good deed florida

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 TEX4S

TEX4S

Neowinian Senior

• 6,857 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:04

Im sure there are some attorneys out there looking to get some quick money & notoriety. They could do some pro bono work. Raise a bunch of stink, make sure the case hits all news channels & they are probably going to get some $$ since Wal-mart wont want to look like the ridiculous behemoth they are - offer her $50,000 & she'll be happy.

Hearing stories like this just reaffirms how lucky I am to be working for the company I do. They will go to great lengths to make sure the employees are happy.

During Katrina, our Louisiana salesperson left her home when everyone else (the smart people) left. The company put her and her entire family in a room @ the Four Seasons for an entire month here in Dallas -

As much as the greeters are made fun of, I actually feel sorry for her & hope she gets what she deserves. What a loathsome company

#62 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,861 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 17:38

Why don't I ever get grabbed at Wal-Mart .... :/

#63 chillipig

chillipig

Neowinian

• 53 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:19

Lets keep it in context. The woman wasn't pushed in an attempt by the customer to get her back out of anger. The customer was pushing the woman to stop her from unlawfully detaining her somewhere she didn't want to be which happens to be illegal in the United States. A manager made the (poor)decision to put this woman in this place that should have been done by security and should be punished for that, however, the women still broke the rules and touched a customer. The difference is a min wage worker is a worthless assest because it costs nothing to replace them while dealing with the discrimination lawsuit of not firing her would cost millions. Because of this, everyone gets the same no second chance harsh treatment.

Why would firing the employee prevent a lawsuit? The customer can sue regardless.

I'm pretty sure putting the meet & greeter in a position where she has to make a split second decision by choosing either her health or her job by touching or not touching the customer is a blatant abuse of her human rights.

Wallmart have broken both US and International laws here and regardless of how textbook you want to see it Wallmart do not have the right to make such rules, its like them insisting all employees do 200 press ups if they take more than 2 minutes in the toilet.

All right minded people should comdemn the treatment of this poor woman for the sick torture it is.

#64 Guest_nicconics_*

Guest_nicconics_*

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:23

Why would firing the employee prevent a lawsuit? The customer can sue regardless.

I'm pretty sure putting the meet & greeter in a position where she has to make a split second decision by choosing either her health or her job by touching or not touching the customer is a blatant abuse of her human rights.

Wallmart have broken both US and International laws here and regardless of how textbook you want to see it Wallmart do not have the right to make such rules, its like them insisting all employees do 200 press ups if they take more than 2 minutes in the toilet.

All right minded people should comdemn the treatment of this poor woman for the sick torture it is.

The bad thing is, you don't have human rights anymore in the US as a worker. I am not advocating unions, as they have done as much bad as they have done good, but it seems without them a company can do what it wants to do regardless. You have companies now that if you get hurt on the job, they can fire you without paying for your care, or if they decide to, drop your pay to minimum wage on a 'whim' welcome to the good ol' US of A. Land of the free....

#65 ryokurin

ryokurin

Neowinian

• 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:41

Walmart is probably one of the worst corporations to work for.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's competitive to what other minimal wage jobs pay in the same area and the benefit prices are comprable as well. When you are only making 19-21k a year (which is common for almost any retail job) that extra 30-50 dollars a check for various benefits begin to sting. I worked at various walmarts for almost 5 years and compared to the other retail stores I worked at it's no different. About the only ones who pay exceptionally well is Costco and Whole Foods.

#66 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:45

^ Is that why Wal-Mart has been sued and fined for employee treatment ?

#67 ryokurin

ryokurin

Neowinian

• 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:46

Probably should point out too that she likely was going to be fired soon anyways as Wal-Mart eliminated greeters back in February. If they were able, they could do stock but with most of them being elderly I'm sure most were let go.

#68 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,861 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:49

^ Thank goodness they eliminated greeters ! They were damned annoying. I don't want a cart shoved at me ...

#69 ryokurin

ryokurin

Neowinian

• 35 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 15:49

^ Is that why Wal-Mart has been sued and fined for employee treatment ?

Yes they were, but that was in the late 90s and early 00s. And I did take part in the lawsuits and received compensation for some of it. But from experience from working in other stores a lot of managers at other companies try to pull the same crap to workers who don't know their rights. They aren't innocent, but you should just say that retail in general treats their employees badly because they can always replace you.

#70 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• 3,392 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 13 July 2012 - 16:24

why was a 73 year old woman, who's body is frail, put on guard duty at Wall mart on black friday? That manager should be fired.

#71 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• 4,640 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:09

Too bad the old lady didn't get a Web Redemption on Tosh.O. :((

#72 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,861 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 15:35

They aren't innocent, but you should just say that retail in general treats their employees badly because they can always replace you.

And customers can replace the stores they shop at. :)

#73 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:33

It's not as bad as people make it out to be. It's competitive to what other minimal wage jobs pay in the same area and the benefit prices are comprable as well.

Walmart is one of the richest companies in the world, yet they can only manage to pay minimum wage?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!