Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Woohooo. Tihiy, this is even better than Stardock's recent implementation! Jump lists are now actually working! Keep up the great great job! Just some more tweaks and you're ready to go

Using Beta 5, btw :p

• 1 month later...

Version 1.0 has been released. It looks and feels like Windows 7 right now. Except for two or three things that are from Win8 like the copy/move dialogue, selecting external displays, and wireless.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/157302-windows-7-explorer-for-windows-8/

You can grab it above.

Have been using it for some time now (2 weeks straight) and I can say it's smooth and worth a big try. For all of you moaners this is your solution.

• Like 2

Have been using it for some time now (2 weeks straight) and I can say it's smooth and worth a big try. For all of you moaners this is your solution.

Very interesting, will have to give this a spin on my test machine when I get home. I personally actually do like/use the Metro stuff never mind developing for it, but may have to recommend this to a couple friends who aren't of the same mindset, especially as (if I'm reading the site right) it's non-destructive and an easy-toggle.

Very interesting, will have to give this a spin on my test machine when I get home. I personally actually do like/use the Metro stuff never mind developing for it, but may have to recommend this to a couple friends who aren't of the same mindset, especially as (if I'm reading the site right) it's non-destructive and an easy-toggle.

Yes. Everything you'll need are just explorer.exe, and the current language folder from Windows 7. It's on the readme file.

Got around to trying it, been toying with it for a couple hours on a mirror of my main system.. so far it's actually quite good if this is the effect you're after. Haven't had any issues yet, after this and a couple of other tweaks it pretty much feels like a "Windows 7.5" now. Definitely going to make the Metro haters happy. Now just need to find a nicer theme...

Got around to trying it, been toying with it for a couple hours on a mirror of my main system.. so far it's actually quite good if this is the effect you're after. Haven't had any issues yet, after this and a couple of other tweaks it pretty much feels like a "Windows 7.5" now. Definitely going to make the Metro haters happy. Now just need to find a nicer theme...

Indeed.

About the theme, I'm still looking for a news post on how to enable Aero Transparency (from the China Post) :(

• 1 month later...

I don't know if people remember 98lite and possibly XPlite but using windows update on either generally made the system unbootable and/or refuse to update, please take note if you are going to use this.

Nope. But it can be fixed nonetheless, i've seen a reshack for shell32 which does this at MDL, can't find now though, sorry.

if you come across it please let me know

A word of caution. I patched Win 8 using this file and everything worked fine. However, this moring I used Wise Disk Cleaner and after deleting the Baseline cache and restarting my computer it would no longer bootup. Fortunately, everything was backed up using Acronis True Image and I was able to recover my previous image using the Acronis Bootup Recovery disk.