aids gilead sciences truvada

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,873 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 18:45

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved the first drug shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection, a milestone in the 30-year battle against the virus that causes AIDS.

The agency approved Gilead Sciences' pill Truvada as a preventive measure for people who are at high risk of acquiring HIV through sexual activity, such as those who have HIV-infected partners.

Public health advocates say the approval could help slow the spread of HIV, which has held steady at about 50,000 new infections per year for the last 15 years. An estimated 1.2 million Americans have HIV, which develops into AIDS unless treated with antiviral drugs. With an estimated 240,000 HIV carriers unaware of their status, doctors and patients say new methods are needed to fight the spread of the virus.

Gilead Sciences Inc. has marketed Truvada since 2004 as a treatment for people who are already infected with the virus.

But starting in 2010, studies showed that the drug could actually prevent people from contracting HIV when used as a precautionary measure. A three-year study found that daily doses cut the risk of infection in healthy gay and bisexual men by 42 percent, when accompanied by condoms and counseling.

Last year another study found that Truvada reduced infection by 75 percent in heterosexual couples in which one partner was infected with HIV and the other was not.

more

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:35

Finally, a glimmer of hope.

#3 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:36

I really hope this works and helps prevent this horrible disease from killing any more people. Let's hope for the best until the Vaccine arrives in 2019 like they are promising.

#4 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 12,778 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:38

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved the first drug shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection, a milestone in the 30-year battle against the virus that causes AIDS.

The agency approved Gilead Sciences' pill Truvada as a preventive measure for people who are at high risk of acquiring HIV through sexual activity, such as those who have HIV-infected partners.

Public health advocates say the approval could help slow the spread of HIV, which has held steady at about 50,000 new infections per year for the last 15 years. An estimated 1.2 million Americans have HIV, which develops into AIDS unless treated with antiviral drugs. With an estimated 240,000 HIV carriers unaware of their status, doctors and patients say new methods are needed to fight the spread of the virus.

Gilead Sciences Inc. has marketed Truvada since 2004 as a treatment for people who are already infected with the virus.

But starting in 2010, studies showed that the drug could actually prevent people from contracting HIV when used as a precautionary measure. A three-year study found that daily doses cut the risk of infection in healthy gay and bisexual men by 42 percent, when accompanied by condoms and counseling.

Last year another study found that Truvada reduced infection by 75 percent in heterosexual couples in which one partner was infected with HIV and the other was not.

more

So whats the actual percentage when not using a condom?

#5 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,873 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 15:34

^ I would think that is a high majority that do not use condoms.

I often hear comments about how guys do not like to use one.

#6 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• 1,805 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 15:43

Calling shenanigans on this, how about just watching where you stick your dick in the first place? Is it that hard to do? I could see if your spouse cheated and you got it but in that case you just need to give up sex because you are a liability at that point. On the point about the condoms thing I can totally understand that, I hate them with a passion. Sensation is there but its just not the same thing. Its like trying to touch someone while in a hazmat suit.

#7 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:20

So whats the actual percentage when not using a condom?

Let's ask Elton John

#8 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 19:28

Let's ask Elton John

Huh?

This is definitely a good step, however I have concerns. First off, I worry that this will cause people to be less careful. So right there, since it is not 100% some people could still get sick. And depending on how many people aren't careful, more people could actually get sick. Who knows? Second, I have seen some studies that actually showed a higher rate of contraction in women than without. Now granted, polling and sample size could certainly have played a part there, I don't know that this drug has been studied enough.

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 9,362 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:40

this is very good news and i hope we are on the path to finally eliminating this disease and saving many lives. as for condoms, yes, they are problematic.

#10 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• 12,108 posts
  • Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:48

Let's ask Elton John.

I don't care, long as I got your love.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!