rasberry pi development hardware tinkering customization hacking automation

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:37

I paid for mine sometime ago and it is on back order with Maplin, so this month my Pi bundle will arrive.

I got the case already to protect it.

Fingers crossed.

#92 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:41

So new 2.0 version of board announced - mine is not due to be shipped until OCT, lets hope get the new board ;)

http://www.raspberry...g/archives/1929
Upcoming board revision

Apart from maybe the HDMI leakage I don't think the changelog would make a lot of difference to me, I'm not using the GPIO pins and doubt I ever will

Good luck getting the new version ;)

#93 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 15:49

I am very curious about the new i/o connector - it mentions clock and audio, wonder if this would allow for good say gps clock pps signal that would allow it to be used as a tiny time server??

Also hope the changes in the board don't - ie new i/o connector don't mess it up for fitting into the case I purchased ;) hehehe

#94 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 06 September 2012 - 16:01

I am very curious about the new i/o connector - it mentions clock and audio, wonder if this would allow for good say gps clock pps signal that would allow it to be used as a tiny time server??

Also hope the changes in the board don't - ie new i/o connector don't mess it up for fitting into the case I purchased ;) hehehe

hmm possibly yea, I just looked up my hardware info and I have a 2 code, meaning Model B Revision 1.0, I haven't popped any fuses yet, but only used keyboard, mouse and wifi adapter in USB

#95 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 September 2012 - 16:08

could a moderator fix the title, it is "raspberry" not "rasberry".

#96 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 20 September 2012 - 16:20

Introducing turbo mode: up to 50% more performance for free

Since launch, we’ve supported overclocking and overvolting your Raspberry Pi by editing config.txt. Overvolting provided more overclocking headroom, but voided your warranty because we were concerned it would decrease the lifetime of the SoC; we set a sticky bit inside BCM2835 to allow us to spot boards which have been overvolted.

We’ve been doing a lot of work to understand the impact of voltage and temperature on lifetime, and are now able to offer a “turbo mode”, which dynamically enables overclock and overvolt under the control of a cpufreq driver, without affecting your warranty.

We are happy that the combination of only applying turbo when busy, and limiting turbo when the BCM2835′s internal temperature reaches 85°C, means there will be no measurable reduction in the lifetime of your Raspberry Pi.
You can now choose from one of five overclock presets in raspi-config, the highest of which runs the ARM at 1GHz.

The level of stable overclock you can achieve will depend on your specific Pi and on the quality of your power supply; we suggest that Quake 3 is a good stress test for checking if a particular level is completely stable. If you choose too high an overclock, your Pi may fail to boot, in which case holding down the shift key during boot up will disable the overclock for that boot, allowing you to select a lower level.

What does this mean? Comparing the new image with 1GHz turbo enabled, against the previous image at 700MHz, nbench reports 52% faster on integer, 64% faster on floating point and 55% faster on memory.

Previous image (2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian):
BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark ver. 2 (10/95)
Index-split by Andrew D. Balsa (11/97)
Linux/Unix* port by Uwe F. Mayer (12/96,11/97)

TEST : Iterations/sec. : Old Index : New Index
: : Pentium 90* : AMD K6/233*
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT : 222.08 : 5.70 : 1.87
STRING SORT : 31.659 : 14.15 : 2.19
BITFIELD : 7.1294e+07 : 12.23 : 2.55
FP EMULATION : 44.808 : 21.50 : 4.96
FOURIER : 2188.1 : 2.49 : 1.40
ASSIGNMENT : 2.6545 : 10.10 : 2.62
IDEA : 671.41 : 10.27 : 3.05
HUFFMAN : 414.2 : 11.49 : 3.67
NEURAL NET : 2.9586 : 4.75 : 2.00
LU DECOMPOSITION : 77.374 : 4.01 : 2.89
=====================ORIGINAL BYTEMARK RESULTS=====================
INTEGER INDEX : 11.414
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.619
Baseline (MSDOS*) : Pentium* 90, 256 KB L2-cache, ...
=========================LINUX DATA BELOW==========================
CPU :
L2 Cache :
C compiler : arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
libc : static
MEMORY INDEX : 2.447
INTEGER INDEX : 3.192
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 2.007
Baseline (LINUX) : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, ..
* Trademarks are property of their respective holder.
New image, with 1GHz turbo enabled:
BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark ver. 2 (10/95)
Index-split by Andrew D. Balsa (11/97)
Linux/Unix* port by Uwe F. Mayer (12/96,11/97)

TEST : Iterations/sec. : Old Index : New Index
: : Pentium 90* : AMD K6/233*
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT : 340.8 : 8.74 : 2.87
STRING SORT : 47.52 : 21.23 : 3.29
BITFIELD : 1.05e+08 : 18.01 : 3.76
FP EMULATION : 66.32 : 31.82 : 7.34
FOURIER : 3431 : 3.90 : 2.19
ASSIGNMENT : 4.5311 : 17.24 : 4.47
IDEA : 991.67 : 15.17 : 4.50
HUFFMAN : 615.08 : 17.06 : 5.45
NEURAL NET : 4.76 : 7.65 : 3.22
LU DECOMPOSITION : 135.12 : 7.00 : 5.05
=====================ORIGINAL BYTEMARK RESULTS=====================
INTEGER INDEX : 17.356
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 5.933
Baseline (MSDOS*) : Pentium* 90, 256 KB L2-cache, ...
=========================LINUX DATA BELOW==========================
CPU :
L2 Cache :
C compiler : arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
libc : static
MEMORY INDEX : 3.810
INTEGER INDEX : 4.768
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.291
Baseline (LINUX) : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, ..
* Trademarks are property of their respective holder.

