Android 4.1 Jelly Bean begins rolling out to the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus

Android 4.1 Jelly Bean begins rolling out to the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus

We knew it was just a matter of time, and now Google has announced that Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has begun rolling out to the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus. For owners of the phone, the new OS will be appearing over the next few days as an over-the-air update, bringing Google Now, an improved keyboard, and several other features we covered in our extensive review of Android's latest iteration. The HSPA+ model won't be the only one getting the update either, with Google confirming that all Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, and Motorola Xoom devices are on the list for Jelly Bean in the coming weeks and months.

One outstanding question, however, has been whether the Jelly Bean update will include changes to the unified search functionality that has been a point of contention between Apple and Samsung. Google and Samsung had been planning an OTA update to Ice Cream Sandwich that would remove any local search results from the Galaxy Nexus in favor of web-only results. We've reached out to Google for confirmation on any search changes and will update you as more information becomes available.

Update: A Google spokesperson has informed us that the company has not pushed out any changes to search functionality in connection with the Jelly Bean update.

Source: The Verge

Eventually. Considering how long it took Samsung to upgrade the S2 to ICS you're in for a wait of several months though.

Eventually. Considering how long it took Samsung to upgrade the S2 to ICS you're in for a wait of several months though.

Gingerbread to ICS is a huge change so Samsung(or any manufacturer) took time to upgrade.

ICS to JB is going to be minor... Cyanogenmod is a good example.

I may have to jailbreak. I'm ready to see jelly bean.

weird you said jailbreak!!! Android users say it as root!! I know root and jailbreak are the same.

I flashed my Nexus back to the facotry ICS last night and I pulled the Jelly Bean update over OTA. Loving this upgrade!

I got the automatic upgrade just now. I like the improvements, though Voice Search doesn't understand all the things I am saying. Curse my Englishness!

I hope if this ever does come to the S3 that samsung fix the damn problem of not being able to move data to the SD Card. With modern games etc 11GB of usable internal memory soon gets eaten up, especially as you have to have your Google Play music etc on the internal card etc and games are pushing 2-3GB per install :(

Hopefully the JellyBean rollout will be quicker, as it's practically an Ice Cream Sandwich Service Pack. Although I can see handset manufacturers digging their heels if JellyBean breaks their custom UI's.

Hopefully the JellyBean rollout will be quicker, as it's practically an Ice Cream Sandwich Service Pack. Although I can see handset manufacturers digging their heels if JellyBean breaks their custom UI's.

I don't think anything should really be broken there, nothing really changed with the UI, it was mostly back end improvements and a couple new features

I have a port of the GSM version from Google's I/O conference and Google Now doesn't let me specify a sports team to keep updated scores and highlights on. Can someone confirm if the official OTA lets you specify a team?

I have a port of the GSM version from Google's I/O conference and Google Now doesn't let me specify a sports team to keep updated scores and highlights on. Can someone confirm if the official OTA lets you specify a team?

Search for that team in Google now couple of times and it will pick up your team automatically, will also display you scores and highlights after that.

At least that's how i thought it worked. Dont think there is an option to specify a team but i might be wrong.

There is an option to specify a team you want updates on, but it is grayed out.

Try asking when your team is playing next. Seen people saying that will add the team to the card

Does anyone think it's worth selling an SII for a Galaxy Nexus? I don't like the SIII.

Does anyone think it's worth selling an SII for a Galaxy Nexus? I don't like the SIII.

I think its totally worth buying Galaxy nexus over S2 but you might want to wait and see what the next Nexus will bring.

Try asking when your team is playing next. Seen people saying that will add the team to the card

Done that several times, but it only gives the current info and never has a card with live updates.

Done that several times, but it only gives the current info and never has a card with live updates.

I am not sure then!! I dont have JB on my Nexus yet to test this.

The IO version was Jb 4.1 and google released 4.1.1. so you might also want try to get 4.1.1 from xda.

I am not sure then!! I dont have JB on my Nexus yet to test this.

The IO version was Jb 4.1 and google released 4.1.1. so you might also want try to get 4.1.1 from xda.

Vicious or Jelly Belly are the best JB ROMs so far. Using Jelly Belly myself and works pretty good so far. Minor bugs here and there but the dev released bug updates almost daily so no big deal. And you can find fixes on XDA for all the issues.

So, it came the other day OTA. Here's my thoughts:

+ Speed improvements.

+ New font looks nice.

+ New "Siri" style voice search and task-doer.

+ New style drop down task bar is much nicer.

- Downloaded itself and used over 100Mb of my 500Mb monthly 3G allowance.

- Keyboard now doesn't suggest ? or ! after each word, meaning I have to toggle a button to find it.

~ Installed yet another useless app - Google Play Magazines (can be disabled).

For the voice search thing, I just speak slowly and it works pretty well. Although after asking "will it rain tomorrow", Google tells me it will in London... but I'm not in London. No idea how to change that, not obvious. Also shows the temperature as Fahrenheit, but I work in Centigrade.

For the voice search thing, I just speak slowly and it works pretty well. Although after asking "will it rain tomorrow", Google tells me it will in London... but I'm not in London. No idea how to change that, not obvious. Also shows the temperature as Fahrenheit, but I work in Centigrade.

You can go into the settings in Google Now to change Fahrenheit or Celsius. Maybe try enabling GPS or WiFi to get a more precise city location? Mine picked up my current city, and I have neither turned WiFi or GPS turned on. I'm always on mobile data (yay unlimited data!)