Photo

To use adblockers or not to use adblockers?

ad blocker adblocker

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Ad Blockers (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use an ad blocker (or IE9s TPLs)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Is it ethical to use an ad blocker

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:20

Hey!
I've started using some TPLs in IE10, and I really like reading Neowin without those annoying text ads :p I'd install ad blockers on all of my browsers, but (being a web developer myself) I don't entirely feel comfortable with the idea of taking away the major source of income for the sites that I use for free. I understand that my ad views represent a miniscule part of Neowin's (or any sites) overall income, but still, it's the whole 'what if everybody did that?' idea that's got me worried.

what do you guys think? do you use an adblocker, do you think it's ethical, and why?
Thanks ;)

#2 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:27

Adverts are not only intrusive but they pose a security risk and have a considerable impact upon browser performance. The best option is to install an ad-blocker and disable it for websites that you want to support.

#3 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:33

Do you click on them, ever? If not, then block them with a clear conscience. (yes I'm aware you can generate income without clicks too)

Once a month you can turn the ad-blocker off and go on a frenzied clicking spree.

#4 OP Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2012 - 00:45

looks like the sentiment here is the same - to use an adblocker :D
but I do think I'll take Shiranui's tip and go on a clicking spree once a month or so ;)

thanks again!

#5 count0nz

count0nz

A Geek4Hire

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:07

Same I don't mind the Ad's I unblock Neowin from Time to time and click on a Few Ad's to help out.

But what I HATE...

Those Ad's with Sound.. I visited guildwars2guru the other day and had 2 or 3 playing all at the same time.
I Closed the Tab. and Installed Adblock+...

I also Emailed the Sites contact to let them know how bad my Esperance was. that to me was Unacceptable.

Btw I never received a Reply ..
I love Neowin. I normally Brose here with Ad's enabled.

#6 giantpotato

giantpotato

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:08

Wow, I'm the only person so far who thinks it's unethical to use an ad blocker? Disappointing that so many people think that way. I guess it's just another sign of the entitlement generation who feel entitled to take anything they want for free, and provide absolutely nothing in return.

#7 +Kondrath

Kondrath

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:10

I disable it on sites I really like, but I keep it up on giant sites like YouTube to avoid sitting through commercials and stuff.

#8 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15

Wow, I'm the only person so far who thinks it's unethical to use an ad blocker? Disappointing that so many people think that way. I guess it's just another sign of the entitlement generation who feel entitled to take anything they want for free, and provide absolutely nothing in return.

No. Most people are sick of having ads pushed down our throat constantly.

Pay for a blu-ray/dvd. Go through 15 minutes of non-skippable ads. Not to mention many movies are clearly just giant advertisements for certain brands.
Pay for television. Cable isn't cheap nowadays and yet we usually have like 10 minutes of TV and 5 minutes of commercials and repeat.
Pay for services. Still get ads pushed down our throats. XBox Live comes to mind.

And etc.

#9 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:20

I use an ad blocker whenever I'm in Chrome, and disable for sites that I find valuable. I say it's unethical because you deprive the website owners of the revenue needed to operate the site. However, on sites that seemingly go out of there way to annoy you with ads, I don't feel bad about blocking because they annoy the hell out of me.

Bandwidth wasting video ads, ads that make noise, ones that cover up content and move when you scroll, are among the ones that get the hosting site not whitelisted in my ad blocker.

Plus as has been stated in this thread, ad blocking carries security benefits as well in the event an ad network gets compromised by malware

#10 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25

I use AdBlocker and I'm not ashamed of using it. Why? I can tolerate jpeg/gif ads... I can't tolerate Flash/Videos Ads using my bandwidth and annoying me. I don't want you to take the right to use my bandwidth and my speakers/headphones without my consent.

Too many sites have exaggerated in the past... now they pay for their decision of pushing intrusive ads and wasting people's bandwidth without any embarassement

#11 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:26

There's a fine line when it comes to ads. I was fine with them back in the day when they stayed out of your way. The moment they became "pushy" and "in your face" is the day I had enough. Not to mention they took up an excessive amount of space on certain pages, and for a while became an attack vector for malware. Pop ups, pop unders, flash based, text based, Intellitext (Worst offender, IMO), etc. You name it, I had enough.

Since I pay for Internet service - AKA *CONTENT*, and not advertising services, I had to install an adblocker to take back MY Internet. Of course I'm not above whitelisting sites that play nice with users, Like Neowin, however I still do block a good majority of the sites I go to.

#12 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:29

They are intrusive and a lot of time, buggy as hell and causes issues with the browser. Depends on the kind of ads. Also, a lot of times the link to an ad is down and the page will not load because of it . So I will go in and block the website (normally a site dishing out ads) and then the page will load.

#13 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:29

I use an Ablocker and Ghostery and whitelist any sites/trackers I find useful/support.

#14 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:30

No, I don't think using adblocking is unethical. I'm sorry but so many web authors these days pay no attention to the impact their ads have on users. And they increase the loading time of most web pages significantly.

Unless a website specifically implies in it's TOS that you're required to view their ads to use the service then legally there is no wrongdoing if you block them. It's up to the provider of the content to find ways to make their business viable, not me as a user.

#15 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:31

When it can infringe on my security, hell ya I will block whatever I want. I block the same things on my familys systems as well. Why? Because I am sick of cleaning up their PCs after they click on adverts that install malware.