Other changes to the latest firmware include:

Temperature and frequency widgets
You can enable a core temperature widget for the lxde taskbar to see how close to 85°C you get (in the UK, it’s not very), and a cpufreq widget that will show the current ARM frequency when you hover over it. See here for more details.

USB interrupt rate reduction
We have enabled Gordon’s “FIQ Fix” in the USB driver, which reduces the USB interrupt rate, improving general performance by about 10%.

WiFi is now supported out of the box
If your WiFi driver is supported by the default linux tree, or is based on the popular RTL8188CUS chipset, then WiFi should work out of the box. Boot the image with the WiFi dongle plugged in (a powered hub is recommended). Run startx and select “WiFi Config”. You can scan for wireless networks and enter your wireless password and connect from the GUI. No need to install additional packages or scripts.

Improved analogue audio
Analogue audio quality has been improved.

Extra software installed by default
SmartSim and PenguinsPuzzle are pre-installed.

#97 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 74
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:20

Well got mine the other day, and found my first project for it, ntp stratum 1 server via gps.

Found this great writeup

http://open.konspyre...pi-time-server/

Ordered the cobbler kit and this gps https://www.adafruit.com/products/746

Hoping it will be here by xmas ;) so I will have some time to get up and running before the new year. Already have my N40L serving up time to pool.ntp.org on ipv4 and ipv6 but not really happy with the 5-10 ms offset I am seeing. With stratum 2 status, I want to get it down into the µs range.

I also found this other guide about gps ntp on your pi, http://www.satsignal...rry-Pi-NTP.html with lots of great info and monitoring tips, etc. So it should be a fun first project.

Playing movies off the thing is fine, but those types of projects just don't satisfy my inner geek impulses like a stratum 1 ntp server ;)

#98 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 13 December 2012 - 21:58

Got my Pi a few weeks ago, got a case off Ebay and it's lookin pretty slick. Been using it as a media server however I want to extend the media playback a little bit.

I have decided to forgo a DE/Window System in hopes of raw performance. I wrote a tcp client in C++ that listens for commands from a Server app running on my desktop. The server app has a file system watcher that watches for text files I create with a PHP script that runs on a webserver I have on my desktop.

I am working to get it (I am almost there) so that I can go to 127.0.0.1/ see a list of all the videos/shows/movies on my PC click it on any browser (Phone, Tablet, etc) and have it play on the Pi.

I am running into an issue with OMXPlayer where it hangs until my app closes (even after I have launched omxplayer). After I close my app though it fails to re-connect when opened.

So I have put it on a slight hold for now. Right now however, I am looking at direct Framebuffer writing code that I may be able to create a basic interface/window without the need for X.

As I am very weak in C++ it's a good learning opportunity.

#99 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 13 December 2012 - 22:05

"Improved analogue audio
Analogue audio quality has been improved."
o`rly?

Can anyone (preferably with a V1 board) comment on this? Is that annoying static 'BOMPH' still there when audio playback is started or stopped?

#100 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:36

Got a V 2 (Model B). Pi tonight. Played with it for a couple of hours. Got me inspired. :)

So far, I am thinking about putting the following on it (as long as it works) all in the same boot:

Cups Server
Asterisk Server (To replace my leased one I have now)
Web Development Server w/Mysql and PHP (Lamp variant probably)
Mail Retrieval and Server (So I can pick up my mail from the Pi similar to an Exchange type of server)

For storage, will be offloading data onto external thumb drive. Eventually have the mail server drive an LED to indicate messages incase my PC is offline for any reason. Plan on buying a case eventually for this as well, but need to wait a bit before I do that.

All things I believe carry a super low CPU load so don't think that would be an issue. I spotted an Asterisk server for the Pi through their store tonight. Got my mind running.

-------------

I played with the XBMC port for the Pi and was impressed with that, except for an apparent known issue with Food Network and other videos not playing. What else has everyone else here been doing with yours?

#101 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:53

Well CRAP! Was installing the OS for my main set up tonight, smelled burning components. NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Power light burned up on the board. Now I get to set up an RMA for exchange tomorrow.

Anyone know if there are still issues with obtaining a Pi given their history of slow orders? From what I understand - this one took a heck of a long time to get in November. Was purchased through Element 14 so hopefully that makes a difference.

#102 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:40

What type of power supply are you using? It's always possible that you got a bad board, but it's strange to get that kind of failure so quickly.

#103 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:44

I was running off of the usb port on my laptop which worked perfectly last night. The laptop was also powered by the mains so not off of battery. Not that it bugs me really having the bright red light off, but it does in a way knowing that it just isn't working now.

#104 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 January 2013 - 18:37

UPDATE: After waiting well over a week for Element 14 to get back to me on the unit, am now getting the RMA set up. They have to now have yet another department email the RMA info to me.

One thing I learned about them though, is with them, if you do an RMA - it isn't a standard RMA like most companies AFAIK work it. RMA is issued (Normal), once they get your return, they refund your credit card for purchase, no exchange unless you ask for one. But irregardless - you exchange the Pi, they still refund your card and then charge it again for price of new one.

Normally, this isn't such an issue, however when it comes to a gift being given to someone - (in my case), then you have to go through the hassle of contacting gift giver, to let them know you are RMA'ing the device (Signals bad product purchase to them and possible hurt feelings), then let them know that their card will be refunded. Can be a tad uncomfortable.

Anyway, advice for those who use a Pi - was told that to never run off of computer USB by them (Element 14) and sort of by Raspberry Pi's site as well:

http://www.raspberry...=242583#p242583

#105 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 02 January 2013 - 19:06

CAS Raspberry Pi Educational Manual

http://www.raspberry...g/archives/2965

Download
http://downloads.ras...tion_Manual.pdf

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!