I use Windows 8 like a power user! Do you?

1. After I unpin them, how do I find them again? Sometimes they aren't discernable by name, and I don't use them often enough to remember what it was called to search by them. If I remove/unpin them from Metro, now what??

2. By first page, I mean I have multiple pages of tiles after installing a bunch of applications. Every app link, url link, etc associated with the standard install gets a tile. In order to get to those tiles, I have to swipe/scroll, page after page after page after page after page to get to the new icons. If they were first created on 'Page 1', then I could move them from there as I needed.

1. You would need to search for them as you would have done with the old Start Menu... go down the list. If you can't recall the name, there's really no other way to find them other than searching if they're not part of a main program. You can create a folder and name it for miscellany and put things in there. Then you could simply go to that folder when searching for items.

2. It would be better if after install the programs were either to the left (where the Start Screen begins) or if it auto-scrolled to the far right to show you what you just installed. Alternatively, you can use semantic zoom to quickly get from one side to the other.

Pinch and Zoom, or CTRL = Scroll wheel, or click the "-" symbol in the bottom right corner. You can also throw the mouse to either edge of the screen quickly and it will scroll to the farthest end of either side. Or, click near either arrow in the scroll bar field at the bottom of the screen. This will jump to the far ends as well.

Actually that isn't true, I love technology I just don't advocate the idea that being new always makes something better. And I have all of the websites that I view frequently on my bookmarks bar. I click the button and go to the website, it's just as simple as using the start screen with the additional bonus that it doesn't take my screen over

Hmm. One button press versus many clicks just doesn't seem as fast to me. I've got websites bookmarked too in different categories. But, hitting the Win Key and just perusing seems a bit faster in my opinion.

When Gadgets first came out I had a few on my desktop. About four I used a lot. A weather gadget a notepad gadget a CPU/RAM gadget and a server monitor gadget that just pinged my server every few minutes to check it was online.

But as time went on I just stopped using it. I remember that I reinstalled Windows 7 and I didn't feel I needed those gadgets I didn't need live information on my screen so I just never installed any and since then I've not used them.

I'm thinking that Live Tiles might end up the same way. I don't think I need all those tiles displaying information to me. But this is just me, maybe the general public will use it.

Now, this is an example of an "old school" mentality. I'm firmly in the old school camp when it comes to certain things. However, my tech isn't one of them. If I need to see a quick weather update, score of a game(s), latest news headlines, quick check new emails received, stock prices or any other number of a myriad of things, is it not quicker to just hit the Start Screen, glance and go back to what I was doing as opposed to opening multiple websites to do the same thing?

Now THAT seems inefficient to me. Unless, you're leaving ALL of those sites open via tabs. You'd then have to click from tab to tab as opposed to seeing it all at once which is the main "power user" argument against the Start Screen.

FYI, I got new emails from ZDnet and the NBA store, it's 84 degrees F and cloudy, Federer won, Yanks beat the Sox 7-3, 6 U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan, my stocks are down (that sucks), a critic doesn't like Oliver Stone's new film, and so on.

P.S. Just got a breaking news toast from BBC on my Windows Phone. A one year tax cut renewal for Americans making under $250k, eh?

Thank you! I was having trouble explaining my point, but I couldn't have said that any better myself! That individual appears to be just making arguments for the sake of arguments. Oh well! To each their own as I have said before. :) lol.

Hmm. One button press versus many clicks just doesn't seem as fast to me. I've got websites bookmarked too in different categories. But, hitting the Win Key and just perusing seems a bit faster in my opinion.

Exactly! You can have multiple monitors and use one for the start screen if you don't want to jump back and forth as well! ;)

Except it isn't. One button click to launch my browser, a second to launch the website from my icon bar. And unlike the Metro screen, the browser isn't forcibly slapped in my face when I boot my computer up, I get a choice of whether or not I want to use it.

Maybe I'm just a snob but to me a power user has multiple screens. Is there two screens on this system and you only recorded the main screen for this video?

what does multiple screens have to do with being a power user. again same thing as the admin thing. you don't need multiple screens to be a power users, but someone with multiple screens are more likely to be a power users. or a stock broker or a photoshop guy ...

I have 2 screens, but I only use the second one if I am playing a game and want a walkthrough or map up. I don't necessarily see how having multiple screens makes one a power user.

Power user? Where? :laugh:

1) App launch speed is the same. The ability to click on a pinned or searched for app is the same.

2) Ohnoes, without Metro 'touch' focused games, whatever will I do with my mouse. Guess I'll settle for Diablo3.

3) You scheduled a calendar entry with Quick note.

4) You are claiming 'fast app' switching now as a feature of Win8?

5) You can't multi-select items to pin from All Programs, which your time lapse hides.

