Noob rooter here, need backup

Hey guys, I am very new to android and am trying to backup everything before I start playing around. with my iphone, there was always a pretty much fail safe way to restore to the original and start all over.

Is this possible with androids? What do I need to download? I have a GS3 At&t version.

If you rooted the phone already you can use Titanium Backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd). Also I am pretty sure Samsung's Kies software has some backup options. It would be similair to the iTunes software for your iPhone. (http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/)

http://www.vikitech.com/10347/perform-nandroid-backup-restore-android-device

^--perform a Nandroid backup before you start going nuts with uninstalling/deleting stuff to remove bloatware

After performing the backup, get Titanium Backup. Then, Google around your particular phone model + "bloatware removal" and find forums where people discuss which apps can be safely deleted. Then use Titanium Backup and delete/uninstall those apps!

I would do other things than what previous guys have said ..

I would do a KIES backup of your phone (complete backup) ...

then, I would root it (head to XDA forum and look for your model and the steps needed - ask questions if you dono and we'll help you out) ..

after which install a custom rom .... I use CM9 (which includes kernel so there is no need for you to jump kernels atm.) only then after install whatever you want including titanium bakcup (I actually have no use for it and have ignored it because rooting installs CWM - ClockWorkOrange which gives you the backing up ability to SD card - strongly suggest you have one even if your phone has 64GB

I would do other things than what previous guys have said ..

I would do a KIES backup of your phone (complete backup) ...

then, I would root it (head to XDA forum and look for your model and the steps needed - ask questions if you dono and we'll help you out) ..

after which install a custom rom .... I use CM9 (which includes kernel so there is no need for you to jump kernels atm.) only then after install whatever you want including titanium bakcup (I actually have no use for it and have ignored it because rooting installs CWM - ClockWorkOrange which gives you the backing up ability to SD card - strongly suggest you have one even if your phone has 64GB

I think you mean ClockworkMod :laugh:

I use Titanium Backup (in addition to CWM) because you can backup and restore individual apps and their app data (and even system settings in some cases). You don't have to re-configure all of your apps every time you flash a different ROM nor do you have to wait for them to download and install from the Play Store. It also comes in handy if an app gets an update that you don't like so much - you can easily downgrade to backed-up version with a few taps.