Radeon 7850 or 7950?

Currently using a sapphire 4870 512mb but I'm ready to upgrade.

Games I play / will play

Aion Online (strangely demanding game ever since they redesigned a new graphics engine. 4870 can't handle it)

Guild Wars 2

Skyrim

Uh...

Maybe I'd try Battlefield or something. I guess I don't play games too often. But when I do, I like them running smooth and looking nice.

I'd be playing in 1080p. Right now, I can get an MSI 7850 for $210, or an MSI 7950 for $320 (7950 comes with Dirt Showdown, Deus Ex and some other game for free). I imagine the 7950 would last me longer. Similarly, my 4870 lasted me forever and can still play most games but with lowered settings. Wish I could try a gtx 670, but it's out of my price range. I hear the 7000 series overclocks pretty well, though.

Thoughts?

For those games you don't need the 7950, but if it's in your price range and you're looking for future goodness then I'd go for that

For those games you don't need the 7950, but if it's in your price range and you're looking for future goodness then I'd go for that

That's sort of what I was thinking as well. The 7850 could probably handle everything OK right now, but from benchmarks I see it's already not hitting more than 45-50fps on some games on high settings. The 7950 should be able to do 50-70fps on most and hopefully keep up that performance for the next couple of years. Maybe...

I have 2 x 6850s and when drivers permitting CFX works, I can still play just about anything maxed out with great FPS

With 1 x 6850 games like BF3 are still easily playable, maybe not quite as smooth at times, but can be OC'd from 775/1000 to 940/1100 with no problems and gives a nice boost

The 7950 will be a bit more futureproof but the 7850 is still a pretty good card. Given the choice though i'd pick the 7950

The 7850 is faster than the 6850, the mid range device I assume it was intended to replace, but the 6950 I have still beats it so it's not an amazing card by any means

Only makes a difference to it's design, the extra shaders won't be unlockable like they were on the 6950

A few of the reviewers mentioned similar things

": Everything I stated below, plus a nice surprise, not only did both cards come with a 6+8 Pin power connectors, but one of my 7950's came with the stated clocks and 2048 shaders, not sure if everything else is in place, due to limited time messing with them. Will report more as I learn the other details."

Even though that might be a fluke, it seems like my best option at this point unless someone has some other recommendations. I don't care if it's used or refurbished.

I think I've decided between either a lightly used Gigabyte 7870 OC edition for $262, or a new HD 7950 for $320 after rebate.

edit: Nope, I still don't know what I want.

Just got it over with and bought the 7950!