Pregnant woman dies after doctors bungle delivery

A 20-year-old woman bled to death soon after delivering a baby at a Thane hospital, as her doctor had allegedly pulled out a part of her uterus. Shockingly, the doctor reportedly performed the delivery in candlelight because there was a power cut at the hospital.

Unnati Gurav's family, deep in shock, alleges that the doctor attending on her said she was carrying twins and then pulled out a portion of her uterus after her baby was delivered. She began bleeding excessively and was rushed to three different hospitals before she died.

The police are investigating the case and say the doctor who delivered Unnati's baby is absconding. The story gets more incredible - the hospital authorities have reportedly said they could not run the generator when there was an electricity outage as someone had stolen the kerosene used to power it.

source

As someone who recently got a little niece from his sister, I can't help but find this story appaling....

Well, it is India -- they may not have the best equipment, and there was a power failure.

Hard to be sure what happened, without being there.

This reminds me of the article about the woman in South America where the doctor was delivering the baby and pulled its head off?

ehhh not being funny he tried... if he had waited for the power to come back on the babies and the mother could of died... it was a mistake and yes lawsuits will happen! but look at it this way ... 2 lives spared

ehhh not being funny he tried... if he had waited for the power to come back on the babies and the mother could of died... it was a mistake and yes lawsuits will happen! but look at it this way ... 2 lives spared

Where do you get two from, she only had one baby?

This sounds like a really, really unfortunate series of events. Delivering a baby (or two?) in candlelight, I mean... you gotta do what you gotta do, this kind of thing probably happened all the time back before we had electricity. I don't even know that suing is the right thing to do--it seems like the doctor was trying to do the right thing, couldn't see, thought there was another baby in there... I don't know how easy that is to mistake, but without light...?

Sigh. Just a sad story regardless.