Nokia announces pink Lumia 900, available from AT&T on July 15th

Nokia has unveiled its pink Lumia 900 today, launching in the US on AT&T this weekend. The new pink version will be available in stores on Sunday July 15th with a two-year contract. Nokia originally launched the Lumia 900 in white, black, and cyan earlier this year, but the latest color appears to be ready for summer shoppers. There is no word on availability outside the US, Nokia mentions this is an AT&T exclusive for now.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/3146638/nokia-lumia-900-pink-att-july-15th

Just what some of you have been waiting for I'm sure. :p

How can they justify selling them with a 2 years contract when the phone is pretty much dead in terms of updates? :/

Because it's pink, duh. Like OMG, super trendy!

/s

• Like 2

The same way tons of dead Android phones and tablets are sold with v2.0 - 3.0 installed and no upgrade path to the latest.

It has an upgrade path already planned, just not to what will be the on-going concern.

How can they justify selling them with a 2 years contract when the phone is pretty much dead in terms of updates? :/

Nokia said they'll continue updating the phones.

Nokia does more than just offer the hardware and whatever OS it comes with, there are the exclusive apps and even more on the way to. If anything Nokia has shown how OEMs can differentiate when it comes to WP without having to resort to lame UI skins. Good hardware design + good apps can get the job done.

Besides, aren't people on these 2 year contracts up for a phone upgrade 1 year in? Or maybe for a small fee they can get one then or something, I'm not too sure on the funky US carrier deals that go on.

Besides, aren't people on these 2 year contracts up for a phone upgrade 1 year in? Or maybe for a small fee they can get one then or something, I'm not too sure on the funky US carrier deals that go on.

Usually not, but you may be able to argue your way into an upgrade a year in to your contract. Just tell them you're switching to Verizon otherwise.

why bother introducing a new phone...wait...just a color choice? never mind.

Nokia does more than just offer the hardware and whatever OS it comes with, there are the exclusive apps and even more on the way to. If anything Nokia has shown how OEMs can differentiate when it comes to WP without having to resort to lame UI skins. Good hardware design + good apps can get the job done.

It's 18mo for AT&T

well, probably because most people don't care? I mean look at all those Android phones..

Not like everyone is tech people. They just want a phone that just works.

• Like 2

Usually not, but you may be able to argue your way into an upgrade a year in to your contract. Just tell them you're switching to Verizon otherwise.

Well, I cough it up to the US carriers and cell phone networks in general being lame. I know here in my part of the world a contract with any carrier I sign with has a one year minimum stuck to it, if I want to break it I have to pay a fee. After that one year I can keep paying for it or jump ship or w/e, and I get some upgrade credit depending on the overall cost of the phone I got with them (the more expensive the phone and plan the more credit I get etc).

On the bright side at least it's not as bad as Canada, 3 year contracts up north. :p

Just because it is not upgradable to WP8 does not mean it will see anymore updates. It will get the 7.8 update later this year which will add new features that have not been made public yet. Nokia will also be issuing updates to the phone also above a beyond Tango and 7.8 and will offer more exclusive apps too. So it is far from dead as far as I can see. Most android devices on the market have never seen 1 update. And I would say probably out of all the android devices released within the last year very few of them will get android 4.1.

So really what is your point????

• Like 2

I dont see why anyone should have to jump through hoops when they can just wait a few months and get an the updated OS. WP7 still has missing functionality that will likely now not be added, like being able to email docs directly, editing forwarded emails, edit playlists on the phone, data backup, BT transfer, and tons of Nokia applications wont make up for it. I've had a WP since launch and MS always said the OS would not always be in the state it was when originally released but now it will be superceeded with a lot of core functionality missing, so buying that same version now on any device that wont be updated in any meaningful way is completely pointless. Comparing this situation to buying an outdated android version is moot because those devices can do all the basic tasks WP is missing, they just dont have a lot of the advanced features. I dont see how anyone can recommend a WP phone now for anything more than the most basic of tasks.

• Like 1

I think the point you're making has already been made by several people before you. Rudy asked a fair question and it got answered.

I dont see why anyone should have to jump through hoops when they can just wait a few months and get an the updated OS. WP7 still has missing functionality that will likely now not be added, like being able to email docs directly, editing forwarded emails, data backup, BT transfer, and tons of Nokia applications wont make up for it. I've had a WP since launch and MS always said the OS would not always be in the state it was when originally released but now it will be superceeded with a lot of core functionality missing, so buying that same version now on any device that wont be updated in any meaningful way is completely pointless. Comparing this situation to buying an outdated android version is moot because those devices can do all the basic tasks WP is missing, they just dont have a lot of the advanced features.

