• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,020 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:09

Ugh, yes, the addon issue was annoying. I couldn't update unless AdBlock and NoScript were working.

#17 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,475 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:25

I was one of the few that condemned this "rapid release cycle" as complete nonsense right off the bat. Now, it isn't killing me - I'm on Nightly, updates come every day, sometimes twice a day. Forces me to relax a bit, close tabs I actually wouldn't/shouldn't care, recycle browser and thus clear cookies and crap. It's funny though that I don't see any other merit. There haven't been tangible changes back from version 5, except addons breaking left and right, me thinks.

Mozilla should pull their heads out of their asses and stop living in the past and implement things that matter, for example, multi-process tabs, mulled over for years. Those little JavaScript craptimizations are worthless if main thread stops responding because some other tab could not complete in a timely manner.

If I hadn't configured it to my liking (and no other browser allows me to do it so extensively), I'd drop Firefox on the spot. No wonder at all that other, less or no OCD stricken, people easily do.

#18 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,100 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:26

I remember for awhile there circa 2008 and before??? that, we waited for the newest release, they designed and developed on a rather normal cycle which lead me to believe it was a quality product. now what? win8 won't allow other browsers to play on it too? if this is true.. I see another anti-trust case slapping MS from all over.

But Firefox in and of itself has... lost it's drive and core values. they added too much cruft and bloat for my taste

#19 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,559 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:29

I love the new faster updates. I guess for GNU/Linux users it's easier to manage within the existing package management framework. As far as Windows is concerned, I'm sure silent updates will remedy the situation.

#20 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,402 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:34

Adding silent updates is great for keeping people, who either refuse or don't know how, up to date. However, if they continue to change the UI as often as they do, only now in silent updates, they're going to change the most important piece of the software without the knowledge or consent of the user. That is a big deal.

I would argue there are bigger problems with the browser other than the rapid release cycle. (which isn't that big a deal) I just hope Mozilla can slow down, take a deep breath, and get back on the right track.

#21 Vice

Vice

Bye!

• 15,877 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:38

Personally I switched from Firefox to Chrome because of performance issues. They may have fixed that now but things are so good on Chrome right now that I have no incentive to switch back. If Chrome starts to suck however I'd try Firefox again.

#22 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:48

I don't know what release they were included in, but I like Firefox's newer developer tools more than the ones in Chrome. I've also had fewer issues with Firefox, and lately I've barely even noticed the updating, and haven't had any plugins crash.

I might be biased though, I don't like using browser made by companies that have a vested interest in you using their browser (Internet Explorer -> Bing, Chrome -> Google), so Firefox (and Safari) would have to get a lot worse before I'd stop using them.

#23 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,459 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:56

I switched because:
- rapid release cycle - the stupidest thing ever to happen to firefox
- the add-on issues were highly annoying (even before the rapid release cycle)
- performance was slower compared to chrome
- cross platform - chrome is much faster on android than firefox mobile

#24 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• 10,807 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:14

This guy should speak for himself, I like the new release cycle.

#25 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,387 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:16

Maybe that explains why they still can't support retina on OSX Posted Image It's pretty sad to watch the devs on FF's bugzilla try to figure out how to support it.

#26 The Laughing Man

The Laughing Man

Neowinian Senior

• 2,964 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 13:21

Up until a year ago when the whole "lets get our version number up higher for stats" crap started I dropped Firefox after using it since the beginning when it was Mozilla Firebird. I have been using chrome ever since.

#27 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

• 22,387 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 14:40

Up until a year ago when the whole "lets get our version number up higher for stats" crap started I dropped Firefox after using it since the beginning when it was Mozilla Firebird. I have been using chrome ever since.

Because Chrome doesn't change their version number very often :rolleyes:

#28 mancode20

mancode20

Neowinian

• 880 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 17:08

I don't know why people are complaining. I'm using the latest beta of Firefox 14 Portable, which I believe is Beta 10, and it's lightning fast now!! They changed something to make it render faster, so pages load instantly, and it's WAY MORE RESPONSIVE when switching tabs, or even tab groups when using TabGroups Manager. It's instant now!! The start-up time is fast enough for me, and improvements are coming. I like the new panel based download manager in Firefox 14 as well, but it annoys me how Firefox never wants to remember my last used download directory. I'm trying to find a good extension to deal with that small issue. The ONLY MAJOR ISSUE I see with Firefox, is that sometimes you do get a page that can lock up the browser for a couple of minutes, but it always seems to come back. That is annoying, and I understand they are working on that with the SuperSnappy project as well. The ONLY thing I miss when using Firefox compared to Chrome, the smooth animated tabs, cause I like to put my tabs in a certain order and it's much easier and more fluid the way Chrome handles it. That's the thing Chrome has over Firefox in my opinion, and that's not even that big of a deal! They are working on that as well, if they can fix the bugs it causes. Once Firefox 15 adds silent updates, and 16 or some later version finally adds animated tabs and the SuperSnappy project, Firefox will be perfect in my opinion! Maybe you guys are using bad add-ons if you think it's slow, not as fast as Chrome, etc. I'm loving Firefox and can't wait til it gets even better!! Great job, Mozilla team!! The new release cycle has obviously paid off.

#29 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• 2,742 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 10 July 2012 - 17:22

I switched because:
- rapid release cycle - the stupidest thing ever to happen to firefox
- the add-on issues were highly annoying (even before the rapid release cycle)
- performance was slower compared to chrome
- cross platform - chrome is much faster on android than firefox mobile

Use latest firefox on desktop and on android , for once , to see how they have improved.

#30 Anthonyd

Anthonyd

Neowinian

• 1,216 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 17:24

Stupidest reason ever.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!