41 replies to this topic

#16 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:13

i'm not completely sure but I think he meant OS XI not IX

You'd think?

Anyway, Tim Cook specifically said they're not going after the Windows 8 model as one OS does not fit all. So unless Macs drastically change I don't see a full unification of OS X and iOS happing anytime soon.

well they have to go to 11.0 eventually

Actually, they don't have to do anything.

#17 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:24

I swear, if I were the CEO of Apple I'd stick with "OS X" until the Second Coming of Christ just to screw with all those people who keep obsessing over its version number.

#18 +Brando212

Brando212

Causer of disasters

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:33

I swear, if I were the CEO of Apple I'd stick with "OS X" until the Second Coming of Christ just to screw with all those people who keep obsessing over its version number.

it's not about obsessing over the version number, it's about big change / improvement. that's the whole point of a full version number increment for an OS

I'm sure when Apple does do OS XI / 11 it will bring great things

it's been about 10 years since OS X and it has brought some great things, but i believe it's nearing about time to move on to the next

#19 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:45

Anyway, Tim Cook specifically said they're not going after the Windows 8 model as one OS does not fit all. So unless Macs drastically change I don't see a full unification of OS X and iOS happing anytime soon.

Unless Windows 8 does well. They are probably hanging back, waiting to see what happens. Apple (Tim Cook) desperately wants (needs) Windows 8 to fail.

#20 Emil2k

Emil2k

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:50

Well, Apple doesnt name their OS "Mac OS X" anymore, its just "Mac OS" and "iOS".

#21 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:54

it's not about obsessing over the version number, it's about big change / improvement. that's the whole point of a full version number increment for an OS

So by your standards Windows 8 is just a minor change it actually being Windows v6.2? And don't give me that "compatibility" nonsense.

it's been about 10 years since OS X and it has brought some great things, but i believe it's nearing about time to move on to the next

How refreshing, the "change for the sake of change" argument.

#22 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 10 July 2012 - 22:55

Well, Apple doesnt name their OS "Mac OS X" anymore, its just "Mac OS" and "iOS".

No. Apple calls their desktop and mobile operating systems "OS X" and "iOS" respectively.

Unless Windows 8 does well. They are probably hanging back, waiting to see what happens. Apple (Tim Cook) desperately wants (needs) Windows 8 to fail.

Cute. It's the other way around actually: Microsoft (Steve Ballmer) desperately needs Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 to be a success. Apple already has a proven concept that's doing incredibly well.

#23 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:00

I really wonder if Apple will continue this yearly smaller release trend. Let's hope so. (Y)

Yes, they will.
They announced that last year. :)

well they have to go to 11.0 eventually

Nope, not really.

+1 :laugh:
I'm telling you, I like my "Mac OS X" (meh on dropping the "Mac"), I'd keep it in place forever if I was in charge :p

Let's not provoke another metroll thread...

Glassed Silver:mac

#24 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:04

just wish apple would come up with something new move on from osX

#25 Josh the Nerd

Josh the Nerd

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:08

He's said this about laptop/tablet hybrids, but has he ever said the same about the OS? (source please)

#26 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:16

He's said this about laptop/tablet hybrids, but has he ever said the same about the OS? (source please)

On Tuesday, as part of an on stage interview at The Wall Street Journal's D10 conference, Cook took some time to take on the Windows 8 hybrid model once again. When asked what's wrong with that kind of approach, Cook said, "In my view, the tablet and the PC are different. You can do things with the tablet if you are not encumbered by the legacy of the PC."

http://www.neowin.ne...windows-8-again and http://allthingsd.co...-hot-seat-at-d/

#27 Glassed Silver

Glassed Silver

☆♡Neowin's portion of Crazy♡☆

• Phone: iPhone 5 64GB Black (6.0.2)

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:20

Whilst true, there's no more benefit from having one OS but applications being hardware-targeted.

Actually, in a way they are "one" OS in a VERY VERY loose way already, iOS is based on Mac OS X.

Glassed Silver:mac

#28 Emil2k

Emil2k

Neowinian

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:20

No. Apple calls their desktop and mobile operating systems "OS X" and "iOS" respectively.

Yeah, sorry, i got confused about how it was they changed it. :)

#29 .Neo

.Neo

Generic User

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:23

Whilst true […]

Did you read the above link? You can clearly distillate from the interview Apple isn't after the one-OS-fits-all model because Macs and iPads are very different from each other. They talk about "putting a single operating system on tablets, PCs and devices that are a hybrid of the two". Not just hybrids like Josh the Nerd claimed.

#30 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII

Posted 10 July 2012 - 23:31

just wish apple would come up with something new move on from osX

Why if people are happy with OS X? :huh:

Let's not provoke another metroll thread...

I see what you did there. :shifty:

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!