OS X Mountain Lion reaches golden master status

He's said this about laptop/tablet hybrids, but has he ever said the same about the OS? (source please)

On Tuesday, as part of an on stage interview at The Wall Street Journal's D10 conference, Cook took some time to take on the Windows 8 hybrid model once again. When asked what's wrong with that kind of approach, Cook said, "In my view, the tablet and the PC are different. You can do things with the tablet if you are not encumbered by the legacy of the PC."

http://www.neowin.ne...windows-8-again and http://allthingsd.com/20120529/live-apple-ceo-tim-cooks-first-time-in-the-hot-seat-at-d/

He's said this about laptop/tablet hybrids, but has he ever said the same about the OS? (source please)

Whilst true, there's no more benefit from having one OS but applications being hardware-targeted.

Actually, in a way they are "one" OS in a VERY VERY loose way already, iOS is based on Mac OS X.

Glassed Silver:mac

No. Apple calls their desktop and mobile operating systems "OS X" and "iOS" respectively.

Yeah, sorry, i got confused about how it was they changed it. :)

Whilst true [?]

Did you read the above link? You can clearly distillate from the interview Apple isn't after the one-OS-fits-all model because Macs and iPads are very different from each other. They talk about "putting a single operating system on tablets, PCs and devices that are a hybrid of the two". Not just hybrids like Josh the Nerd claimed.

just wish apple would come up with something new move on from osX

Why if people are happy with OS X? :huh:

Let's not provoke another metroll thread...

I see what you did there. :shifty:

• Like 1

I do think at some point in time Apple will merge iOS and OSX. I don't know when that will be but I sure am they are working towards that goal. Its question of doing in an elegant manner. It can be done correctly but you have wait until hardware and software are ready. Not in-artful way microsoft has done it.

Did you read the above link? You can clearly distillate from the interview Apple isn't after the one-OS-fits-all model because Macs and iPads are very different from each other. They talk about "putting a single operating system on tablets, PCs and devices that are a hybrid of the two". Not just hybrids like Josh the Nerd claimed.

I just watched that part of the interview. Although Walt did mention in his question about Microsoft's approach that they run the same OS, the discussion was ultimately about making a tablet and a PC the same device.

http://allthingsd.co...nterview-video/ (starting about 6:10)

I know.

That was not what I was trying to say :p

The "truth" I acknowledged was pointed to the rhetorical (as I perceived it in the moment of replying) question whether they ever talked about not unifying the actual OS. ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

So by your standards Windows 8 is just a minor change it actually being Windows v6.2? And don't give me that "compatibility" nonsense.

Windows 8 (& 7 for that matter) really kinda is a minor change, the overall changes from vista to 8 are not all that greater than the changes from leopard to lion
How refreshing, the "change for the sake of change" argument.

how is it change for the sake of change? I bet you didn't say it was change for the sake of change when apple transitioned from OS 9 to OS X. if there's a big enough change / improvement to the OS I'd say it's logical to jump to the next number. and it's by that very reason I say I can't wait to see what Mac OS becomes when Apple finally jumps to 11

how is it change for the sake of change? I bet you didn't say it was change for the sake of change when apple transitioned from OS 9 to OS X. if there's a big enough change / improvement to the OS I'd say it's logical to jump to the next number. and it's by that very reason I say I can't wait to see what Mac OS becomes when Apple finally jumps to 11

Because the situation was totally different from today's. Back in 2001 Mac OS 9 had major limitations and issues that couldn't be resolved using the same codebase. Apple tried for years but failed: Classic Mac OS hit the end of the road. Obvious limitations of the same magnitude don't exist in OS X today. In fact, OS X turns out to be highly versatile. As such there simply isn't a need for a similar shift in technology and Apple can continue to improve upon the same base. So yeah, right now it would be change of the sake of change.

I just watched that part of the interview. Although Walt did mention in his question about Microsoft's approach that they run the same OS, the discussion was ultimately about making a tablet and a PC the same device.

The original question still stands and in the end it really doesn't change much: A tablet/PC hybrid would basically require a desktop/mobile OS hybrid like Windows 8.

• Like 1

The "X" in OS X is no longer a version number by now. OS X is a brand. Like Windows.

• Like 3

Cute. It's the other way around actually: Microsoft (Steve Ballmer) desperately needs Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to be a success. Apple already has a proven concept that's doing incredibly well.

I agree. Microsoft desperately needs Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to be a success, and Apple already has a proven concept that's doing incredibly well. However, Windows 8 represents a pretty major shift. If it is successful, it will be at the expense of Apple and Android.

Let's not discus here whether or not Windows 8 will be a success. My only point is that if it is, there will be significant pressure on Tim Cook to respond.

On Topic:

I do have a Macbook with Lion installed. I'll see if it's comparable with Mountain Lion, but I'm pretty sure Apple dumped support for my hardware. I'm not very happy about that.

Let's not discus here whether or not Windows 8 will be a success. My only point is that if it is, there will be significant pressure on Tim Cook to respond.

Apple will do what they always did: Continue to release new products. There doesn't have to be a specific respond any different from what the company's already doing today.

But not vice versa.

There wouldn't be much point to a hybrid OS without the hardware. Not to mention the you'll most likely end up with a half-assed experience on the iPad and Mac compared to today's situation. Which is something Tim Cook does basically say in the interview.

The longer iOS and OSX exist, the more often I find applications that I want to run on both devices (without paying twice or trying to get them to sync up), but I don't think I want to see them overlap like Windows 8 is trying. Or, maybe I do. If I could run iOS apps in OSX in a window, that would be pretty great. It's what MS is trying to do with the Metro tiles, but I think we're still a few years away from seeing the sort of mobile / desktop harmony the end user will appreciate.

• Like 1