch 1.0.1 notes

I love how they say 'this server will be down for five hours' then bring it up at least an hour earlier. Heh.

#53 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 July 2012 - 16:59

'Voracious Wendigo is now killable' in the patchnotes apparently forgot the 'except by SavagePaladin' part.

Something Wicked is definately fixed at least.

#54 S00N3R FR3AK

S00N3R FR3AK

Champion

Posted 10 July 2012 - 18:44

Man I really like the lore of this game and may it pick it up this weekend. Are there a group of yall on a single server? And did trial codes for friends come with boxed copies?

#55 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 10 July 2012 - 19:42

Man I really like the lore of this game and may it pick it up this weekend. Are there a group of yall on a single server? And did trial codes for friends come with boxed copies?

Some of us are on Grim, but Cabals can be cross-server from what I read. I don't know the details though.

#56 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 10 July 2012 - 19:49

yeah, everything except pvp is cross server I think.
and anyone can get friend codes now I think.

#57 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2012 - 19:51

Some of us are on Grim, but Cabals can be cross-server from what I read. I don't know the details though.

TSW is on one server for all regions. Meaning people from Euro, Asia and NA can all play together. There exsists different dimensions. This dimensions are where characters are. Grim is Dimension 6, I want to say Arcadia is Dim3 (F9 or shift+F9 will tell ya what dimension). You can only see people from your Dimension. However is player X is on dimension 1 and you join his party you will be propmted to "meet up" with him. Meaning for the duration of that party you will be on his dimension. You can send mail and tells to others from different Dimensions as well as the AH.. And your nickname/cabal name is unique across all of TSW.

To take it further you have "instances" on each dimension. Meaning Dimension 6 Kingsmouth 1 and Dimension 6 Kingsmouth 2. etc. Argatha/Cities is cross dimension, but local ares is only for your home dimension.

yeah, everything except pvp is cross server I think.
and anyone can get friend codes now I think.

Fights clubs and battlefields are cross dimension. Warzones are almost always just your Home dimension.

State of the game post: http://forums.thesec...ead.php?t=42532

#58 Tharp Daddy

Tharp Daddy

Indeed!

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:29

So after playing for a few days, i can honestly say that i really enjoy this game.
Pros:
1) The lore and story is FANTASTIC. I feel engrossed, and it's the first time i actually care about all the little quests i'm doing.
2) Combat flexibility is awesome. I thought it was bland at first, but as i got more SP and AP to spend, i was able to create synergy between my weapons and it now works beautifully.
3) The atmosphere in the zones is great. Just walking around Kingsmouth, it feels like a lot of love went into the game.
4) There are lots of customization options. My guy started off looking a bit like a goof, but i ran to London and bought him some clothes (of which are there a lot of options).
Cons:
1) Some things feel really clunky. Animation and combat has some clunkyness, but they mentioned in state of the game they are improving upon that.
2) Not much explanation. I have no idea how the pvp works, how one goes about finding/grouping for instances, and some of the various mechanics are poorly explained. Getting into a cabal helps with this, as you can ask your fellow players.
3) Bugs! I've come across quite a few bugs already, and at least 2 people in my smaller-population cabal have run into game breaking bugs in their story missions that the GMs could not fix. There's also bugs with chat that are quite a nuisance.
4) Dragon suck at pvp. We get dominated by the other 2 factions, pretty sure this is a bug of some sort, because we are clearly the best faction and should be winning. :rofl:

All in all, i'm very impressed with this game, and i hope it does well. It has some very innovative concepts, and it's extremely immersive.

#59 Slane

Slane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 July 2012 - 18:23

Most of the chat bugs are fixed and several missions were fixed after the 1.1 patch. But I will say to many people in general claim a mission is bugged when they just can't figure out how to complete it properly.

#60 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:27

Most of the chat bugs are fixed and several missions were fixed after the 1.1 patch. But I will say to many people in general claim a mission is bugged when they just can't figure out how to complete it properly.

Gotta say that isn't true from my experience. Second time I did The Hunger it worked fine. Still can't do Taking the Purple cause the attackers never show up (could be on a timer, mind you, but so far no luck.) In the closed beta the Black House mission people are still having problems with never triggered the stuff I needed to advance it. No idea if thats fixed yet.

Still too many broken ones, even if the lions share of things work properly. Considering Something Wicked was fixed though I don't expect them to take too long getting the rest up and running properly.