OUYA: $99 Game Console

With the announcement of XBMC for Android i can see this been a great little networked media player too, hopefully this can be made viable as i would get one for XBMC!

If I can connect a keyboard and mouse to it and use it as a mini-PC, I'm intrigued. Otherwise it's just another third-rate Linux project (e.g. Raspberry Pi).

31,821 BACKERS

$4,086,852 PLEDGED OF $950,000 GOAL

27 DAYS TO GO

----------------------------------------------------------

It's impressive the amount they are getting. People must really like the idea.

Probably a lot of people like me are bored by all the big sequels and lack of risk big companies like EA, Ubisoft, Square/Enix and Activision/Blizzard are willing to take.

I think about it and i must play like 10 sequels in a year and maybe 1 original title. Games like first The Witcher are rare these days.

The best game i played lately is Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery an iOS game. When you consider all the money invested in crap like what CoD has become it's a shame.

If at the end of the day, this can just run a NES/SNES Emulator so I can play all my old games.. I'd be happy..

If it can do more, great..

Good idea ;)

Getting closer and closer to the $5 million mark... I hope they use this money in a good, inovative way. I don't know were I've read that Microsoft is supposed to come out with a simple $99 console to play small Xbox Live game. This could be some form of competition....

Just read the interview, I am even more excited if that was possible. I feel this is potentially going to be the best $99 I have ever spent. And admittedly, it also could potentially be the worse. Although I do highly doubt that will wind up being the case. That is why I am so damn into this little project at the end of the day. As the saying goes, the suspense is killing me. :laugh:

I just HATE the name. Not sure why, it bothers me though. :rofl:

Thanks for sharing. (Y)

I just want to know when we get to reserve our screen names. DirtyLarry better not be taken. :D Okay, got a podcast to do.

:facepalm:

The true facepalm moment is you quoting this completely out of context, once again showing your true colors as disliking anything positive being said about Sony.

Since your blind hatred makes you incapable of rational thought, let me explain it for you. Sony started embracing THIS PARTICULAR DEVELOPERS games with the PSP Minis program that run on both PSP/Vita and PS3. He was saying this in reference to himself, not the entire games industry.

The true facepalm moment is you quoting this completely out of context, once again showing your true colors as disliking anything positive being said about Sony.

Since your blind hatred makes you incapable of rational thought, let me explain it for you. Sony started embracing THIS PARTICULAR DEVELOPERS games with the PSP Minis program that run on both PSP/Vita and PS3. He was saying this in reference to himself, not the entire games industry.

What blind hatred. I don't think you quite understood my point with that, it had nothign to do with sony, and everything to do with how unreliable Indie devs are as a source for credible gaming industry news. That was only one example of the indie devs being more fanboys than professional devs, and I didn't quote out of context, I was going to quote it all, but that was the important part.

So maybe you shoudl put on a coat of professionalism when you have a "reporter" badge and stop telling people they're fanboys and hate Sony (yeah that's why I just bought a Sony Xperia S :rolleyes:) If you're going to be a reporter, then act like one, act professional.

You're also wrong, he wasn't tlakign about himself. maybe you shoudl read it yoruself

Brian Provinciano (Retro City Rampage): It's a good thing, for sure. The more platforms, the better. However, Sony and Nintendo have become very welcoming to indies as well. I'm pretty much a one-person developer yet I feel both treat me as well as they do the bigger companies. They're really embracing indies. Sony started with their PSP Minis program (where your games run on both PSP and PS3) and now has PlayStation Mobile which is completely open (enabling your game to run on PS Vita and Android devices). The SDK for PS Mobile can be downloaded today and it's completely free. For indies wanting to put in the extra work to release full-blown games on consoles such as PS3 or Wii, both Sony and Nintendo allow developers to self-publish, enabling us to be true indies.

He's sayign Sony was the ones who started embracing indies. He's not saying they where the first to embrace him.

I don't really care either way, there's very few games in the indie category I play. "most games labeled as India aren't in truth. they're just small games by very small studios. and yes, they are per definition indie, but not as indie as most like to make out they are.

in any case, it seems users are far more eager to embrace this device than the devs are. Since the big studios don't want to touch it, the quality "indie" devs don't want to touch it until it's proven itself. that only leaves the true indie devs, the guys making the games noone really is buying or playing on the indie game settings. So that leaves this box as a XBMC box and for playing hacked android games with a controller.

It's an interesting device. but since both my Tv's have an Xbox I have no use for it, outside of a media box, and for that there are better solutions. So I fear they're making a device for which there is no market. Granted at their current level, if everyone only donated to buy a device they've already sold over 40 000, which is kind of impressive, but also to little to make any kind of mark.Xbox and PS3 each sells 5-10 times that a month. As an indie dev wanting to make money would I spend my money on millions of possible customers or a potential 40k ? The bonus is that it'll be easy for all the android devs to add controller support to their games and slap them on this thing. but they have to question as well. is it worth it. will peopel play Angry Birds, Temple Run, Amazing alex and all these games designed specifically for touch screen and tilt controls on a console. Angy birds has proven that yes they will, but they have an easy job of adapting than most, and there's the rub again. it's already available on everything from XBLA to Samsung TV's.

In fact these guys would be better off selling their controller to Samsung and make sure they included a Tegrea 3 or 4 in all their new Smart TV's and license their game software to use in these smart TV's. they have better sales as well and a bigger potential audience.

In fact these guys would be better off selling their controller to Samsung and make sure they included a Tegrea 3 or 4 in all their new Smart TV's and license their game software to use in these smart TV's. they have better sales as well and a bigger potential audience.

Nope.

If they're as far along as they claim, it's a bit weird they don't have any prototype parts of the console case, or controller or motherboard or anything to show of yet, just fairly bad concept renders, who don't even appear to have been done in an actual CAD app but rather a 3D art suite due to the effects.

I suspect this is not quite as close to release as they claim. (yes I know they are quite a bit far off, but testing electronics before productions is a very long procedure, and tooling is even longer, and even then they need to do a test run to make sure that all the final toolings and stuff work and results in working and solid non buggy products, this is not a few months of work.) I very much doubt this thing will see the light of day until very late next year at best.