Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

windows 8 start menu

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#46 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:44

When I was using Windows 8 Developers Preview I did disable the Metro theme,with the registry edit. But Microsoft removed this option in Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows 8 Release Preview.

And if it was still possible I would disable the Metro theme as I am not using the Metro start menu. And I also think the Metro theme slows things down. Windows 8 is not as fast as Windows 7 anyway.

What Microsoft should have done is left it like it was in Windows 8 DP. So we could have disabled the Metro theme with the registry edit or Metro Disabler. But Microsoft have removed this option in Windows 8 CP and Windows 8 RP.

But if I had my choice I would disable the Metro theme.

And I am using Classic Shell because I like the Windows XP start menu and start button. That you don't even get on Windows 7.
And on Windows 8 the Metro start menu is inadequate for mine and most peoples needs.Using the Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu makes things easier. Andrea Borman.

Posted Image

You are saying if you could disable Metro, you would, in a thread specifically detailing how to do just that ?

#47 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:59

You are saying if you could disable Metro, you would, in a thread specifically detailing how to do just that ?

But that's just it. This software does not disable Metro just like that. You have to provide your own files. Why should we have to do that?What about users who don't have Windows 7?What do they do?

Surly if an app claims to disable the Metro theme or do something else,it should just do it. The files should be included in the software. Just like it is in Ribbon Disabler and start button changers.

So it seems this software was made by an amateur. If not then why doesn't the software maker provide the shell files for us in the software? Andrea Borman.

#48 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:03

But that's just it. This software does not disable Metro just like that. You have to provide your own files. Why should we have to do that?What about users who don't have Windows 7?What do they do?

Surly if an app claims to disable the Metro theme or do something else,it should just do it. The files should be included in the software. Just like it is in Ribbon Disabler and start button changers.

So it seems this software was made by an amateur. If not then why doesn't the software maker provide the shell files for us in the software? Andrea Borman.

Did you pay the guy for his hard work ?

Were you forced into using it ?

If you are too technically challenged to read instructions or to follow them, don't use it.

I would hate to try selling you a car, "But the petrol doesn't automatically appear in the tank, I have to put it in myself, I don't want it" :argh:

#49 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 16:23

Did you pay the guy for his hard work ?

Were you forced into using it ?

If you are too technically challenged to read instructions or to follow them, don't use it.

I would hate to try selling you a car, "But the petrol doesn't automatically appear in the tank, I have to put it in myself, I don't want it"

i don't think this man is getting paid for putting his software out on the web.

But software is different from a car.

How would you feel if Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 said it would give you a Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu? But you had to provide your own Windows 7 and Windows XP shell files to made it work?Most people would not use it. It's the same thing. Andrea Borman.

#50 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:02

i don't think this man is getting paid for putting his software out on the web.

But software is different from a car.

How would you feel if Classic Shell or Start Menu 7 said it would give you a Windows 7 or Windows XP start menu? But you had to provide your own Windows 7 and Windows XP shell files to made it work?Most people would not use it. It's the same thing. Andrea Borman.

Exactly, he is not getting paid, so show him some respect.

How would I feel? I would feel exactly the same as I do about this software, the INSTRUCTIONS are clearly stated BEFORE you download it.

I wouldn't download it if I didn't know how to use it.

Just because you wish he included more files does not mean there is anything wrong with it.

To be perfectly honest, NOT including explorer or explorer mui is the better way to do it, it leaves less for people to worry about malware being included in it.

Plus, he would have to include x64 and x86 files and more unnecessary instructions. Lot of effort for no reason, anyone with half a brain can find a copy of those files in a few minutes and anyone who can't shouldn't be playing with it (Hint hint)

I wish they forced people to earn a license before being allowed online

#51 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:38

But you have to provide your own shell files from Windows 7 to run this software. And then, to if you want to re-enable the Metro theme, you also have to find the right shell files for Windows 8.
You do realize that?

And so most people including me would mess up Windows. Because we don't know where the right shell files for Windows 7 or Windows 8 are. And we would put the wrong files in the patcher.

So if the OP wants to provide a software,he must include the correct files to enable and disable the Metro theme. We should not have to look for them ourselves.Andrea Borman.

#52 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:42

But you have to provide your own shell files from Windows 7 to run this software. And then to if you want to re-enable the Metro theme you also have to find the right shell files for Windows 8.
You do realise that?

And so most people including me would mess up Windows. Because we don't know where the right shell files for Windows 7 or Windows 8 are. And we would put the wrong files in the patcher.

So if the OP wants to provide a software,he must include the correct files to enable and disable the Metro theme. We should not have to look for them ourselves.Andrea Borman.

