Digg Sells Itself for Pathetic Pocketchange: $500,000

Digg Sells Itself for Pathetic Pocketchange: $500,000

Which one of you rascals just bought Digg! The company, clearly in need of some new cushions for the company cafeteria, just sold itself for a mere half a million dollars. In 2008, it turned down two hundred million.

The site, which once carried the massive internet clout of Reddit?able to make or break (literally) entire websites with its gigantic traffic tsunamis?was just acquired for less than it costs to buy a tiny apartment in New York. The Wall Street Journal reports that the "New York technology development firm Betaworks," which " intends to fold Digg into News.me Inc. a digital media startup that Betaworks launched in April 2011." Considering nobody knows what the hell News.me is, this is goodbye for Digg. Bye, Digg! You'll long remind us of the late 2000s, when Rihanna first captured our hearts, and you were worth actual money.

Source: Gizmodo

Remember, another company acquire all the tech team that made digg, the only thing now is a shell.

It's not surprising considering even the top story at the moment currently has less than 300 diggs.

Does reddit have the same issue that digg had with "power users"?

What made digg worse imo is that it actually promoted a system that allowed a few users to dominate the site.

digg? I remember that I visited them frequently in... 2005? But it got worse and worse even before the now infamous big redesign and I jumped ship to reddit. As did almost everyone it seems. Can't say I feel sorry for them, if Kevin Rose was representative it went from quite charming and funny to douchebag-central very fast.

Site still gets insane amounts of traffic.

No, it doesn't. I stopped going when it went super liberal. Every posting was a bashing of Republicans.

graph?w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=t&b=ffffff&n=666666&r=2y&u=digg.com&

graph?w=400&h=220&o=f&c=1&y=r&b=ffffff&n=666666&r=2y&u=digg.com&

• Like 2

I'd have hung onto it and tried my damnedest to pull it back to as close to $200m as I could

Yeah, I don't think that was ever going to happen.

Yeah, I don't think that was ever going to happen.

Having said that, it's not as though they've really tried to do anything to get people back using the site. It's been as is for ages now.

Having said that, it's not as though they've really tried to do anything to get people back using the site. It's been as is for ages now.

True. You'd think even a little effort would have brought it up to more than $500K.

Wouldn't even want it for nothing roflmao...

Just like Myspace...

Don't buy a sinking ship, because whatever you pay for it, you won't ever get it back, the money slowly sinks to the ground of the wild sea of realities...

Glassed Silver:mac

Digg used to be pretty neat, then it got taken over by a bunch of political extremists. I stopped going there, but didn't know it basically died since then.

No, it doesn't. I stopped going when it went super liberal. Every posting was a bashing of Republicans.

Sounds like another site I know. :p

Digg is not worth even what it sold for.

Digg used to be pretty neat, then it got taken over by a bunch of political extremists. I stopped going there, but didn't know it basically died since then.

OMG, you killed Digg! :-P

It wasn't sold for $500k.. it was sold for $12 million.

Just fyi. It was sold to 3 companies. Betaworks paid $500k but that was only a part of it.

From the WSJ article

Digg confirmed Thursday it sold its brand, website and technology to Betaworks.

and

Digg received higher offers from bidders that included technology and publishing companies and start-ups but ultimately decided Betaworks had the best plan for reviving its brand, these people said.