Normally, I'd consider multi-monitors (along with overkill memory capacity) a sign of not being a power user in many cases (which to me is really about multi-tasking and creating/moving data among many applications). While I agree they can be great, they are usually a sign of someone who doesn't multi-task well.

what does multiple screens have to do with being a power user. again same thing as the admin thing. you don't need multiple screens to be a power users, but someone with multiple screens are more likely to be a power users. or a stock broker or a photoshop guy ...

Well dictionary.com defines power user as:

"any person who knows enough about a computer or other device to take full advantage of its advanced features"

So by definition of this dictionary you are correct of course. But in my subjective opinion I have yet to find someone who I'd consider a power user that doesn't have a few pieces of hardware out of the norm. Dual displays being one such piece of hardware. I'd also say having more than the market average of RAM installed being another. For example if the market was currently trending with 4GB in desktop computers then a power user would commonly have 6GB, 8GB or more installed. But again this is just my opinion combined with what I see and what I consider a typical power users system.

Of course there are exceptions I know people who use notebooks classed as desktop replacements so obviously these lack dual screens and some other features I'd consider power user defining hardware options. There are no absolutes.

I guess in the purest sense there are many different levels of power user but in my world I don't consider people power users just because they use a bit of photoshop or use virtual box to run Windows 8 betas. But again this is my own definition. And like I said, maybe I'm just a snob or my power user entry bar is simply set too high.

Just wanted to say excellent work on the video. Almost felt like a promotion video. (Y)

5) You can't multi-select items to pin from All Programs, which your time lapse hides.

Yes, you can.

You need to redirect these complaints to the vendor of the hypervisor you?re using. Support for all hotkey focus redirections comes from your hypervisor product, and whatever level 2 hypervisor product you?re using will support them once it officially offers full support for the new versions of Windows.

If you want the hotkeys to work properly right now, then use the level 1 hypervisor that?s built into Windows 8 / Server 2012, or open a RDS session into your VM rather than relying on the console of your hypervisor. Otherwise you just have to wait until the next beta or full release of your hypervisor of choice.

I have the same problems with VMWare, and HyperV on Server 2008 R2. I've had the same problem with Windows 8, Server 2012, Windows 7, and Server 2008 R2 in a virtual environment.

I don't have a problem when I RDS into the machines, but I won't have RDS enabled on every machine I install for security reasons.

I disagree with the OP. W8 has gone backwards in terms of productivity for 'power-users'. In its current state, it's a bit of a let down for those who want to be properly productive.

• Like 2

I disagree with the OP. W8 has gone backwards in terms of productivity for 'power-users'. In its current state, it's a bit of a let down for those who want to be properly productive.

Care to explain how it would reduce productivity?

Been using Win8 for almost a year now. I can't really say I want to go back to Win7. The new start screen is really great when you use it right. No start menu is no loss at all. The start screen replaces it and adds functionality.

When the developers make the apps for it, Win8 will show its power. I think most here doesn't like Win8 because they havent' used it enough to understand its possibilities.

Care to explain how it would reduce productivity? Been using Win8 for almost a year now. I can't really say I want to go back to Win7. The new start screen is really great when you use it right. No start menu is no loss at all. The start screen replaces it and adds functionality. When the developers make the apps for it, Win8 will show its power. I think most here doesn't like Win8 because they havent' used it enough to understand its possibilities.

All the changes so far, the new explorer, start screen, speed increase, changes to some other apps are all welcomed. I liked using them. I like the new defualt font, its looks really nice. Its just the implementation of Metro, its design and screen estate spacing. If MS attempted to balance those issues, heck I won't even think twice about missing the traditional W7 start menu. The new Metro start menu is still too unrefined for the release to the public. And you know what? If MS makes an attempt to really stabilise, mature and give more core functionality to Metro apps at a decent price, heck i'll switch over. But right now, I hope MS is taking notes and shaping up Metro, its the stupid things like having to click 3-4 times to get to something which was simpler in W7, as an example : how to shutdown or get to the power options. I don't want to hate, I want it to mature more and become more compelling :)

• Like 3

Ok. I've stopped reading at page 3 after all the drama that tragedy, mrp04 and Ice_Blue came up with.

Windows 8 is focusing mainly on the touch-screen oriented devices. It is not a surprise that everything is optimized for touch input.

I've been using Windows 8 since the Dev Prev and up until now here's how I felt about the OS:

It's a start. From the leaks, the RTM to be seems more completed: fluid, fast, and intuitive, from a tablet point of view. But from the desktop (laptop in my case) point of view, (which is where I use it) it feels like an unfinished OS. I do share their vision of Metro: It's amazing! But that does not deprive the fact that Windows 8 on the desktop is not on the spot.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

When you regard someone as a "Power User" you can't specify an exact type. There are many types of Power Users:

1) Those who know how to navigate through the OS fluently.

