105 posts in this topic

Slightly faster h.264 encode...

If I'm honest, I've been on the gentoo hard-float since I got it, and it's just darn slow. It might be an improvement over a soft-float, but don't have high expectations of it.

You can't expect much from a 25$ computer.

Well I mean, I kinda would expect it to be half decent, it's faster in terms of Mhz than an ipod touch but really doesn't seem it, EVERYTHING it does is much slower.

Alright for messing around on but they still well overplayed it's uses and expected performance, but hey kids are using it, making games on it, having fun so good luck to them!

They do appear to be great little media centers though >.<

I'm just looking for something to play streaming content off of a CIFS/Samba share. If it does that, I am happy :)

Well I mean, I kinda would expect it to be half decent, it's faster in terms of Mhz than an ipod touch but really doesn't seem it, EVERYTHING it does is much slower.

I am sure iPhone or decent Android phone would outperform Raspberry Pi by far. Only thing that RPI has is GPU with H.264 encoder, and this makes it useful for HTPC.

Right now even something like torrent client + USB harddrive + Samba share setup is flaky at best.

Bought a cheap DIY case to tide me through until I have the pennies for that posh one, 5 minutes to assemble and it looks pretty decent (This one)

GEDC1049.JPG

GEDC1050.JPG

GEDC1051.JPG

GEDC1054.JPG

GEDC1052.JPG

GEDC1053.JPG

GEDC1055.JPG

Got mine today, but apparently I'm having problems writting the OS to the SDCard (red light and very dim green one)...

Edit: Nevermind... one of the SD pins was bended O_O, put it on place and worked again

Got mine today, but apparently I'm having problems writting the OS to the SDCard (red light and very dim green one)...

Are you using Win32DiskImager from a Windows PC ?

If you still have problems, format the SDCard in Windows to FAT32 (might need to delete and re-create the partitions) and copy Berryboot files to it, just drag and drop, then put the SDCard into the Pi and try booting from it, it will let you install the OS from a menu

http://www.berryterm...u.php/berryboot

I use this free partition software to flatten the sdcards between installs

http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm

Edit: Nevermind... one of the SD pins was bended O_O, put it on place and worked again

Any luck ?

Any luck ?

Sorry for missing your reply, nonetheless I thank you for your answer :D, it was a bended pin on the SD card slot, got it fixed and finally began tinkering with it, I'm trying to do an RS232 project with the UART port for automation purposes, there exist any IDE for this kind of computer? do you recommend one particularly? Thanks in advance!

Sorry for missing your reply, nonetheless I thank you for your answer :D, it was a bended pin on the SD card slot, got it fixed and finally began tinkering with it, I'm trying to do an RS232 project with the UART port for automation purposes, there exist any IDE for this kind of computer? do you recommend one particularly? Thanks in advance!

Ah good news its working, I haven't personally played with that side of the Pi yet, but theres a thread about it on the Pi forums here, might help you out :)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8301

Ah good news its working, I haven't personally played with that side of the Pi yet, but theres a thread about it on the Pi forums here, might help you out :)

http://www.raspberry...php?f=44&t=8301

Anybody have tried the Netbeans IDE? I'm really need of an IDE...

dsc04451dl.jpg

If anyone is interested:

Gertboard is here!

If you

Figured whoever is watching this thread might be interested

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/freshers/raspberrypi/tutorials/os/

The University of Cambridge has released a free 12-step online course on building a basic operating system for the Raspberry Pi.

1 person likes this

Figured whoever is watching this thread might be interested

http://www.cl.cam.ac...i/tutorials/os/

The University of Cambridge has released a free 12-step online course on building a basic operating system for the Raspberry Pi.

I saw this the other day, looks pretty neat, haven't had a look at it yet

So new 2.0 version of board announced - mine is not due to be shipped until OCT, lets hope get the new board ;)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1929

Upcoming board revision

I paid for mine sometime ago and it is on back order with Maplin, so this month my Pi bundle will arrive.

I got the case already to protect it.

Fingers crossed.

So new 2.0 version of board announced - mine is not due to be shipped until OCT, lets hope get the new board ;)

http://www.raspberry...g/archives/1929

Upcoming board revision

Apart from maybe the HDMI leakage I don't think the changelog would make a lot of difference to me, I'm not using the GPIO pins and doubt I ever will

Good luck getting the new version ;)

I am very curious about the new i/o connector - it mentions clock and audio, wonder if this would allow for good say gps clock pps signal that would allow it to be used as a tiny time server??

Also hope the changes in the board don't - ie new i/o connector don't mess it up for fitting into the case I purchased ;) hehehe

I am very curious about the new i/o connector - it mentions clock and audio, wonder if this would allow for good say gps clock pps signal that would allow it to be used as a tiny time server??

Also hope the changes in the board don't - ie new i/o connector don't mess it up for fitting into the case I purchased ;) hehehe

hmm possibly yea, I just looked up my hardware info and I have a 2 code, meaning Model B Revision 1.0, I haven't popped any fuses yet, but only used keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter in USB

could a moderator fix the title, it is "raspberry" not "rasberry".

1 person likes this

Well got mine the other day, and found my first project for it, ntp stratum 1 server via gps.

Found this great writeup

http://open.konspyre.org/blog/2012/10/18/raspberry-pi-time-server/

Ordered the cobbler kit and this gps https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

Hoping it will be here by xmas ;) so I will have some time to get up and running before the new year. Already have my N40L serving up time to pool.ntp.org on ipv4 and ipv6 but not really happy with the 5-10 ms offset I am seeing. With stratum 2 status, I want to get it down into the

2 people like this

Got my Pi a few weeks ago, got a case off Ebay and it's lookin pretty slick. Been using it as a media server however I want to extend the media playback a little bit.

I have decided to forgo a DE/Window System in hopes of raw performance. I wrote a tcp client in C++ that listens for commands from a Server app running on my desktop. The server app has a file system watcher that watches for text files I create with a PHP script that runs on a webserver I have on my desktop.

I am working to get it (I am almost there) so that I can go to 127.0.0.1/ see a list of all the videos/shows/movies on my PC click it on any browser (Phone, Tablet, etc) and have it play on the Pi.

I am running into an issue with OMXPlayer where it hangs until my app closes (even after I have launched omxplayer). After I close my app though it fails to re-connect when opened.

So I have put it on a slight hold for now. Right now however, I am looking at direct Framebuffer writing code that I may be able to create a basic interface/window without the need for X.

As I am very weak in C++ it's a good learning opportunity.

"Improved analogue audio

Analogue audio quality has been improved."

o`rly?

Can anyone (preferably with a V1 board) comment on this? Is that annoying static 'BOMPH' still there when audio playback is started or stopped?

Got a V 2 (Model B). Pi tonight. Played with it for a couple of hours. Got me inspired. :)

So far, I am thinking about putting the following on it (as long as it works) all in the same boot:

Cups Server

Asterisk Server (To replace my leased one I have now)

Web Development Server w/Mysql and PHP (Lamp variant probably)

Mail Retrieval and Server (So I can pick up my mail from the Pi similar to an Exchange type of server)

For storage, will be offloading data onto external thumb drive. Eventually have the mail server drive an LED to indicate messages incase my PC is offline for any reason. Plan on buying a case eventually for this as well, but need to wait a bit before I do that.

All things I believe carry a super low CPU load so don't think that would be an issue. I spotted an Asterisk server for the Pi through their store tonight. Got my mind running.

-------------

I played with the XBMC port for the Pi and was impressed with that, except for an apparent known issue with Food Network and other videos not playing. What else has everyone else here been doing with yours?