What have you achieved in life? so far

so woke up and found out that im nearly 30 and haven't done crap.

never went on a proper holiday , not married etc etc etc.

Just studied -> job -> work hard.

So was wondering what you guys have done with your lives?

thing i need to make a list of stuff to do before i end up in a care home

Dream of working in Ubisoft = Check ( 6 months as intern )

Dream of having my own business = Check ( Fashion photography )

Dream of working as concept artist and 2d animator = Check ( 1 year at my college's studio )

Dream of traveling whole World = pending, So this is what im going to do next, working day night to save money for that :)

Oh and i can speak 7 languages ( Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Haryanvi, Pahari, English, Persian ), so i count it as achievement too! :D

• Like 3

Don't sell yourself short. You obviously have a sense of pride, youve studied and work hard, some people don't even achieve that.

Maybe you need to take more me time, take a vacation the world is getting smaller and easier to reach.

I've been married for nearly twentyfive years, have a wonderful daughter who is at university. I've been working for the same company for nearly twenty years, but it's not my life. It's a means to an ends. we've been on plenty of holidays, from driving to transatlantic cruises.

We have our own house.

You have to take time for you, life is way too short, trust me you don't know what's round the corner make the most of it.

Good luck.

At 27 I had some friends of my father-in-law give me some great advice for my future in a career in IT, which convinced me to go back to school.

Now I'm 31 and I have accomplished...

Earned my BS in IT

Working on my MS in Information Security (and I have earned my Cisco Cert, plus I'm working on my CEH, CHFI, and GIAC ISO 27000)

Getting a job in the IT field for a great company and moving up quickly

...and my wife. :D Kids are next. :laugh: ... along with moving out of my condo (will rent it out since its worthless on the market) and owning an actual house.

There are plenty of things trying to drag me down, but I'm trying to not let those get in the way. :/

Finished my master's degree.

Published a book.

Had some solo and some collective art exhibitions.

Earned a couple of art acquisition prizes and a couple of important art selections.

Published in VICE magazine, twice (Yeah, might sound odd, but I always wanted to publish there).

My next goal: Earn a couple more acquisition prizes and getting both arms completely tattoo covered.

Depressing to think about really, not nearly what I feel I have the potential for. Or had. It's probably too late.

I fall under the category of 'wasted potential'. I know I can do much more with my life, but I haven't found that spark yet which will get me going.

Hint: There is no spark; You just have to go out and make it happen.

The bucket list? Let's see...

- Travelled around the world

- Lived in West Africa, Thailand, Singapore, etc..

- Drove from the West Coast to the East Coast

- Learn several languages and ate weird food

- Para sailed

- Got 2 masters degrees and getting a law degree now

- Got married and had several kids

- Worked in several IT startups

- Meet several famous people

And things I want to do:

- Sky dive and bungie jump

- Goto space

- Get a doctorate

- Raise great kids (better than my parents who raised me)

- ???

You can achieve many things if you take risks and do things out of your comfort zone. This is the only way to experience life!

Getting in shape - check (though never ever finished, I want to obtain beast mode one day)

Become single again - check

Acquire associates degree - check

Air Force - failed out my 5th week of training so... nope.

Acquire bachelor's degree - In progress!

May not seem like much to some, but being educated, single, no kids, having at least tried the USAF thing so I have no regrets all while being sexy (hurrr) is a good thing to me. Bring it on world, I'm ready! :D

Depressing to think about really, not nearly what I feel I have the potential for. Or had. It's probably too late.

Its never too late, if you want to achieve something, you can start anytime, just need enough will power and madness for it. :)

Get an engineering degree - check

Get a good job and start paying back loans - check

Get those damn loans paid off - in progress

File for a patent - check

File for an LLC and create a business plan - check

Actually open that business - in progress

Travel the world - check & in progress

Become successful in the stock market - check & in progress

Cringe at how much I will pay for an engagement ring and pop the question to my lovely gf - soon

Buy a new blacked-out Infiniti coupe - soon

Buy lake property - future

Be able to retire before I die - hopefully

If I was on my death bed tomorrow, I'd be pretty satisfied with what I've accomplished, but I'm hungry to take more risks and see what's around the corner.

• 3 years later...
On 15/07/2012 at 4:25 PM, peacemf said:

As others have said don't sell yourself short, some of the things you may have achieved may not seem big to you but they are. You shouldn't live your life by others standards/achievements.

What did you study, surely spending all that time and effort and coming out the other end is a pretty good achievement. I never bothered really with academics but I wish I did, so you've achieved something I never have and probably never will.

Are you happy in your job, or at least can you see a path to be where you want? As I said I was never really academic and didn't put any effort in so I left school/6th form with no real achievements to my name. Fortunately what I did have was fairly good work ethics so when I did get a chance at a pretty decent IT company I strieved and sure it may have taken me the best part of 9 years to get to where I am (and trust me its nowhere special) I'm very happy with what I've done in the past and where I am now. I'm not senior in anyway, I'm not special to this company but I'm happy with this job and where it could lead me in the future. I earn a pretty good wage for myself ( way above the uk average) so again, a super executive job may look impressive but it doesn't mean anything less is not an achievement.

When you say you haven't gone on a proper holiday, what would honestly count as a proper holiday? I went on holiday with my family plenty times to places like Spain or Portugal but in all honesty - the holiday I went on with some family last year was one of the best I've ever done and that was camping in Devon for a week. Don't think a "proper" holiday is something you can't afford and involves going on a plane and travelling to an exotic location.