2) Designers: Lots and lots of Windows opened. (Can include: Video Editors, Encoders, and much more which can be intertwined between the designing ecosphere)

3) Coders: PowerShell, CMD, Visual Studio, NetBeans, ETC.

4) Tampers/Full Customization People: People who like to do tamper with the visuals, customize them with lots of colors, and so on.

(Note that all of these could be combined between)

5) Multitaskers

Now, the video shown here describes perfectly (at a max extent) what we would call Power User #1 (and that alone).

At a normal (consumer) scenario which most (Not all) of neowin Windows 8 Full ?praisers? would fit in (from what I've read), would not complain about Metro and will see it as a very good boost enhancer of productivity. Unfortunately there are several case scenarios (even the most stupid and little ones) that I (myself, my opinion, yes it is what I am thinking) see that do not help me to do my tasks easier or better.

Furthermore, many people at this site need to understand that people use computer differently from each other, which is why there are many unviewed points that have their own reason and can be very appealing to the cause.

Here are my problems with the new Start Screen and with Metro on the desktop:

1. Scalability: Let's say you spend around One thousand dollars (1,000 $) on a full-fledged 2560 x 1600 Screen, or decided to purchase a couple of 1920 x 1080. When you open a Metro app you won't see any space gain due to the scalability of the app. This is justifiable in games and some entertainment apps so it stops fragmentation issues when the OS is released on the market. But, productivity ones such as: PC Settings, and entertainment ones: Windows Store and Music do not justify.

Even the start menu itself feels like it?s wasting lots of space on the upper and lower part of the screen.

What, going to spend 1 grand in order to run a mail app which is going to display the same as a 1366 x 768 screen?

1. Running metro apps has a limit: None of you have reached it yet, but I did out of curiosity, and this could be a very common scenario for users who try to be productive with Metro apps:

Right now, there aren?t many metro apps on the Windows marketplace, but when there are and you get hit with the 9 app limit (In my case), you?ll be scratching your head on why is there a limit at all. It is true that there are live titles, but let?s us not forget that live titles only display information without entering an app, and that?s it. If you try multitasking More than 10 metro apps you?ll be leaving one behind, since Windows will automatically close the last one used.

1. You can lose concentration with the big start menu popping up (against of what mrp04 has said). I?ve experienced this myself several times. I do have some problems with concentration and the big start menu does not help at all.

I have an idea while coding, and suddenly I want to launch a program. When I see this big array of programs and tiles displaying information, I have a big chance of forgetting the idea I?m having on my head.
  1. Start menu crashes, freezes, and bugged scenarios appear when having a desktop unresponsive application or using CPU around 90% or higher: I use MeGUI for encoding videos, and I set it at low priority so I can have the computer for watching HD videos (DXVA), browsing the web, etc. (Still having 90%+ usage) But when I hit the start menu and try to navigate fast through it, all I can see is how the whole screen ghosts and becomes unresponsive. Pressing ctrl + alt + del / ctrl + shift + esc like crazy does not solve the problem. It is not after 3 ? 4 mins that the explorer restarts and I?m able to see the Start Screen again. This problem rises frequently when some desktop app hangs, giving the PC a hard time.
  2. Metro Multitasking is a no-no. Max of 10 metro apps running at the same time (including the current one), lack of a customizable resizing ?window? option is a down. When having a huge screen, one does not usually launch a program to occupy screen completely. I like to have them organized, stack them, snap this one to the left side, or cascade three of them and horizontal one so I can transfer multiple files from different locations at the same time.

1. Much more Key combinations to do what one used to do are not the solution of ones? prayers. In my case, the simpler the better: less clicks/hits to produce more. Having more Windows Keys to do what I used to do before I find them irrelevant. Searching is an example: Previously I would have hit the start button; search for anything I would want and boom it would have appeared. Now, if I want to search for files I need to hit Win+F; Win+W for settings, and Win for apps only.

Little details:

1) Selecting a Wireless Network: If you travel a lot, or want to check the status of the wireless network I do find tedious that the metro bar of 1/5 th of size pops up and eats the taskbar. What if I mistakenly hit it? (Happens), I need to click out the taskbar

2) Lack of an unfiltered search: You can?t search for folders anymore directly from start.

3) Can?t add startup items faster due to the lack of ?Startup folder? (Unless you pint it to the Start):

4) Can?t move folders from the start to other places of Windows.

5) You can?t have the Jump List that Windows 7 introduced of the most frequently used programs.

6) The ribbon takes too much unnecessary space. Yes, you can contract it, and yes, you can full screen the explorer. But that does not advocate the reason that you will be blocking the same amount of screen than Windows 7?s toolbar.

