Godzilla

Monsters was very good, though the ending was too abrupt.  And no sequel?  (yet?)

The ending connects to the first sequence shown. As for a sequel, there's one in production but doesn't retain anyone from the original crew. I'd stay away from it. Think of it like Dog Soldiers: first one, brilliant. Second one, likely to be terrible.

The ending connects to the first sequence shown. As for a sequel, there's one in production but doesn't retain anyone from the original crew. I'd stay away from it. Think of it like Dog Soldiers: first one, brilliant. Second one, likely to be terrible.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to watch it again.  Too bad about the sequel, though we can hope.

So I'm not sure if you guys knew this, but Ken Watanabe plays a Scientist named Daisuke Serizawa. That name should be very familiar if you've watched the original 1954 Version.

I'd recommend that you also check out Gareth Edwards' previous movie, Monsters.

As for the official trailer, my body is ready :wub:

I thought that movie was boring and uninteresting.  :wacko:

And yeah, the new trailer looks amazing.

So I'm not sure if you guys knew this, but Ken Watanabe plays a Scientist named Daisuke Serizawa. That name should be very familiar if you've watched the original 1954 Version.

I wonder if Ken will don an eye patch at some point :D

Some footage was shown in Germany...description of what was seen and discussed!:

The initial scene takes place in a nuclear power station in Tokyo. Something goes wrong, and nuclear physicist Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) is able to avert a disaster. However, he has to deal with a personal loss. 15 years later we return to the same nuclear power station. This time the physicist in charge is Daisuke Serizawa (Ken Watanabe). Brody is sitting in an interrogation room. He is accusing colleagues from the power station as well as the government to hush up something... The reason for the incident 15 years ago was not an earthquake. It was something much worse, something they created that is returning. Moreover, Brody wants his son Ford Brody (Aaron Taylor- Johnson) back. Bryan Cranston delivers these emotional scenes convincingly.

As we have already learned watching the trailers, Ford is part of a special unit of the army in charge of delivering a certain radioactive load by train that is supposed to have an effect on the monsters or the threat they are posing. We cannot tell you what effect, however, you have read this correctly: the monsters! plural! Edwards kindly asked us not to reveal what their appearance.

The skydiving sequence from the trailer was also shown in Hamburg, but with additional scenes and edited differently. The additional footage contained something enormous, or to put it in Gareth Edwards' words: "When you want to watch a movie with a kaiju like Godzilla, you don't just want to see it fighting humans."

Gareth Edwards also mentioned being a huge fan of Pacific Rim and Guillermo del Toro, who told Edwards how much he enjoyed Monsters. According to Edwards, they have met before and are exchanging ideas constantly. Just think of a crossover: Godzilla vs Gipsy Danger! The rumor mill starts here... Edwards stressed that his monsters will be more detailed than the ones in Pacific Rim thanks to Weta. Moreover, he put a lot of attention on not using impossible camera perspectives in the movie, i.e. "Each shot looks like there is a camera team on the ground, on a roof or filming from a plane. Since you can place CGI cameras anywhere, you tend to select impossible perspectives, and therefore quickly lose any tangible connection to the action," said Edwards.

We were impressed by the gloomy and grim pictures. They reminded us a little of Cloverfield - only better. Seeing Godzilla, the monster itself, on the big screen in all its magnificence calms our skeptical Godzilla-fanboy hearts. "The mixture of the heads of a bear and a dog in connection with the majestic eyes of an eagle" so Edwards, that make up Godzilla's head, come close to the original, and transports the monster to present day.

Production on the movie is in its final phase now, we were told. On Monday (March 3rd) sound recording will start, while the last CGI shots are being finished right now, and the 3D conversion process is starting. The 3D trailer was also screened in Hamburg, and looked great even without or because it was lacking forced pop out effects. Fans can look forward to a dark and monstrous Godzilla without the silliness that plagued the version of Roland Emmerich's 'T-Rex-Godzilla', which "was no real Godzilla" as Edwards pointed out.

Here's what the excerpt reveals to us about both Godzilla, MUTO and the film's plot:

Godzilla is amphibious
Godzilla is male, not female
The atomic blast from 1954 did not kill Godzilla
Godzilla has been asleep in the Pacific Ocean for decades
The MUTO is an ancient creature, from the same time period that Godzilla existed in
Both Godzilla and the MUTO were natural enemies
Godzilla's atomic ray is consistent with previous films, though a rare occurance. Possibly because it does him harm or depleats his energy. The weapon may be more of a "last attempt" to survive, rather than a casual tool of destruction
Something resurrects the MUTO, which threatens Godzilla's survival
There could be more than one Godzilla in hibernation deep in the ocean