It really depends on what the user wants/needs out of the phone at this point in time. Lots of those features you're thinking about might not be an issue for your average user who just cares about the basics really. I agree that if you can wait then wait and get a WP8 device but this just goes back to a point I made weeks ago, average smartphone consumers don't know or seem to really care about what OS version they have. And most tend to get new phones as often as they can which means they're not holding on to a phone for 3-5 years like they would be with say, a new laptop for example.

For many people they'll get the new OS when they get that new phone a year from now after having the Lumia 900, if they liked the 900 so much then the odds of them jumping up to the new WP8 version is possible. It's good for Nokia to keep working on the brand even now and not just stop dead for 5 months till WP8 hits the market.

Would you buy a computer that you knew you wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next OS that was coming in a few months?

It really depends on what the user wants/needs out of the phone at this point in time. Lots of those features you're thinking about might not be an issue for your average user who just cares about the basics really. I agree that if you can wait then wait and get a WP8 device but this just goes back to a point I made weeks ago, average smartphone consumers don't know or seem to really care about what OS version they have. And most tend to get new phones as often as they can which means they're not holding on to a phone for 3-5 years like they would be with say, a new laptop for example.

For many people they'll get the new OS when they get that new phone a year from now after having the Lumia 900, if they liked the 900 so much then the odds of them jumping up to the new WP8 version is possible. It's good for Nokia to keep working on the brand even now and not just stop dead for 5 months till WP8 hits the market.

Problem is now its the norm to make excuses for why WP7 is still somehow a viable option because some users may not need some of the missing features. Would make more sense to recommend it if the basic features were there at least.

Would you buy a computer that you knew you wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next OS that was coming in a few months?

I tend to use a new computer for longer than a year. So for me at least it's comparing apples with oranges.

Problem is now its the norm to make excuses for why WP7 is still somehow a viable option because some users may not need some of the missing features. Would make more sense to recommend it if the basic features were there at least.

what basic features are missing on WP7? (I am not trying to excuse lack of upgrade path that sucks for new users until WP8).

I'm not making excuses i'm being realistic, not everyone is like me or has the same needs I do out of a PC, or a smart phone. The question was why would anyone buy a lumia 900 now when it can't get upgraded to WP8? The simple answer to that is that it depends on the users needs at the time. The missing features you have in mind are things you care about getting of course so for you it makes no sense to buy this device but others who don't need those, and are ok with what the device can do today are fine with buying it.

It's not an excuse, it's the way the market works.

It will be supported for 18 months , after 7.8 update comes , further as far as we know Nokia , they will add many exclusives and stuff to make current Lumias attractive even after Win8 launch. I heard they were making Bluetooth file transfer stuff.

I tend to use a new computer for longer than a year. So for me at least it's comparing apples with oranges.

I usually keep computer for less than a year and I keep my phone for around 2-3 years

Not like everyone is tech people. They just want a phone that just works.

Exactly.

I have just taken a look at the features here http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_900_at&t-4275.php. It clearly states the operating system as "Microsoft Windows Phone 7.5 Mango". Why do people expect operating system upgrades - especially on something that is somewhere in the middle of general purpose computing and embedded. If you expect an upgrade, then you need to buy a phone that lists an upgrade within the features.

This goes with everything computing, though it is generally easier to upgrade things that are nearer to general purpose computing than embedded.

I'm not making excuses i'm being realistic, not everyone is like me or has the same needs I do out of a PC, or a smart phone. The question was why would anyone buy a lumia 900 now when it can't get upgraded to WP8? The simple answer to that is that it depends on the users needs at the time. The missing features you have in mind are things you care about getting of course so for you it makes no sense to buy this device but others who don't need those, and are ok with what the device can do today are fine with buying it.

It's not an excuse, it's the way the market works.

If you're really interested in being realistic, you might care to acknowledge that whether users care or not, the fact is that they're not going to get WP8 and will be stuck with WP7's comparatively limited capabilities and dead-ended ecosystem. If you are going to pay money and commit to a contract, it makes zero sense to get a phone with less features, instead of more.

A customer is going to get locked into a contract. He has a choice of phone A, with more features, and phone B, with less features. Regardless of whether the customer needs the extra features or not, it's simply stupid to choose less features when you pay the same amount of money for it. It's a two year contract, you never know when the extra features might come in handy. I hope you're not going around encouraging anyone to buy a WP7 device now, because that's be nothing short of irresponsible.

I usually keep computer for less than a year and I keep my phone for around 2-3 years

Here in the Netherlands no carrier offers three-year contracts and one-year contracts are reasonably priced. Even with high end phones. These days development around phones tend to go faster than computers.