I set this one aside, because it can be completely disabled and have the Windows 7 one brought back.

7) Multi-dragging on Start Screen is not possible. It wasn?t possible on the start menu either, but if you are going to create multiple selectable items, the logical thing is that you can move them altogether, or am I wrong?

8) When running Windows Basic visual style and setting the Window tab to a darker color you can?t read anything written in the Window.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

These are my main concerns. I?m still using Windows 8 (release preview) because I?ve managed to overcome some of these concerns thanks to 3rd party apps + some customization, or swallow some of them.

Windows 8 have many nice touches and inside features that could justify an upgrade if dealing with the GUI on the desktop does not become problematic (which in several cases it shows up as an unfinished OS). I do have a list of great improvements that this OS made, and a list of enhancements it can still receive.

And again: people need to understand that no one uses the computer the same, so there are many things that can be overlooked and you won?t notice it until it happens.

I have the same problems with VMWare, and HyperV on Server 2008 R2. I've had the same problem with Windows 8, Server 2012, Windows 7, and Server 2008 R2 in a virtual environment.

I don't have a problem when I RDS into the machines, but I won't have RDS enabled on every machine I install for security reasons.

Thats been my biggest qualm with Win8Server as well. I don't connect to servers full screen (RDCMan, Logmein, hyper console). Many keyboard shortcuts and the hot corners just don't translate. At least the new management tools reduce the need to do that, so there is some silver lining.

I'm sorry but Javid is right, I too feel slapped in the face each time it sneaks up on me. Or maybe its just more like Orgaso where the guys keep planting his ass center frame, before arrogantly smacking it to make sure you didn't miss it, then its back to business.

Been using Win8 for almost a year now.

I think most here doesn't like Win8 because they havent' used it enough to understand its possibilities.

Yea, I don't really feel like killing my productivity for a year just to get it "almost" back to where it is now. Why re-learn everything that's NOT BROKE right now?

Change just for the sake of change only makes you a Mac user.

Edit: Just to be clear of my "Power user" status: I'm a CNE that focus' on server deployment, administration and advanced multinetwork communication between secured channels with remote access and administration of virtual servers clustered together on HyperV or VMWare app servers. I have worked on networks since the early days of OS/2 Warp, SCO Unix, Novell Netware, and even some primitive DOS TCP-IP stacks. I am an extremely strong multitasker, and hardware guru. I manage approximately 280 business networks / servers myself and anything that causes a user to inter-vein my normal work day with a "how do I do this" question on something very simple (such as "where is the start menu") kills my efficiency and costs my schedule dearly. Windows 8 is already dead in my book. Funny enough, it was about this time frame that I declared that on Vista also.

Yea, I don't really feel like killing my productivity for a year just to get it "almost" back to where it is now. Why re-learn everything that's NOT BROKE right now?

How much do you use the current start menu? I rarely use it anymore because of jumplists and taskbar pinning.

Edit: Just to be clear of my "Power user" status: I'm a CNE that focus' on server deployment, administration and advanced multinetwork communication between secured channels with remote access and administration of virtual servers clustered together on HyperV or VMWare app servers. I have worked on networks since the early days of OS/2 Warp, SCO Unix, Novell Netware, and even some primitive DOS TCP-IP stacks. I am an extremely strong multitasker, and hardware guru. I manage approximately 280 business networks / servers myself and anything that causes a user to inter-vein my normal work day with a "how do I do this" question on something very simple (such as "where is the start menu") kills my efficiency and costs my schedule dearly. Windows 8 is already dead in my book. Funny enough, it was about this time frame that I declared that on Vista also.

That is why you have support levels. If that work as intended, you will not be affected.

How much do you use the current start menu? I rarely use it anymore because of jumplists and taskbar pinning.

That is why you have support levels. If that work as intended, you will not be affected.

If I could pin the support icons I need on every single workstation throughout every business I manage without the users removing those, sure, I'd never use the start button, but then again, I don't want every single user to go into every admin tool that I use.

I never said anything about a "team" supporting these businesses. It's literally ME supporting them. There are no "support levels".

If I could pin the support icons I need on every single workstation throughout every business I manage without the users removing those, sure, I'd never use the start button, but then again, I don't want every single user to go into every admin tool that I use.

I never said anything about a "team" supporting these businesses. It's literally ME supporting them. There are no "support levels".

Why would you pin that on the start menu of users? You can use either search or right click in the bottom left corner to access most of admin tool. Seems to me like you make things more complicated that they are. And most admin tools have remote access.

If you manage the servers/network, then you do that. Stop worry about on such simple tasks. Businesses with no admins could assign power users/super users for that kind of support. Look for solutions, not just look at the problem.