DNS Problems at work...

dns wifi work wireless

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 trek

trek

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:00

Sounds like the static routes are screwed up to me. If you can't route to your internal DNS the name resolution will fail; if you can't route to the gateway, external access will fail along with google DNS. One of the hops between routers is probably misconfigured...

#17 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:04

Sounds like the static routes are screwed up to me. If you can't route to your internal DNS the name resolution will fail; if you can't route to the gateway, external access will fail along with google DNS. One of the hops between routers is probably misconfigured...

It's only the laptop that can't connect, other devices connect fine to the same AP

By chance could an identical computer name cause a conflict, or by 1 in a million chance, an identical MAC address to another on the network?

#18 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: htc EVO 3D: CM9 Devil Toast

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:09

Cannot ping anything and I don't have access to the modem and he won't give me access. The Cisco router is configured with a static IP and is set to allow 250 connections starting at 192.168.1.2 with the gateway set to 192.168.1.1. Here is a pic of my screen with all the info and everything shows I should be surfing but can't. http://db.tt/5zfBGIVw

I have also changed my laptop name and workgroup.

#19 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:15

Cannot ping anything and I don't have access to the modem and he won't give me access. The Cisco router is configured with a static IP and is set to allow 250 connections starting at 192.168.1.2 with the gateway set to 192.168.1.1. Here is a pic of my screen with all the info and everything shows I should be surfing but can't. http://db.tt/5zfBGIVw

I have also changed my laptop name and workgroup.

Doubt this would do anything if the account is already an Admin account, but try creating a new user account on the laptop ?

Another CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

#20 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:25

Doubt this would do anything if the account is already an Admin account, but try creating a new user account on the laptop ?

Another CMD

ipconfig /flushdns

Tried both, no luck. Here are the router settings with the ips blocked http://db.tt/TlHImK8v

#21 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:28

Tried both, no luck. Here are the router settings with the ips blocked http://db.tt/TlHImK8v

EDIT - My bad, was looking at the external IP

You say you can't even ping that AP in the screenshot @ 192.168.1.1 ?

What if you tracert 192.168.1.1

#22 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:41

EDIT - My bad, was looking at the external IP

You say you can't even ping that AP in the screenshot @ 192.168.1.1 ?

What if you tracert 192.168.1.1

Tracert worked and it shows I have internet access but as soon as I open a browser I get the DNS error then says no internet access again. Its really intermittent when it happens. By the way I just connected my touch pad for the first time to this network with no problems either. Oh and I have cleared my cache, cookies, and DNS same results.

#23 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 00:51

Tracert worked and it shows I have internet access but as soon as I open a browser I get the DNS error then says no internet access again. Its really intermittent when it happens. By the way I just connected my touch pad for the first time to this network with no problems either. Oh and I have cleared my cache, cookies, and DNS same results.

I've about exhausted my basic networking troubleshooting skills I think, sounds screwy that the router works with everything but your laptop, yet your laptop works with anything but that router

Has it ever worked with that router ?

Have you made sure there are no static IPs set for the other adapters in that machine like the Ethernet ?

Off to bed now, good luck, hope you get it sorted

#24 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:06

I've about exhausted my basic networking troubleshooting skills I think, sounds screwy that the router works with everything but your laptop, yet your laptop works with anything but that router

Has it ever worked with that router ?

Have you made sure there are no static IPs set for the other adapters in that machine like the Ethernet ?

Off to bed now, good luck, hope you get it sorted

Worked great up until this past Tuesday with no problems. I greatly appreciate your help tonight. Hopefully I will get it figured out. Seems like something is corrupted somewhere I just don't know what. I have tried everything I know and my touch pad and evo 3d work no problems and I have not had a guest complaint today either... If anyone else has any other ideas I am all ears :-)

#25 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:15

Worked great up until this past Tuesday with no problems. I greatly appreciate your help tonight. Hopefully I will get it figured out. Seems like something is corrupted somewhere I just don't know what. I have tried everything I know and my touch pad and evo 3d work no problems and I have not had a guest complaint today either... If anyone else has any other ideas I am all ears :-)

I wish I had more networking know-how :)

Pretty sure Budman will chime in and make us all look like amateurs :p

#26 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:33

From the screenshot it looks like the router does not respond to PING, but this is not necessary, and Windows detects Internet connectivity. Try pinging 8.8.8.8 for example or just try going to a website (make sure Proxy set to none) and see if it works.

#27 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:38

Windows seems to think you have Internet over IPv4...

Umm, proxy setting maybe?

#28 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 107
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:19

Days inn? And this hotel does not run a captive portal?

Every hotel I have ever used wifi at had a captive portal setup, you could not access external dns until you had authed by it redirecting any of your http traffic to the captive portal page.

So you manage this hotel network? You mention other devices working? And no guests with problems - so your laptop is just not working?

#29 OP NoLiMiT06

NoLiMiT06

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:39

Days inn? And this hotel does not run a captive portal?

Every hotel I have ever used wifi at had a captive portal setup, you could not access external dns until you had authed by it redirecting any of your http traffic to the captive portal page.

So you manage this hotel network? You mention other devices working? And no guests with problems - so your laptop is just not working?

Well the hotel is independently owned so he has to provide the network. I am not in charge of the network I was just tasked to get it fixed today and I got the static ips from TWC and assigned them in the router like they were supposed to be. The network is Ubee DDW3361 (Modem) Cisco E2500 (Router) Old D-Link (Switch) my boss will not allow me to look at the settings in the modem but I got in to the router by working with tech support because he had me reset it because everything on the modem side was working fine.

The only problem I am running in to is my laptop not working, I have tried 3 wifi adapters and ethernet and they all will not gain internet access. My Evo 3D and Touchpad work on the network no problems at all. I did wifi tether with my phone today and it worked as well and I have no issues at home so I am at a loss as to why I cannot come to terms with the damn Cisco router...

PS: The laptop does connect and allow me to surf for maybe 30 seconds then starts with the DNS errors again. I have tried IE, Firefox and Chrome all with the same result.

Is there a portal that can be run from this setup? I can propose the idea to him and see what he says and maybe he will let me do it.

#30 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:58

Just for ****s and giggles, disable IPv6 on your laptop and see if that makes a difference.

By way of a quick glance, it occurs to me that your laptop might be trying to access the outside world through an IPv6 connection, and one of the routers inbetween may not support it.

Also, the magic sauce: If you run a command in CMD, use > to port the output to a text file.

For example: tracert 192.168.0.1 > C:\Output.txt

Then you can just copy paste the text from output.txt instead of needing to stuff about :)