Photo

Nashville Man Charged $84,000 For $30 Gas

tennessee $84k

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,150 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:21

Such a typical American statement.

I'm not from the USA, and this is the bank's fault. The guy from the news, as well as the others, as a contractual limit set. The bank breached the contract when they (1) surrendered a sum that the client did not have available (2) clearly surpassed the said limit.

#17 metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

• 458 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:30

I'd say that's more then a software glitch. I know nothing about programing, but how hard (or easy) would something like this be to create? Could it be a transposed number or letter, or an extra character?

there is a big difference between

int topay=calculategas();
//int a=80000000-calculategas();
int a=80000000*topay;
That simple error (its a stupid example) can make huge mistake.

#18 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,656 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:40

I'm not from the USA, and this is the bank's fault. The guy from the news, as well as the others, as a contractual limit set. The bank breached the contract when they (1) surrendered a sum that the client did not have available (2) clearly surpassed the said limit.

Overdraft laws in the US work differently. Before you had no way of turning off overdrafts and banks could charge you as many times in a day as they want. Obama passed a law that said you had to be given the option to turn off overdrafts, and if you had it on you can only be charged a maximum of 3 overdraft fines a day.

There is no contractual limit. It changes depending on what the bank thinks is appropriate. Hell you can select No I don't want overdrafts to be authorized and if its a recurring charge, the bank can allow it to go through or if its a charge that the bank deems as important (mortgage payment, probably even gas) the bank can allow it to go through.

#19 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:49

Something most people don't realize happens....
When you swipe a card then gas up.

Most gas stations put 100$ on hold....
then request the funds from the hold...
Most of the time the remainder goes back into your account right after the transaction.

I have had it take 24 hours for it to release that remainder which thank goodness I had cash on me for the other things I had planned to buy. Note -- Just for this example so you understand....

bal= 124$
gas up expect to use card and get 10$ gas--
get put on hold 100$ ( gas up)
normally at this point the remainder is put back in -- but does not happen.
go to grocery store = Try to purchase 40$ worth of goods...
Card is declined -

(note up until this point you had only Bought 10$ worth of gas...and tried to get 40$ worth of groceries which makes 50$ total)
In the mean time a 40$ bill tries to come out but is declined also.

Which in total you spend if things had been put back into the way they were supposed to there would be money left in your account because you only spent 90$ of the 124$.

I have had an experience like that-- an was told that some times it takes up to 3 days for that hold money to go back in.by my bank.

I was told at my bank that it is best to-- Go inside and tell them to - Pre-Pay for 10$ of gas, that way the gas station only charges you 10$

#20 ylcard

ylcard

Déu

• 3,041 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 18:49

On the bright side, after this **** is done he will get a nice sum of money in the lawsuit he will undoubtedly file against both Citibank and the gas station's owner (company).
And this has nothing to do with being American, I'd sue the **** out of both of them for creating and maintaining this mess.

#21 quick

quick

Neowinian

• 1,484 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 19:05

Wow this is completely ridiculous. For them to lock him out and for that to even happen is just crazy.

Moral of the story IMO, don't use DEBIT cards @ gas stations... well really anywhere that is risky...

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:58

It sounds like more than a software glitch to me.

#23 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,718 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 17:40

I'd say this is 100% the bank's fault. I know I have a $500 a day debit limit, and it is impossible to "overdraw" my bank account. If I have a debit purchase of $100 and i have $8 in the bank, I would get a "funds not available" or "request denied" on the debit machine.

I would assume the guy in question doesn't have that sort of feature to his account. However when the report says:

"They [The petrol station company] say it was a technical issue with their debit card processing system. They tell us they have a new point-of-sale system that apparently had some bugs."

... then I would presume it is the petrol company's petrol station systems which are at error.

Yeah, I tend to ignore anything that has the words 'typical American' in it. Like they (and the country they reside in) never **** up.

We're all the same :p However I see a lot more of it out of the US, but to be fair, you have many more people than us :D

#24 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 15:35

Moral of the story IMO, don't use DEBIT cards @ gas stations... well really anywhere that is risky...

I wouldn't use a debit card anywhere. The only use it has is for withdrawing money. Stick to credit cards. You can back charge, etc and not get screwed out of your money.

#25 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 4,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 00:13

I wouldn't use a debit card anywhere. The only use it has is for withdrawing money. Stick to credit cards. You can back charge, etc and not get screwed out of your money.

and use major brand gas stations like chevron or shell.