Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

All right,I know now that you have to provide your own files to use this software.

But I just want to ask if I used the shell files from Windows Explorer from my Windows Vista computer,would I then get the Windows Vista Explorer and start menu? Andrea Borman.

All right,I know now that you have to provide your own files to use this software.

But I just want to ask if I used the shell files from Windows Explorer from my Windows Vista computer,would I then get the Windows Vista Explorer and start menu? Andrea Borman.

The only way to find out is to try. I doubt it would work, but it just might.

Just don't ask about the XP shell resources working with this.

I doubt it would work, this program is designed to run with the Windows 7 explorer.

The only way to find out is to try. I doubt it would work, but it just might.

Just don't ask about the XP shell resources working with this.

I was just going to do that actually. Ask if it would give you the Windows XP Explorer and start menu.If you put the Windows XP shell files in the software instead. But this software is a bit of a joke anyway. Andrea Borman.

I was just going to do that actually. Ask if it would give you the Windows XP Explorer and start menu.If you put the Windows XP shell files in the software instead. But this software is a bit of a joke anyway. Andrea Borman.

Excuse me?

Tihiy's program does exactly what it was designed to do - replace the Windows 8 explorer with the Windows 7 explorer.

Just because you can't use it probably or have a problem with it doesn't mean it's a joke.

You can't blame him for it not working if you use the Windows XP or Vista explorer because that isn't what it was designed to use.

Oh this software is a joke. The OP should write on the introduction of the software-

"This software disables the Metro theme. But sorry folks.

You have to provide your own files."

So who is going to take it seriously? Andrea Borman.

Oh this software is a joke. The OP should write on the introduction of the software-

Learn to read, that is exactly what the OP has written on his post.

You can't get annoyed with other people for your own lack of ability.

<snipped> He clearly states the files required:

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip). It must be 32-bit version (if it's 64-bit, grab files from SysWOW64 dir). You can use Windows 7 files from same language build or en-US build.

It's been said a MILLION times in this thread:

The files are not included because Microsoft owns them.

What don't you understand?

Edited by Calum

If I've told you once, I've told you a million times, Stop Exaggerating ! :p

True. I just don't understand why it goes in one ear and out the other.

Maybe I should have made the font size 48 instead. :rofl:

True. I just don't understand why it goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe I should have made the font size 48 instead. :rofl:

It's been known to work :laugh:

Andrea: If the shell files were included in the distribution it would be against the rules to discuss or link to it on Neowin. We do not allow links or discussion of materials that are distributed by those other than their copyright holders.

You have multiple Windows 7 machines. Just get them from one of your other computers.

Well I tested this so called software out on my other netbook. And when I extracted the zip file to the desktop and ran it. All I got was a command prompt Window saying" cannot find Explorer exe." And nothing happened. It did not disable the Metro theme and the Metro theme is still there and my computer is still working.

But just now when I had a look again at Tihiy's instructions he says-

So that's it. Tihiy did not put the shell files from Windows 7 in his patcher. The software is just a command prompt and you have to find the right shell files in Windows 7 and copy it into the patcher exe.

But tell me who is going to do that? And how many people are going to know exactly what files to copy? And also we are talking about going into shell files on Windows 7, that are most probably hidden files anyway.

The answer is not many people. So I think we should forget about this software. And just stick to Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 or Vi Start. Or another start menu software. True,they don't disable the Metro theme. What they do is give you a start button and Windows 7 start menu on top of the Metro theme.

But as I said before,once you've got one of these software's installed,most of them boot straight to the desktop now. Skipping the Metro start screen. So if you have Classic Shell or another start menu software installed,you don't know that the Metro theme is there.

As the Windows 7 start menu in Classic Shell,Start Menu 7 or other start menu program you installed. It takes over all of the start menu functions and does exactly what the real Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu does.So you don't have to deal with the Metro start menu. Andrea Borman.

You got the command prompt because you did what I did at first. You must make the sub directory named \en-Us\ and put explorer.exe.mui in that folder. If you just put all the files in the C:\explorer7 folder this will happen.

Andrea, you need to leave your system files alone and you don't understand how it works... Because you can NOT read the first post that OP stated. You are not one of the advanced users who can manage the patches, tweaks, etc. If you think you are an advanced user, then you shouldn't have a problem patching/tweaking the files instead of coming to here and complain to the developer/modder about the problem you have.

Lastly, Andrea, if you bought a computer for internet surfing/chatting, then you don't need to tweak/patch your system files since you can NOT understand how it works. Go back to chatting/surfing which you are normally doing. Leave this topic alone and let the users download and try it out.

--

Anyway, OP, good job. Looking forward to the new updates...

--

This thread is hilarious... Seems that Andera doesn't get it.

• Like 2

Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8

Long story short, i made a wrapper to Windows 7 explorer.exe to run on Windows 8. You can try it now in order to have native Windows 7 desktop experience.

post-265656-0-17951900-1342191658_thumb.

You need to have Windows 8 Release Preview 32-bit installed. Most likely won't work for other builds.

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip). It must be 32-bit version (if it's 64-bit, grab files from SysWOW64 dir). You can use Windows 7 files from same language build or en-US build.

How could it possibly be any clearer than that? Please don't keep derailing this thread. And no there isn't a chance in hell it will work with XP's files.

Thread (somewhat) cleaned

Please remember that no matter how frustrated you may feel during a discussion, personal attacks are against our rules; likewise, accusing people of trolling is against our rules.

Thank you.

Wow, Tihiy this is beyond awesome, please continue your work on this.

I really, really hate Metro but i love some under-the-hood changes in Win8, so this really made me happy!

Looks like i joined here two years ago but this is the first thing that made me post a comment.

Funny how so many people always have to chime in with their two cents about this "defeating the purpose of Win8, blah blah" rather than just appreciating the technical skill and utility of this workaround. As with everything else I see online, so many people criticize, yet so few people actually produce anything of value. Great work, OP.

• Like 2