Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

I've refrained from making these posts in the past that directly relate to Mrs. Borman, but for the love of everything, holy and righteous in this world, PLEASE get rid of that desktop, if you want to emulate Windows XP on Windows 7, I can help you with that! Here, look!

gxFBd.jpg

I'll give you the link to the theme, and would fit a LOT better with your customizations than using a butchered Windows Classic theme with a butchered XP start button.. D:

http://welovexp.devi...basic-207270167

Now to remain on topic, thanks for posting this tool, although I'm going to steer clear of it despite all the effort put into it, it's still a hack-job, and according to that MSDN thread has some bugs in it still. Besides, I'm really beginning to like that metro start screen..

I've refrained from making these posts in the past that directly relate to Mrs. Borman, but for the love of everything, holy and righteous in this world, PLEASE get rid of that desktop, if you want to emulate Windows XP on Windows 7, I can help you with that! Here, look!

I'll give you the link to the theme, and would fit a LOT better with your customizations than using a butchered Windows Classic theme with a butchered XP start button.. D:

http://welovexp.devi...basic-207270167

Now to remain on topic, thanks for posting this tool, although I'm going to steer clear of it despite all the effort put into it, it's still a hack-job, and according to that MSDN thread has some bugs in it still. Besides, I'm really beginning to like that metro start screen..

That does not look anything like the real Windows XP. The Classic Shell start menu does. Andrea Borman.

That does not look anything like the real Windows XP. The Classic Shell start menu does. Andrea Borman.

Right, but you can add classic shell to that, I don't use that theme, so I had no reason to use classic shell to emulate the Windows XP start menu.

Have you installed the best version of windows yet Andrea Borman ?

Microsoft combined 3 of its best operating systems, Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT, they named it Windows CEMENT, you should try it

Have you installed the best version of windows yet Andrea Borman ?

Microsoft combined 3 of its best operating systems, Windows CE, Windows ME and Windows NT, they named it Windows CEMENT, you should try it

There is no such thing as Windows CEMENT. There is no such Windows. Andrea Borman.

Tihiy, the program is great and seems a much better replacement for metro than other alternatives. The only major thing missing is large icons in the start menu, with that it would be a perfect port.

Its a shame this thread has become so derailed, maybe you could make another thread with your next update.

Um. I know what Windows XP looks like. I used to use it since before it was called XP. Remember Windows 'Whistler', the beta version of XP?

This is the real Windows XP from my Windows XP netbook. Andrea Borman.

post-417173-0-39093100-1343154448_thumb.

You were trying to get your Windows "Whatever the hell that was" to look like XP, we're saying it can look more like XP than what you have it. Not trying to 1:1 re-create XP, that's near impossible, heck I had to make that start button in my screenshot and it still doesn't look perfect.

Well here is my Windows folder on Windows 7. First the EN file and then the second images is of the files(batch files I presume inside the EN folder.) And the third image is of the Windows Explorer icon which is just a shortcut to Windows Explorer. It does not give you the shell files.

I am using print Screen and Paint,so it would not capture the whole of my Windows folder. That's why I have got 3 images.

So what do we do now with those folders? And which folders are you supposed to copy into the patch?

I still say he should provide the files for us like they do with every other software. Andrea Borman.

<image snip>

Firstly, that is not a shortcut, it's explorer. And secondly, please just READ THE INSTRUCTIONS what you need to copy is already detailed. I have already explained to you that the maker cannot supply the files because they are copyrighted and cannot be redistributed without permission. Please try a bit harder to actually listen to people.

I really like this start button replacement though, using it in XP and I can finally trash that buggy start button replacer, and I think I'll keep the start menu too. Working on trying to get the classic start button from Windows 9x so I can use Windows classic with the start menu. :D

Question though, does anyone know where that classic start button skin is located? I'm searching wildly through my install and cannot find it, and would hope to replace that shell with the classic windows logo.

Why can't you just use Windows 7? Stop making it overly complicated. I see no problem with having an orb instead of a rounded rectangle that says "Start" and blurred "AERO" glass. I am up to -HERE- with XP fanboys/fangirls. Please, for your own good, stop using a 12 year old OS.

Why can't you just use Windows 7? Stop making it overly complicated. I see no problem with having an orb instead of a rounded rectangle that says "Start" and blurred "AERO" glass. I am up to -HERE- with XP fanboys/fangirls. Please, for your own good, stop using a 12 year old OS.

Awesome for you, and you do realize that everyone doesn't have to do exactly what you tell them to do, right?

Awesome for you, and you do realize that everyone doesn't have to do exactly what you tell them to do, right?

Yes I do realize that, however, it is old buggy technology, with multiple security flaws and does not support more than 3 gigs of ram without you running a third party hack. The UI is also a pixelated, blurry, un anti-aliased mess. The gpu is sitting there idol--use it instead of your cpu rendering graphics.

Yes I do realize that, however, it is old buggy technology, with multiple security flaws and does not support more than 3 gigs of ram without you running a third party hack. The UI is also a pixelated, blurry, un anti-aliased mess. The gpu is sitting there idol--use it instead of your cpu rendering graphics.

That's good for you, and you know what? I'm using Windows 7, so don't come at me like I'm using an ancient build of Windows. You use whatever the hell you want on your machines, and quit trying to dictate what other people use on theirs.

That's good for you, and you know what? I'm using Windows 7, so don't come at me like I'm using an ancient build of Windows. You use whatever the hell you want on your machines, and quit trying to dictate what other people use on theirs.

OK. First off I wasn't talking about YOU in particular. Second off, F*** yeah I'll use whatever I want. Lastly, I'm not dictating anyone, for the second time. Yes, I agree everyone should have their views and opinions. Are we done?

Took my noggin a few attempts to get it working (on x64), and it's not perfect, but I must say, this is really very cool, fantastic work!

Now bring on RTM and fingers-x'd it'll continue to work! :jump:

*F*ck!

Wow! I'm amazed, this is sleek man!

Thanks a lot! I hope you get yourself working on how to bring back start menu jump lists! And then, we're all set!

Beta 2 released

- New Alt-tab window works;

- Start menu shutdown choices shows Log off, Switch user, Lock.

patchex7-b2.zip

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

If off-topic flamewar continues i'm not updating this thread.

Beta 2 released

- New Alt-tab window works;

- Start menu shutdown choices shows Log off, Switch user, Lock.

patchex7-b2.zip

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

If off-topic flamewar continues i'm not updating this thread.

Please don't let it put you off. You're doing great work

• Like 3

But what about Personalization Panel and Oceanis which both enable you to change the wallpaper on Windows 7 Starter? Those two software's are used by millions of people. And Microsoft have never taken the owners of them to court. So why should they bother with this man?

If he is so worried about this, why doesn't he write to Microsoft and ask them if it's all right to put the shell files in his software?I am sure that Microsoft couldn't care less. Andrea Borman.

Not at all true, Microsoft clamp down very heavily on unauthorised distribution of their IP

How can it not disable the ribbon? It's the Windows 7 version of Explorer.

I don't know exactly how it works but I assure you it doesn't disable the ribbon.

Please don't let it put you off. You're doing great work

I agree with this

I dont use windows but have enjoyed reading about the changes you have been able to make

Dont let the idiots put you off telling us how well ur doing