No there will not be hardware accelleration because there are no DRI or X11 drivers/modules for it.

And unless the full spec of the GPU is available to very experianced kernel coders (and chances are it isn't, RPis isn't, you need to be under NDA), it will never happen.

http://www.malidevel...lay-drivers.php

Whats this then?

http://www.malideveloper.com/developer-resources/drivers/open-source-mali-gpus-linux-kernel-device-drivers.php

Also this?

Is there any chance of getting flash to work on any of these things?

I know I am probably asking a bit much, butI'm not looking for video playback or anything.

Just basic flash apps that stream audio (as that is what the football club I support use to stream live commentary of their games).

They can't iron out performance bugs, it doesn't have the CPU power.

Apple TV 3 which has 1Ghz Apple A5 chip struggles with XBMC, Boxee Box runs a 1.2Ghz Atom. RPi has 700Mhz CPU and has no chance at running XBMC smoothly.

This is not correct...

NONE of the current OS releases for the RasPi take advantage of the GPU and many other components. Raspian is the first to use the hard float part of the CPU. Additionally there is a USB issue which causes it to use 20% of the CPU even with nothing plugged in (and ethernet goes over USB).

There is MUCH to be done on the PI to make use of the hardware and free up the CPU.

My RPi is ok but very buggy at times and needs constant reboots. I know this is due to the OpenElec build I'm using (I'm using mine as an extender to my XBMC machine downstairs), but I think it will always be lacking.

What mA (mAh) power supply are you using? I was having problems with my Pi at first and then realized I had swapped the 700ma I had intended to use with it with a 550. You need a 700-1200ma for the "B" Pi.

What mA (mAh) power supply are you using? I was having problems with my Pi at first and then realized I had swapped the 700ma I had intended to use with it with a 550. You need a 700-1200ma for the "B" Pi.

Crap. Would 750mAh be enough for a "B"?

It's a 1000ma

They can't iron out performance bugs, it doesn't have the CPU power.

Apple TV 3 which has 1Ghz Apple A5 chip struggles with XBMC, Boxee Box runs a 1.2Ghz Atom. RPi has 700Mhz CPU and has no chance at running XBMC smoothly.

XMBC is running fine on mine with Raspbmc RC3, the only problem I have had has been my own broadband speed, so streaming internet media like iPlayer stutters a bit.

Should be. A sign that it isn't is when your USB suddenly stops working and/or ethernet lights go off, then come back on a short time after. In my experiences though, the USB devices never reconnected :( and therefore, hard reboot.

It's a 1000ma

Should be plenty, but see the above. Otherwise... SD card speed? I mean granted it is a 700mhz ARM processor, but aide from a few hardware things, we'll just have to wait for the software side of things to catch up.

I'll do a DD of my SD card later and put it up.

I don't know why people think the gooseberry is any better, it has NO HARDWARE ACCELLERATION AT ALL if you get linux on it. All it can do is the same as the RPi for decoding h.264 or whatever they've licensed, if you put X11 on it and try to run even fluxbox, it will be so slow it's unusable.

Well the Gooseberry is quite useful if you want to tinker with Android I suppose.

Smooth ICS tinkering for <100 bucks? Hell yeah!

Can you release uncompiled code, too?

That would be hot! :yes:

Where did you get Gentoo for Rasberry anyways?

Not been actively researching alternatives to the known candidates myself so far, so might have missed obvious sources! :laugh:

I never got QEMU going in OS X so used an Ubuntu VM with QEMU to play with.

Joy!!! :laugh:

QEMU Team, fix yer Mac code! :p

Is there any chance of getting flash to work on any of these things?

I know I am probably asking a bit much, butI'm not looking for video playback or anything.

Just basic flash apps that stream audio (as that is what the football club I support use to stream live commentary of their games).

This is not a hardware issue.

It's a social issue, infiltrate them and change their IT strategy! :p

Other than that: good luck, brave man! :laugh:

(Could wirk, wouldn't install that sucker Flash myself though! :D)

Official PSU has 1200mAh, which probably covers powering the USB a bit, so should be OKAY, but expect no flawlessness when hooking up stuff that draws a little power.