Oh, no... I didn't realise that... what should I do now Andrea Borman ?

Of course I realised that, if I had not realised that, how could I have used the patch ?

And there you go not reading things again

--
To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry.
--

You do not need any extra files to restore 8 to normal.

And no the OP must not do anything at all, he provided something out of good will, he has no contract with you or anyone else to provide anything.

Read things 10 times, try them, then come back and continue your argument.

#53 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:51

Oh, no... I didn't realise that... what should I do now Andrea Borman ?

Of course I realised that, if I had not realised that, how could I have used the patch ?

And there you go not reading things again

--
To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry.
--

You do not need any extra files to restore 8 to normal.

And no the OP must not do anything at all, he provided something out of good will, he has no contract with you or anyone else to provide anything.

Read things 10 times, try them, then come back and continue your argument.

Well I did not see any setting called 8 in the software. Only a command prompt and a shell or batch file I could not read. Andrea Borman.

#54 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 17:53

Well I did not see any setting called 8 in the software. Only a command prompt and a shell or batch file I could not read. Andrea Borman.

Well you already said that you did not copy the correct files into the patch folder so how could you have seen it.

Like I say, go read everything again many times, then go try it, then come back.

#55 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:00

Well you already said that you did not copy the correct files into the patch folder so how could you have seen it.

Like I say, go read everything again many times, then go try it, then come back.

Or better still let the OP make a new version of the software with all of the files and settings included. So we don't have to do anything but install and run it. like with other software programs. And then we will take him seriously. Andrea Borman.

#56 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:04

Or better still let the OP make a new version of the software with all of the files and settings included. So we don't have to do anything but install and run it. like with other software programs. And then we will take him seriously. Andrea Borman.

:laugh: 'We' are taking him seriously, it's only YOU who wants the files included, for the rest of us it is pretty straight forward.

I think you are underestimating the level of skill most people here have, do not tarnish us all with your own skill brush

----

Posted Image

#57 PrEzi

PrEzi

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:17

Including files OWNED by Microsoft could violate many rules and the software could be pulled off any sites by MS, you do realize that, right ?
Instructions are included, obtaining an ISO of Win7 is pretty easy, I would call that EOT and EOD.

Thanks developer for this great piece of work.
Hopefully we'll see this gets updated once RTM comes out.

#58 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:25

Including files OWNED by Microsoft could violate many rules and the software could be pulled off any sites by MS, you do realize that, right ?
Instructions are included, obtaining an ISO of Win7 is pretty easy, I would call that EOT and EOD.

Thanks developer for this great piece of work.
Hopefully we'll see this gets updated once RTM comes out.

But I thought you could just get the windows shell files by going into the Windows System folder on Windows 7. And that you did not need the Windows 7 CD or ISO.

But what about all of the other software on the web?

Start Menu 7 and other start button changers and Take Ownership that lets you delete files.And Ribbon Disabler. That is all still on the web and nobody has taken it down. So why should they care about this mans software if he provides an updated version with all of the files included?What is so different about this software that Microsoft would want to take it down? Andrea Borman.

#59 PrEzi

PrEzi

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:30

But I thought you could just get the windows shell files by going into the Windows System folder on Windows 7. And that you did not need the Windows 7 CD or ISO.

But what about all of the other software on the web?

Start Menu 7 and other start button changers and Take Ownership that lets you delete files.And Ribbon Disabler. That is all still on the web and nobody has taken it down. So why should they care about this mans software if he provides an updated version with all of the files included?What is so different about this software that Microsoft would want to take it down? Andrea Borman.

It seems you don't know a bit about EULA that you've agreed on when you've installed Microsoft software.
Ribbon Disabler and Start8 don't include MS proprietary pieces of software.

Let's end this offtopic / fruitless discussion.
Don't like it = don't use it.
Don't bitch and give this man some respect or don't say a word - as Detection said =
no one is forcing you to use this piece of software, and it seems that lack of knowledge (or understanding what proprietary code means) also doesn't explain it.

#60 Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman

Neowinian

Posted 22 July 2012 - 18:52

It seems you don't know a bit about EULA that you've agreed on when you've installed Microsoft software.
Ribbon Disabler and Start8 don't include MS proprietary pieces of software.

Let's end this offtopic / fruitless discussion.
Don't like it = don't use it.
Don't bitch and give this man some respect or don't say a word - as Detection said =
no one is forcing you to use this piece of software, and it seems that lack of knowledge (or understanding what proprietary code means) also doesn't explain it.

Well we can't use this software anyway. Because you have to find the shell files and I can't find them anywhere on my Windows 7. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. So how can we use it so to speak? The answer is we can't. Andrea Borman.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!