Heya guys,

so I just bought my first Rasberry Pi and I'm super excited about it and want it to arrive yesterday! :laugh:

I bet I'm not the only one around here who got one and so I created this thread for us Rasberry Pi'ers to

• hang out
  • discuss projects
  • share source code/ideas/concepts/case designs
  • make the waiting game a shorter pain
  • etc...

I'm particularly interested in automation, micro-server application and maybe even creating my own case design and have it 3D printed... idk...

I'll start with embedding a cool Youtube video about the Pi and XBMC

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 2

I'm trying not to think too much about things to do with mine yet with such a wait still to go or I`ll just get sad and impatient !

I have looked into the wireless side of things a little just to make sure it's possible which it seems a few people have managed without too much bother and fingers crossed mounting a USB HDD won't be a problem either

From there the world is my oyster :p

• Like 1

I know you can emulate the image on QEMU on Windows, but I don't particularly fancy booting into Windows...

QEMU is available to OS X, too, no?

Thing is, I'd adore to set up some stuff for it already or develop for it and then when it arrives, I'd clone the image to an SD card and BOOM I'd be running my juicy tasks!

Still looking for either a cheapskate-compatible LCD 10" (sub 40$) or the ASUS VGA-HDMI converter for less than 30 Euros... :p

I ordered my Pi back in April and got it mid June, probably had to wait about 6-8 weeks for it from Farnell UK, i keep seeing people talking about waiting for an email to order it? Dont know if people still are however if your in the UK i got one pretty fast from there.

The Pi interested me because of its extremely low power usage and its capability of playing 1080p video, it could eventually replace the Nettop I have with an Intel Atom and the Nvidia ION chipset for playing HD video content.

Not sure what else I would use it for as I have a low powered home server which acts as a nas, and various other things.

Gooseberry board - http://gooseberry.atspace.co.uk/?page_id=31#ecwid:category=0&mode=product&product=12061571

They have 200 left at ?40 for:

• CPU : A10 1 Ghz
  • Graphics Processor : Mali 400 MHz
  • Operating System : Android 4.03
  • Onboard Storage: 4Gb (upgradeable by Micro SD memory card- 32 gb)
  • Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Connectivity: Ac jack, 1x 3.5mm Earphone Jack, 1x Mini Usb, 1x Hdmi Out, Micro Sd slot
  • Compatible OS's: Android ICS, (Expected to support Ubuntu and Arm Arch linux in the future

It destroys the Pi performance wise, ok so its a little bit bulkier but at the price youd be silly not to.

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. The email said it would be a 11 week delivery!

When it arrives i want to put Raspbmc on it and use it for streaming stuff to my TV instead of my PS3.

I think you are going to be dissappointed, while it can run 1080p video, running XBMC is pretty sluggish, don't count on it being able to run thumbnails/cover art it simply kills performance. You can't run any decent skins either, the stock skin just about runs.

My RPi is just running XBMC on my Upstairs TV. just wish they'd iron out all the darned performance bugs already!

They can't iron out performance bugs, it doesn't have the CPU power.

Apple TV 3 which has 1Ghz Apple A5 chip struggles with XBMC, Boxee Box runs a 1.2Ghz Atom. RPi has 700Mhz CPU and has no chance at running XBMC smoothly.

Anyone need a gentoo image or stuff compiled for it? :p

If you have that, bring it on! :)

lol @ A/V hatery :p

It'll be probably headless for me, something I'll SSH into and that'll work as a micro-server, so what do I care about such luxury! :p

Terminal ftw! :laugh:

I quite like this Gooseberry, but I'll wait a little more and see if it gets Jelly Bean or just buy a Nexus later on when it's dirt cheap, because Android for x86 is partially nasty... >_>

Gooseberry board - http://gooseberry.at...roduct=12061571

They have 200 left at ?40 for:

• CPU : A10 1 Ghz
  • Graphics Processor : Mali 400 MHz
  • Operating System : Android 4.03
  • Onboard Storage: 4Gb (upgradeable by Micro SD memory card- 32 gb)
  • Wifi: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Connectivity: Ac jack, 1x 3.5mm Earphone Jack, 1x Mini Usb, 1x Hdmi Out, Micro Sd slot
  • Compatible OS's: Android ICS, (Expected to support Ubuntu and Arm Arch linux in the future

It destroys the Pi performance wise, ok so its a little bit bulkier but at the price youd be silly not to.

I watched a couple videos about this but seems there is no fully working Linux distro for it, Android is the only one with hardware acceleration or something equally important I forget exactly what otherwise it would be the better option

Not yet it doesn't, people are too focused on the RPi, not many people know about the Gooseberry, I found it by accident.

Give it time though, they have Ubuntu running on it. They sent out 2 of the initial run boards to Arch linux team who are porting it to Gooseberry.

It runs ICS smooth though, something the RPi will never be able to do because lack of ram.

Not yet it doesn't, people are too focused on the RPi, not many people know about the Gooseberry, I found it by accident.

Give it time though, they have Ubuntu running on it. They sent out 2 of the initial run boards to Arch linux team who are porting it to Gooseberry.

It runs ICS smooth though, something the RPi will never be able to do because lack of ram.

Yea it's specs and including of onboard storage and wifi are a nice selling point but I have an Android tab I can plug into HDMI so would prefer a Linux board, once they get Linux ported to it I`ll probably buy one though, the benchmarks video I watched between it and the Pi left the Pi in its dust for the most part

I'll do a DD of my SD card later and put it up.

I don't know why people think the gooseberry is any better, it has NO HARDWARE ACCELLERATION AT ALL if you get linux on it. All it can do is the same as the RPi for decoding h.264 or whatever they've licensed, if you put X11 on it and try to run even fluxbox, it will be so slow it's unusable.

Of course it has hardware acceleration or will have eventually, there are no readily available mali400 drivers yet though. It hasn't had as much press as the RPi has, and it hasn't been out as long.

I know you can emulate the image on QEMU on Windows, but I don't particularly fancy booting into Windows...

QEMU is available to OS X, too, no?

Thing is, I'd adore to set up some stuff for it already or develop for it and then when it arrives, I'd clone the image to an SD card and BOOM I'd be running my juicy tasks!

Still looking for either a cheapskate-compatible LCD 10" (sub 40$) or the ASUS VGA-HDMI converter for less than 30 Euros... :p

I never got QEMU going in OS X so used an Ubuntu VM with QEMU to play with.

Well so far I managed to get a Wake on Lan forwarder running :)

Then installed the Wheezy beta last week and compiled gphoto2 for remote controlling a Canon 7D which kind of worked ok.

Not got wifi going just yet with Wheezy but had it working fine before.

My goal is a remote camera adapter, all the pieces are there just need to tart up and optimise.

Have to say the new Wheezy build is a lot better, there also seems to be a lot of work done on the firmware side, just ordered some stuff for connecting to a breakout board but not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

Just bought a Gooseberry to replace my RPi.

My RPi is ok but very buggy at times and needs constant reboots. I know this is due to the OpenElec build I'm using (I'm using mine as an extender to my XBMC machine downstairs), but I think it will always be lacking.

My only concern about the Gooseberry is that I can't get a LAN connection to it, but since XBMC announced their fully functional Android version I decided to go for it anyway.

No there will not be hardware accelleration because there are no DRI or X11 drivers/modules for it.

And unless the full spec of the GPU is available to very experianced kernel coders (and chances are it isn't, RPis isn't, you need to be under NDA), it will never happen.