[SHIFT2] The DE Debate

The Shift 2 DE Poll  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which desktop environment (DE) would you like for Shift 2?

• Gnome
    • KDE
    • XFCE
    • Enlightenment
    • Cinnamon
    • MATE
    • LXDE

Right, here it is the big debate on which desktop environment to use for Shift2

I will be including some screenies for you to look at and pick the one you like best :)

Gnome - [Link to screenshot]

KDE - [Link to screenshot]

XFCE - [Link to screenshot]

Enlightenment - [Link to screenshot]

Cinnamon - [Link to screenshot]

MATE - [Link to screenshot]

LXDE - [Link to screenshot]

As usual guys, discuss below, but please, keep DE trollolololing out of this thread please :)

Seems to be that the poll isnt appearing, could a mod take a look for me please :)

I'd personally say build off of MATE as I really don't like what they did with Gnome 3.x

Seems to be that the poll isnt appearing, could a mod take a look for me please :)

Done!

I think it should be Cinnamon. I insist on that because

1. Building extension is really easy. We can incorporate whatever we are aiming for in these extensions.

2. It is based on gnome 3 but has nice look and feel to it. It's not, as some would say, lame.

I urge everyone to look into the screen shot and try to use it once. Our Javascript guys can look into the extension development part of it. It uses a variation of JS (not 100% sure though)

Unity :shifty:

No, I joke [remembers Fedora attempting to port it and failing].

I don't know TBH. I think it depends on what the project's vision is/will be. I also have no idea how any of the back ends work and how easy it would be to mod etc.

I like cinnamon myself (for what its very much NOT worth =P) but shouldn't a DE be selected based on how 'weighty' you plan on making it?

KDE. I'm bored of seeing one bland and boring gnome based Linux distro after another being churned out.

GNOME 3.x coupled with some extensions to make it more user friendly.

While I'm bored by the way Gnome looks for the most part, it is probably the best thing to start out with.

Just a thought....... when we produced Shift, we had several versions with different DE environments. We had XFCE-4, Gnome, KDE, and Fluxbox. People could download the version that they wanted. You could also produce a version where you could select at boot-up what DE you desire. We didn't use Arch, so I don't know if this is feasible or not.

Just a thought....... when we produced Shift, we had several versions with different DE environments. We had XFCE-4, Gnome, KDE, and Fluxbox. People could download the version that they wanted. You could also produce a version where you could select at boot-up what DE you desire. We didn't use Arch, so I don't know if this is feasible or not.

In IRC we decided that we would stick to one DE to begin while we get everything working nicely. Then later on we can add more DEs to the mix. No point running before you can walk.

In IRC we decided that we would stick to one DE to begin while we get everything working nicely. Then later on we can add more DEs to the mix. No point running before you can walk.

Sounds like a great plan! (Y)

Sounds like a great plan! (Y)

Yeah, was just to make sure that we didnt bite off more than we could chew at first.

Gnome is a great base to build from. You could easily make custom extensions.

Hey, Growled. Wanna help with this project!? I remember you being an avid *nix user!

So far it looks like it will be either Gnome/Cinnamon then. Will leave it a bit longer see how the votes go.

Cinnamon is quite new but it looks like a net improvement over Gnome in usability. See here for a quick breakdown of the pros and cons: http://www.linuxmint...ew.php#cinnamon

I can see Gnome 3 winning if that means some developers here are already familiar with it, but Cinnamon is based on Gnome 3 so chances are it's similar. It's worth looking into IMO.

My vote goes for XFCE. I love XFCE's customisability, and it's beauty in simplicity.

Hey, Growled. Wanna help with this project!? I remember you being an avid *nix user!

I will think about it. I have very little time to get involved in major projects plus my use of Linux has cooled of late. I use Windows at work and mostly Android at home.

Cinnamon is quite new but it looks like a net improvement over Gnome in usability. See here for a quick breakdown of the pros and cons: http://www.linuxmint...ew.php#cinnamon

That doesn't show any differences between gnome3 and cinnamon, all that shows is cinnamon VS other WMs (like it says needs 3D GFX card under cons).

Gnome or Cinnamon.

BTW the Gnome screenshot is wrong... Gnome 3.x does not allow icons on the desktop and is out of date compared to gnome 3.4