• Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 13 July 2012 - 18:18

Great piece of writing sir!

#32 +d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 July 2012 - 18:50

Yes! Do you by any chance have a monitor with 10-bit colour (typically S-IPS panels)?

I find the colour banding to be incredibly irritating and it's especially bad when launching Metro apps, as I get a sort of banding-flickering during the animation. At first I thought it was a fault with my monitor but creating the same gradient in a drawing application displays fine. My guess is that Microsoft is using 8-bit gradients, so it wouldn't be an issue on regular displays but would be noticeable on 10-bit displays.

I don't know really. I have 22" Samsung LED Monitor capable of 1080p.

#33 OP Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 July 2012 - 19:43

The ability to "pin" programs on the start menu existed on Windows 95. You could right-click a program on the all programs menu and add it (pin) it to the start menu.

Crap, I think you're right. However, app pinning wasn't really something anyone did until the new Start Menu was released with XP. Monitors back then never really had grand resolutions to allow it like is available today.

#34 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 July 2012 - 20:17

Great Read. Although I do think your "Windows 8 Logo" avatar make you look a tad bias on your opinion of Windows 8..

#35 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 14 July 2012 - 00:07

Posted Image

#36 KevinN206

KevinN206

Neowinian

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:34

Exactly

Posted Image

I'm still not installing Windows 8. I love the desktop enhancements, but I can't deal with the intrusive Start Screen. (And I'm still trying to understand what Metro apps bring to the table that a simple HTML5 website can't give me) I have no need for a fullscreen Weather App, no need for a limited Mail client, no need for a fullscreen Stocks app, etc.

I'm nos buying/drinking this kool-aid

And yet all the one that I know (not very computer literate) have a hell hole of a "all programs" menu. Why? Because they install all sorts of crap in it but never organize. Why? Because the old start menu isn't very intuitive at all on how to organize the start, how to create a new folder, and how to move a new folder. The new metro screen solves this problem for the average person. And of course, you don't have to deal with the UAC prompt if the item happens to be in the "All Users" folder.

#37 Tangmeister

Tangmeister

Executor

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:58

Has anyone seen banding on individual non metro app tiles? Microsoft cannot even do something right.

Posted Image

Well, have you noticed that Microsoft Office 2010 came long before Windows 8's guidelines?

#38 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:19

Well, have you noticed that Microsoft Office 2010 came long before Windows 8's guidelines?

That doesn't really matter, though. The tiles are standard tiles for desktop apps, with the logo and name of the program on the tile. The background of the tile looks like an 8-bit color gradient.

None of this matters, though, because Microsoft re-did desktop app tiles in post-RP builds. Take a look at the MS Surface demo and you will see that this probably no longer applies.

Desktop app tiles now have the logo centered and large, with the name of the program in smaller letters across the bottom. This makes desktop app tiles look more like the metro app tiles, so they don't stick out as much. It looks much nicer.

#39 TsarNikky

TsarNikky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:28

Making one User Interface for two entirely separate marketplaces--business and consumer was a bad decision. Made worse, when no choice was given during installation--Metro UI vs Desktop. Now, the choice is Metro UI or stick with Windows-7.

#40 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:38

Why is there so much insistence on giving extra front page notability to these heavily biased opinion pieces. It seems Neowin is aiming at pushing people towards a "swallow Microsoft's changes because it's Microsoft" dictum more and more.

#41 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:05

Why is there so much insistence on giving extra front page notability to these heavily biased opinion pieces. It seems Neowin is aiming at pushing people towards a "swallow Microsoft's changes because it's Microsoft" dictum more and more.

I don't think so. They love posting articles about Stardock hating on Windows 8. There is also the recent "The great Windows 8 Debate with Robert Scoble".

It seems more like they post a couple anti-Windows 8 articles, then a few pro-Windows 8 articles. The individual articles aren't unbiased, but overall it balances out.

#42 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:27

Why not?
Everybody knows that the writer of the post likes Win8. He starts out by saying this is his view and opinion on the problem with the Start menu and how he finds the Start screen better. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's a well written post and he clearly explains all his opinions.
The people at Neowin must have thought the same and put it on the front page.
Nice one Dot Matrix

#43 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:30

see, this is what I don't understand from people like you.

if the start screen is the only thing you don't like why not just install one of the start menu replacers and be done with it? many of them (ok, just 2 right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if that number rises) are starting to allow logging in straight to the desktop bypassing the start screen all together, so I don't see what the problem is, especially if you like all the other improvements.

Since I'm no win8 geek, what does metro offer me really? new look? I have no desire to learn a new interface all over anyway.

I'll wait for what lies after win8, unless of course there's such backlash that, someone edits win8's desktop to have a start menu again somehow. seems like if it isn't broken, don't fix it as my DI in basic training taught me. how many elderly people or un-geekified people will be lost to this massive change?

#44 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:43

Since I'm no win8 geek, what does metro offer me really? new look? I have no desire to learn a new interface all over anyway.

I'll wait for what lies after win8, unless of course there's such backlash that, someone edits win8's desktop to have a start menu again somehow. seems like if it isn't broken, don't fix it as my DI in basic training taught me. how many elderly people or un-geekified people will be lost to this massive change?

that's what i'm saying though, there are ALREADY plenty of programs that give you the start menu back, a few of which allow you to bypass the start screen entirely

also, the RTM version will include a tutorial of some sort, this has been confirmed

#45 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:45

that's what i'm saying though, there are ALREADY plenty of programs that give you the start menu back, a few of which allow you to bypass the start screen entirely

also, the RTM version will include a tutorial of some sort, this has been confirmed

can i ask as a lamer, why they even designed the metro screen? seems confusing to me and cluttered as I'm a neat freak. anyway. if i can get my start menu. then all good