The Raspberry Pi Thread

rasberry pi development hardware tinkering customization hacking automation

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#16 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:38

Not yet it doesn't, people are too focused on the RPi, not many people know about the Gooseberry, I found it by accident.

Give it time though, they have Ubuntu running on it. They sent out 2 of the initial run boards to Arch linux team who are porting it to Gooseberry.

It runs ICS smooth though, something the RPi will never be able to do because lack of ram.

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:46

Not yet it doesn't, people are too focused on the RPi, not many people know about the Gooseberry, I found it by accident.

Give it time though, they have Ubuntu running on it. They sent out 2 of the initial run boards to Arch linux team who are porting it to Gooseberry.

It runs ICS smooth though, something the RPi will never be able to do because lack of ram.

Yea it's specs and including of onboard storage and wifi are a nice selling point but I have an Android tab I can plug into HDMI so would prefer a Linux board, once they get Linux ported to it I`ll probably buy one though, the benchmarks video I watched between it and the Pi left the Pi in its dust for the most part

#18 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:57

I'll do a DD of my SD card later and put it up.

I don't know why people think the gooseberry is any better, it has NO HARDWARE ACCELLERATION AT ALL if you get linux on it. All it can do is the same as the RPi for decoding h.264 or whatever they've licensed, if you put X11 on it and try to run even fluxbox, it will be so slow it's unusable.

#19 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:40

Of course it has hardware acceleration or will have eventually, there are no readily available mali400 drivers yet though. It hasn't had as much press as the RPi has, and it hasn't been out as long.

#20 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:47

I know you can emulate the image on QEMU on Windows, but I don't particularly fancy booting into Windows...

QEMU is available to OS X, too, no?

Thing is, I'd adore to set up some stuff for it already or develop for it and then when it arrives, I'd clone the image to an SD card and BOOM I'd be running my juicy tasks!

Still looking for either a cheapskate-compatible LCD 10" (sub 40$) or the ASUS VGA-HDMI converter for less than 30 Euros... :p

Glassed Silver:mac

I never got QEMU going in OS X so used an Ubuntu VM with QEMU to play with.

#21 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:51

Well so far I managed to get a Wake on Lan forwarder running :)

Then installed the Wheezy beta last week and compiled gphoto2 for remote controlling a Canon 7D which kind of worked ok.

Not got wifi going just yet with Wheezy but had it working fine before.

My goal is a remote camera adapter, all the pieces are there just need to tart up and optimise.

Have to say the new Wheezy build is a lot better, there also seems to be a lot of work done on the firmware side, just ordered some stuff for connecting to a breakout board but not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

#22 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 16 July 2012 - 13:56

Gooseberry has GPIOs like raspberry? or UART?

#23 Largoh

Largoh

Epic of all Epics

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:46

Just bought a Gooseberry to replace my RPi.
My RPi is ok but very buggy at times and needs constant reboots. I know this is due to the OpenElec build I'm using (I'm using mine as an extender to my XBMC machine downstairs), but I think it will always be lacking.
My only concern about the Gooseberry is that I can't get a LAN connection to it, but since XBMC announced their fully functional Android version I decided to go for it anyway.

#24 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:50

No there will not be hardware accelleration because there are no DRI or X11 drivers/modules for it.
And unless the full spec of the GPU is available to very experianced kernel coders (and chances are it isn't, RPis isn't, you need to be under NDA), it will never happen.

#25 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:55

I'm getting my PIs this week. After reading this thread, I'm not as excited as i was a few months ago.
:/

#26 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 14:58

No there will not be hardware accelleration because there are no DRI or X11 drivers/modules for it.
And unless the full spec of the GPU is available to very experianced kernel coders (and chances are it isn't, RPis isn't, you need to be under NDA), it will never happen.

http://www.malidevel...lay-drivers.php
Whats this then?

http://www.malidevel...ice-drivers.php
Also this?

#27 T1Famous

T1Famous

Neowinian

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:00

Just got my order Confirmation for my Raspberry Pi B :)

#28 WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:05

Is there any chance of getting flash to work on any of these things?
I know I am probably asking a bit much, butI'm not looking for video playback or anything.
Just basic flash apps that stream audio (as that is what the football club I support use to stream live commentary of their games).

#29 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:14

They can't iron out performance bugs, it doesn't have the CPU power.

Apple TV 3 which has 1Ghz Apple A5 chip struggles with XBMC, Boxee Box runs a 1.2Ghz Atom. RPi has 700Mhz CPU and has no chance at running XBMC smoothly.

This is not correct...
NONE of the current OS releases for the RasPi take advantage of the GPU and many other components. Raspian is the first to use the hard float part of the CPU. Additionally there is a USB issue which causes it to use 20% of the CPU even with nothing plugged in (and ethernet goes over USB).
There is MUCH to be done on the PI to make use of the hardware and free up the CPU.

#30 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 15:27

My RPi is ok but very buggy at times and needs constant reboots. I know this is due to the OpenElec build I'm using (I'm using mine as an extender to my XBMC machine downstairs), but I think it will always be lacking.

What mA (mAh) power supply are you using? I was having problems with my Pi at first and then realized I had swapped the 700ma I had intended to use with it with a 550. You need a 700-1200ma for the "B" Pi.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!