Idaho farm hosts 'weed dating' for singles

For one night a year, a neighborhood farm in northwest Boise turns into a respite for singles who are tired of the same old dating scene.

A poster board planted at the entrance of Earthly Delights Farm in late June advertised "Weed Dating," with a heart-stamped arrow guiding visitors to a sign-in table, where they were each assigned a number and invited to sample beer provided by a local brewer.

The farm is among a handful across the country offering an unconventional form of speed dating. Typically, speed daters meet at a bar or restaurant and switch conversational partners every few minutes, in hopes of finding someone compatible. With weed dating, this rapid-fire courtship takes place on the farm, with singles working together in the fields.

The payoff for their toil? A chance at romance.

Joe Peraino, 27, met his previous girlfriend while weed dating at the Boise farm last year. They were together for nine months and found that few others couples could top their account of how they met, said Peraino, who has since relocated to South Carolina.

"It's a pretty fun story, because it's not like a known thing, weed dating. A lot of people are like, 'So, were you on a pot farm?'"

Casey O'Leary, 33, owns the Earthly Delights Farm and first heard of the idea from a farm in Vermont. Farms in states that include Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Ohio have also advertised similar weed dating events. O'Leary organized her first weed dating last year for about 20 people, including some friends and interns on her farm.

More than 40 men and women showed up for this year's weed dating.

Here's how it works: Each of the ladies will be assigned to a specific row, with more instructions to follow after "we get you into the beds," :huh: O'Leary said, prompting nervous snickers that erupted into laughter as the tension eased. The women were given a crash course in how to identify a weed versus a vegetable or fruit, and then instructed to pass that information along to the men, who rotated from each bed every three minutes.

"Please don't pull out our crops. This is a working farm," O'Leary said before sending them off.

more

I suppose it's just like any other event where you meet others who share your talents/interests.

Whatever floats their boat, I guess. Or... grows their crops. Or whatever.

I can just image the kind of women I would meet at a farm weeding plants.

^ Why -- you looking for a new one ? :shifty: