Photo

I use Windows 8 like a power user! Do you?

win8

• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#1 Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:08

As a power user, I didn't wine about the missing start menu or the existence of the metro UI. Rather, I used the new capabilities to make my computing more efficient than it was with Windows 7. Many others have done too and, as a result, love Windows 8. I will tell you, though, that many haters have never even learned to use Windows 8 efficiently before giving up. Windows 8 is very efficient with keyboard and mouse.

Here's a quick video of how I use windows 8 like a power user. Do you do the same?

P.S There are some neat Windows 8 tips and tricks shown in the video that you might have not known about.

#2 alisalem

alisalem

Neowinian

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 (16GB Black)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:11

Wow you're fast. :p

#3 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:13

Thanks. It's a matter of becoming open minded with Windows 8 and learning to use it efficiently rather than relying on the old hacks like 3rd party start menu.

#4 grayscale

grayscale

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:18

I didn't realize power users move that fast, either :p

Thanks. It's a matter of becoming open minded with Windows 8 and learning to use it efficiently rather than relying on the old hacks like 3rd party start menu.

My only gripe about Windows 8 is the extra presses when I want to search settings, or files. All this time, I thought win+q is the only keyboard shortcut for search. I didn't know about win+f and win+w so thanks :)

#5 OP Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Nazmus Shakib Khandaker

Neowinian

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:21

@grayscale you are welcome! you don't need to use Win+Q. To search apps, just hit the windows key and type, just like you did in Windows 7. Oh, and about the speed, I did things quickly so I can make the video short; I don't think I have ADD :p

#6 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:21

Thanks, we need more things like this to show all those whiners that you can be just as or more efficient using Windows 8.

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:27

This thread needs pinned or at least shard times a million. :)

#8 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:28

All I see is how you can get motion sickness watching the ridiculous metro start animate in every time you want to search.

#9 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:29

Thanks for this. I learned some new things. Great video. (Y)

#10 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:36

hmm.. everything you can do I can do in Windows 7, except play a couple shitacular games. I don't need or want a bunch of boxes on my screen every time I want to do something new. I don't want a full screen app for everything, and in the end be told just to use the desktop (which everyone wants gone??).

Also, "Closing apps is easier than you think"... really? CTRL+W or ALT+F4 closes apps faster than going to corner, waiting for bar, clicking and dragging app.. etc. Also, the start-menu provides command line tools, and there are shortcuts for running as admin, and the sort. All done without extra bars, or hidden menus.. so I feel it's actually easier.. but that's just me. Also, I don't think opening a notepad, and paint is a power-user. Just my opinion though.

All I saw from the video was.. I can open apps, I can close them, and I have a big ass screen to do so. Well I can do the exact same with a small little rectangle on my windows 7.

Just sayin'

#11 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:37

All I see is a bunch of obnoxious full screen window switching. :s

#12 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:40

All I see is how you can get motion sickness watching the ridiculous metro start animate in every time you want to search.

Hahaha, that's all you've got?

hmm.. everything you can do I can do in Windows 7, except play a couple shitacular games. I don't need or want a bunch of boxes on my screen every time I want to do something new. I don't want a full screen app for everything, and in the end be told just to use the desktop (which everyone wants gone??).

Also, "Closing apps is easier than you think"... really? CTRL+W or ALT+F4 closes apps faster than going to corner, waiting for bar, clicking and dragging app.. etc. Also, I don't think opening a notepad, and paint is a power-user. Just my opinion though.

All I saw from the video was.. I can open apps, I can close them, and I have a big ass screen to do so. Well I can do the exact same with a small little rectangle on my windows 7.

Just sayin'

Alt+F4 also closes metro apps.

Stop whining that the start screen is full screen, it is only up for a second or two. It shows more information at once. And explain WHY the little rectangle in the corner of the screen is better than the full screen start menu? Do you just dislike change?

There is a lot of power user features in 8. Right click in bottom left (or Win+X) for a very useful menu. Didn't you see all the fast links in the ribbon in explorer? How about that new task manager? File copy dialog?

Face it, when shown videos like this the Windows 8 haters resort to pretty lame arguments.

The only arguments the Windows 8 haters are going to have in this thread basically boil down to them disliking it for no particular reason.

#13 trek

trek

7 / X

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:43

Hahaha, that's all you've got?

Nope, however I normally don't post in these metro threads.

#14 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:47

Alt+F4 also closes metro apps.

Didn't say it didn't, all I said was it's easy to close apps in Windows 7, windows 8 doesn't make closing apps easier.

Stop whining that the start screen is full screen, it is only up for a second or two. It shows more information at once. And explain WHY the little rectangle in the corner of the screen is better than the full screen start menu? Do you just dislike change?

The small rectangle is nice, because it doesn't distract me from anything, I mean I can have it up, and not even be looking at it while launching an app, it doesn't take away ANYTHING from my view on the desktop. 0 broken focus. Shows more information? Such as... Weather? There's a gadget, Mail? There's a gadget, CPU Usage? There's a gadget. Guess what? They are all gadgets that go on the desktop and can be viewed at any time without having to switch to another screen. Really? I don't like Windows 8, or see faults so I instantly hate change? That's funny brah.

There is a lot of power user features in 8. Right click in bottom left (or Win+X) for a very useful menu. Didn't you see all the fast links in the ribbon in explorer? How about that new task manager? File copy dialog?

Not saying Windows 8 doesn't have nice features, but in adding nice things I feel they took away some really nice things too. Honestly though how many people stare at Task Manager, 99% of people open TM to see Memory usage, CPU Usage, or to kill programs that froze.. .all of which is easy to do on <=W7

Face it, when shown videos like this the Windows 8 haters resort to pretty lame arguments.
The only arguments the Windows 8 haters are going to have in this thread basically boil down to them disliking it for no particular reason.

Or so you assume, your assumption is that someone who doesn't like something is talking out of their ass, have no clue why they don't like it, hate change for the sake of hating it. Which sorry to burst you bubble isn't true. There are plenty of people who feel the same as me, and have their own reasons for disliking it. If you are too blind to see that people have valid feelings about something, then that's on you, but don't make assumptions and group people together just because you can't understand why they don't like something you do.

#15 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:50

In summation - if you dislike metro because you don't want to some tacky full screen start thing and have no interest in the ever trendy app store you hate Windows 8. Despite the fact that excluding metro, there is actually a lot of nice changes in Windows 8 that most people on neowin that are "haters" actually want.

I don't see why it's to much to ask that MS give us an option to have a start menu like it is now. You can use metro, I can use my start menu. Everyone is happy.

Microsoft implemented changes correctly in Windows 7 with the super bar. If you didn't like it you could make the start bar like Vista, or 95, or 2000, etc. How they are forcing (if you want windows 8) the metro start screen onto everyone is a night and day difference compared to how they made changes in Windows 7. It amazes me that people are so against having options.

I'm 100% certain that if they did that the majority of the criticism against Windows 8 would disappear nearly instantly.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!