Official PSU: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-in-power-supply/7263053/

Further powering questions tackled here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Test post for the sake of: http://www.neowin.ne...issues-posting/

So sue ban me! :p

Noted. Should I ever make it to be a mod, thou shalt feel my wrath!

Glassed Silver:ios

Whilst that's better than what RPi provides, 'Note that these components are not a complete driver stack. To build a functional OpenGL ES or OpenVG driver you need access to the full source code of the Mali DDK, which is provided under the standard ARM commercial licence to all Mali GPU customers. For a complete integration of the Mali DDK with the X11 environment refer to the Integration Guide supplied with the Mali DDK.'

Someone uploaded the gentoo image to the raspberry pi forums a few months ago (contury to belief, gentoo was the first hard floating point release for the pi, not raspbian) so I took it and got a lot more compiled for it!

It's an 8GB image so I errr need hosting for a large file... Ideas? :p

And it doesn't come with source but it's got the full portage tree so if you want anything compiled you just do an emerge of it

Someone uploaded the gentoo image to the raspberry pi forums a few months ago (contury to belief, gentoo was the first hard floating point release for the pi, not raspbian) so I took it and got a lot more compiled for it!

It's an 8GB image so I errr need hosting for a large file... Ideas? tongue.png

And it doesn't come with source but it's got the full portage tree so if you want anything compiled you just do an emerge of it

I'd be immensively interested in the source code, but oh well...

We could create a torrent for it?

Also we could put it on a good old FTP. :)

Old school 8)

Glassed Silver:ios

Finally got around to placing my order ;) Now lets see how long it takes to actually get here

post-14624-0-06501200-1342463438_thumb.j

The cable they had listed for the power supply was only 0.5 meters - thats pretty freaking short. I found one that is 2 meters elsewhere, and the cases they had were crap -- there were some really nice looking ones posted earlier in the thread. So going to order one of them I think.

Should be here in time to start to play when the weather starts changing ;) heheeh

edit: The cool cases where in another thread, ended up with this one - just placed the order

http://www.adafruit....s/859#tutorials

The other one is from company in BE, which looks freaking sweet! But problem is at 13 euros for shipping, plus 21% vat plus its price your looking as spending more for the case than the actual Pi ;)

post-14624-0-02040600-1342472472.jpg

The other one is from company in BE, which looks freaking sweet! But problem is at 13 euros for shipping, plus 21% vat plus its price your looking as spending more for the case than the actual Pi ;)

I've not really been a fan of clear cases, but that looks sweet. The thickness of the acrylic makes the quality stand out.

• Like 1

Just about to have a play with this emulator and image, learn a few basics before it arrives for real :)

http://sourceforge.n...rpiqemuwindows/

nice, have been looking for a windows version. I was trying to set it up manually with no luck. There is also a Virtualbox/VMware Ubuntu disk images with an out of the box working QEMU setup http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=39289#p39289

nice, have been looking for a windows version. I was trying to set it up manually with no luck. There is also a Virtualbox/VMware Ubuntu disk images with an out of the box working QEMU setup http://www.raspberry...?p=39289#p39289

You can change the image in that link for any of the images on the RP site, quickest way I found was just to name the new image the same as the old one and copying it into the emu folder in place of the old image

Anyone know of any plans for BSD to arrive on Rasberry Pi?

That would be awesome and I wouldn't think twice before installing it as main OS.

Glassed Silver:mac

Gah!!!!!!!!!! The power supplies that I ordered aren't even close to being correct. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Does anyone have a part number for the correct power supply that works with the B revision?

Gah!!!!!!!!!! The power supplies that I ordered aren't even close to being correct. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Does anyone have a part number for the correct power supply that works with the B revision?

No idea sorry but I plugged mine into the routers usb port and it's been fine if that helps.

I just used my mobile phone charger and its been working fine for weeks, but then I don't own an iPhone with its crazy connector just a standard usb micro charger that all my phones usually use