Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

But you have to provide your own shell files from Windows 7 to run this software. And then, to if you want to re-enable the Metro theme, you also have to find the right shell files for Windows 8.

You do realize that?

And so most people including me would mess up Windows. Because we don't know where the right shell files for Windows 7 or Windows 8 are. And we would put the wrong files in the patcher.

So if the OP wants to provide a software,he must include the correct files to enable and disable the Metro theme. We should not have to look for them ourselves.Andrea Borman.

But you have to provide your own shell files from Windows 7 to run this software. And then to if you want to re-enable the Metro theme you also have to find the right shell files for Windows 8.

You do realise that?

And so most people including me would mess up Windows. Because we don't know where the right shell files for Windows 7 or Windows 8 are. And we would put the wrong files in the patcher.

So if the OP wants to provide a software,he must include the correct files to enable and disable the Metro theme. We should not have to look for them ourselves.Andrea Borman.

Oh, no... I didn't realise that... what should I do now Andrea Borman ?

Of course I realised that, if I had not realised that, how could I have used the patch ?

And there you go not reading things again

--

To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry.

--

You do not need any extra files to restore 8 to normal.

And no the OP must not do anything at all, he provided something out of good will, he has no contract with you or anyone else to provide anything.

Read things 10 times, try them, then come back and continue your argument.

Oh, no... I didn't realise that... what should I do now Andrea Borman ?

Of course I realised that, if I had not realised that, how could I have used the patch ?

And there you go not reading things again

--

To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry.

--

You do not need any extra files to restore 8 to normal.

And no the OP must not do anything at all, he provided something out of good will, he has no contract with you or anyone else to provide anything.

Read things 10 times, try them, then come back and continue your argument.

Well I did not see any setting called 8 in the software. Only a command prompt and a shell or batch file I could not read. Andrea Borman.

Well I did not see any setting called 8 in the software. Only a command prompt and a shell or batch file I could not read. Andrea Borman.

Well you already said that you did not copy the correct files into the patch folder so how could you have seen it.

Like I say, go read everything again many times, then go try it, then come back.

Well you already said that you did not copy the correct files into the patch folder so how could you have seen it.

Like I say, go read everything again many times, then go try it, then come back.

Or better still let the OP make a new version of the software with all of the files and settings included. So we don't have to do anything but install and run it. like with other software programs. And then we will take him seriously. Andrea Borman.

Or better still let the OP make a new version of the software with all of the files and settings included. So we don't have to do anything but install and run it. like with other software programs. And then we will take him seriously. Andrea Borman.

:laugh: 'We' are taking him seriously, it's only YOU who wants the files included, for the rest of us it is pretty straight forward.

I think you are underestimating the level of skill most people here have, do not tarnish us all with your own skill brush

----

2.png

• Like 3

Including files OWNED by Microsoft could violate many rules and the software could be pulled off any sites by MS, you do realize that, right ?

Instructions are included, obtaining an ISO of Win7 is pretty easy, I would call that EOT and EOD.

Thanks developer for this great piece of work.

Hopefully we'll see this gets updated once RTM comes out.

Including files OWNED by Microsoft could violate many rules and the software could be pulled off any sites by MS, you do realize that, right ?

Instructions are included, obtaining an ISO of Win7 is pretty easy, I would call that EOT and EOD.

Thanks developer for this great piece of work.

Hopefully we'll see this gets updated once RTM comes out.

But I thought you could just get the windows shell files by going into the Windows System folder on Windows 7. And that you did not need the Windows 7 CD or ISO.

But what about all of the other software on the web?

Start Menu 7 and other start button changers and Take Ownership that lets you delete files.And Ribbon Disabler. That is all still on the web and nobody has taken it down. So why should they care about this mans software if he provides an updated version with all of the files included?What is so different about this software that Microsoft would want to take it down? Andrea Borman.

But I thought you could just get the windows shell files by going into the Windows System folder on Windows 7. And that you did not need the Windows 7 CD or ISO.

But what about all of the other software on the web?

Start Menu 7 and other start button changers and Take Ownership that lets you delete files.And Ribbon Disabler. That is all still on the web and nobody has taken it down. So why should they care about this mans software if he provides an updated version with all of the files included?What is so different about this software that Microsoft would want to take it down? Andrea Borman.

It seems you don't know a bit about EULA that you've agreed on when you've installed Microsoft software.

Ribbon Disabler and Start8 don't include MS proprietary pieces of software.

Let's end this offtopic / fruitless discussion.

Don't like it = don't use it.

Don't bitch and give this man some respect or don't say a word - as Detection said =

no one is forcing you to use this piece of software, and it seems that lack of knowledge (or understanding what proprietary code means) also doesn't explain it.

It seems you don't know a bit about EULA that you've agreed on when you've installed Microsoft software.

Ribbon Disabler and Start8 don't include MS proprietary pieces of software.

Let's end this offtopic / fruitless discussion.

Don't like it = don't use it.

Don't bitch and give this man some respect or don't say a word - as Detection said =

no one is forcing you to use this piece of software, and it seems that lack of knowledge (or understanding what proprietary code means) also doesn't explain it.

Well we can't use this software anyway. Because you have to find the shell files and I can't find them anywhere on my Windows 7. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. So how can we use it so to speak? The answer is we can't. Andrea Borman.

serously wish people would stop trying to change windows 8 into windows 7

I kind of wish Microsoft would quit trying to turn Windows 8 into Windows for Tablets.

to AndreaBorman...

uhh... you do not seem to be very familiar with software development,

most of your comments cause me "augh.. my brain hearts" fiilings...

Patching explorer.exe and relevant mui files to work with W8 is

nice accomplishment, cheers to devs! :-) how about hooks back

to w8 explorer for file copy operations (which are improved in w8?)

dev'd ever since x86 asm was done with debug and link

-J

Well we can't use this software anyway. Because you have to find the shell files and I can't find them anywhere on my Windows 7. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. So how can we use it so to speak? The answer is we can't. Andrea Borman.

If you don't read the instructions which clearly tell you EXACTLY where the files are, then it might be difficult

<snipped>

But considering everything is there that even a toddler could read, its really not like finding a needle in a haystack

well.. that purely depends on finders abilities :-D

But that's just it. This software does not disable Metro just like that. You have to provide your own files. Why should we have to do that?What about users who don't have Windows 7?What do they do?

Surly if an app claims to disable the Metro theme or do something else,it should just do it. The files should be included in the software. Just like it is in Ribbon Disabler and start button changers.

So it seems this software was made by an amateur. If not then why doesn't the software maker provide the shell files for us in the software? Andrea Borman.

Sorry, you are wrong the software does exactly what it promises. I have already explained to you the reasons for the creator not being able to package the Windows 7 shell files with the download. The work needed to get this to work is in no way hard, and you get a significant reward for doing so.

Well I don't want the Metro theme. And I think that Microsoft should have left the option to disable the Metro theme. That they had in Windows 8 DP in Windows 8 CP and Windows 8 RP. But they did not do that. So if we want the Windows 7 Start menu we have to use a software like Classic Shell.

But Microsoft should just bring back the option to disable the Metro theme,like they had in Windows 8 DP. That is what most people including me want. Andrea Borman.

Well I don't want the Metro theme. And I think that Microsoft should have left the option to disable the Metro theme. That they had in Windows 8 DP in Windows 8 CP and Windows 8 RP. But they did not do that. So if we want the Windows 7 Start menu we have to use a software like Classic Shell.

But Microsoft should just bring back the option to disable the Metro theme,like they had in Windows 8 DP. That is what most people including me want. Andrea Borman.

You go write to MS and tell them that you want the option to disable Metro. If like you say, software devs MUST include options and files that YOU want them to, then there is no reason MS should be any different right ?

You go write to MS and tell them that you want the option to disable Metro. If like you say, software devs MUST include options and files that YOU want them to, then there is no reason MS should be any different right ?

Well I would prefer to use Windows 8 without the Metro theme. And most people are not happy with the Metro them. And some don't even know that they can get the start button and start menu back by installing start menu software. So yes,I think the Metro theme is a waste of time. And they should make Windows 8 with the Windows 7 desktop and start menu. As that is what I and other Windows users are used to. Andrea Borman.

Microsoft did not give you the option at all to turn off the Metro interface or any of its UI elements at all in the Developer preview because The Registry is not a normal Menu option in control panel or anywhere unless ya open it manually and i doubt you will see your grandma do such a thing .

Also Metro is not a Theme it is a UI Shell it is part of windows at the core and why are you still running crappy Netbooks runa real notbook or desktop system because as you was told a billion times in the last 8 months your netbook will nnot run some of windows 8 feature Metro stuff because of the small resolution

The reason why the developer hasn't included these files with the program is due to copyright reasons, as others have already stated. Since you already have a copy of Windows 7 on one of your computers, copying the files over shouldn't be a problem. But if you can't find two Windows 7 system files and copy them, even when the file paths are given to you, then I don't think you should be trying to alter any system files or functions.

Also, if you haven't noticed, most of the people on this forum are computer-literate. They'd probably be able to find two system files, regardless if the file path has been provided.

The non tech-savvy population of computer users probably wouldn't even know there are ways to disable the Metro start screen. They'd just get used to what's in front of them.

Three final things:

Firstly, stop using netbooks. They're very underpowered hardware. The price you'd paid for the several netbooks you own (my guess is four, since you state you have 2 XP netbooks and several running Windows 7) could have gotten you a much better laptop, or better yet-a desktop.

Secondly: Since you are criticizing the developer's work as "amateur programming", then be my guest-download a copy of Code::Blocks and compile a similar application.

Thirdly: Please, for the love of God, stop writing your name at the end of each of your posts. Users can already see your name once above your avatar as your username, and once in the signature of your post. There's no need to include it in the actual post as well. At the minimum, at least put it on its' own paragraph.

/rant

• Like 2

<snipped>

Well I would prefer to use Windows 8 without the Metro theme. And most people are not happy with the Metro them. And some don't even know that they can get the start button and start menu back by installing start menu software. So yes,I think the Metro theme is a waste of time. And they should make Windows 8 with the Windows 7 desktop and start menu. As that is what I and other Windows users are used to. Andrea Borman.

Absolutely agree, but they aren't going to do so, it should be clear by now that they have no interest in listening to their users. 3rd party options are going to be the only way of disabling it, sorry.

<snipped>

Also microsoft does listen to its users Many windows 8 features are here because of us users the only thing Microsoft dont want to hear is anything about the start menu because they made the choice long time ago to ditch it and come up with the start screen that does everything the start menu does but better . so They do listen also they read the forums they read the windows 8 blogs and emails you send them but the metro start screen is something that is staying