office 2013 office beta office

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#91 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 17 July 2012 - 21:09

If you sign in using the link at the top right corner of Excel, Word etc., (next to the smiley) you can change the theme.

Don't expect much, though.

Your Windows 8 account picture also appears here after you sign in.

#92 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 July 2012 - 21:43

If you sign in using the link at the top right corner of Excel, Word etc., (next to the smiley) you can change the theme.

Tried that, didn't give me the option to change the theme.

#93 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 17 July 2012 - 21:46

You can change the graphic used on the ribbon background. As for the actual window chrome, your options are: White, white or.. white.

#94 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:28

Tried that, didn't give me the option to change the theme.

You have to go into FILE|OPTIONS, then check where it says "Personalize your copy of..."

You have to at least open a blank document first.

#95 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:30

You have to go into FILE|OPTIONS, then check where it says "Personalize your copy of..."

You have to at least open a blank document first.

Well it certainly looks better without those irritating circles and stripes, shame you can't change the background colour though. Thanks for the tip!

#96 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 17 July 2012 - 22:31

Well it certainly looks better without those irritating circles and stripes, shame you can't change the background colour though. Thanks for the tip!

No Prob.

Edit: And yes. I would like very much to be able to change the bg colour.

#97 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 July 2012 - 23:28

I have been typing my report on Word 2013 and the most obvious thing I've noticed is that the interface is so white and so bright, it hurts my eyes.

#98 OP Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 18 July 2012 - 00:03

ClearType sub-pixel anti-aliasing is missing for most of the interface in this preview. I wrote about it here and highlighted the parts of the Word 2013 UI that still respect the system setting: http://blog.quppa.ne...e-of-cleartype/

Outlook 2013 has half its text rendered with ClearType and half with greyscale anti-aliasing, and OneNote 2013 is mostly ClearType with the exception of the ribbon. I'm hoping this will be fixed by RTM, but I won't hold my breath.

This for me is the most annoying thing. Subpixel AA is a great thing, it's a shame Microsoft is axing another great feature just to make things possibly look better on tablets with mixed orientation support. It sucks. Microsoft needs to realize that Office users are productive users who will be using a mouse and keyboard, not a touch interface. Make Metro viewer applications with annotation support and all that, but a touch-focused version of Office makes no sense.

#99 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 July 2012 - 00:10

Some Annoying Stuff

I'm confused why do I get 5 downloads of Office?
Also The My Office Buttons stream to my PC where is the online only (beta) web apps?
Will I be able to get an office version with only Word Powerpoint Excel and Onenote?
The Stark White Blinds me how about some themeing such as the blue black silver wood metal etc?
Hard to differentiate the document from the program background
Takes up lots of memory..

Multiple PCs, VMs, etc. (Why 5 downloads)

Also, if anything, I find it uses *less* memory compared to the 2010 versions - all the more shocking in the case of Word 2013's ability to edit PDFs directly, and as a native file type. (You can compare the memory usage with Task Manager.)

#100 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47

Figured out the solution to the Reading Mode being stuck on... though at first it makes no sense at all.

How I got myself stuck in Reading Mode: View > Read Mode.
How I thought to get out of it: View > Edit document. But doing that will make all future documents open in Read Mode.
How you're supposed to get yourself back in Printing Mode: click the toolbar button at the bottom. Wait, what? :pinch:

... on the brighter side, in addition to the neat animations I also like how they lightened up the wording in the applications to appear more friendly to users.
Examples: in protected view, Word 2010 reads "This file originated from an Internet location and might be unsafe. Click for more details." In Word 2013 it reads "Be careful - files from the Internet can contain viruses. Unless you need to edit, it's safer to stay in Protected View."
Or the Ribbon button: "Show only the tab names on the Ribbon" versus "Feeling cluttered? Put the ribbon away so that only the tabs show."

Part of me thinks MIcrosoft is really trying to appear hip and trendy in this user-friendliness move, but either way it does seem nicer to see less 'boring' text :p

#101 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:28

I used it yesterday, it was only in Word where the whiteness was a bit too much in your face. Everything else was fine I found.

I do believe it needs a color wheel or something so I can pick my own background or, as Word is blue have a shade of blue around the document etc.

If it gets added excellent, if not I'd still use it :)

#102 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:14

Honestly I don't see a problem with the white. it's not terribly bright, I can clearly separate the document form the not white but grey gradient background.

seriously people. pull down your brightness setting and contrast setting to reasonable settings.

#103 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:45

seriously people. pull down your brightness setting and contrast setting to reasonable settings.

They never learn, do they.

The world does not need a new MS Office suite every other year. There is nothing wrong with Office 2010.

LibreOffice/OpenOffice is on a 6 month development cycle! And the world doesn't need a new version of Chrome and Firefox every 6 weeks either :rolleyes: /s

Microsoft isn't releasing a new MS Office suite every other year... they are releasing a new Office suite every 3 years lately. Basic math?

2003, 2007, 2010, 2013...

Besides, nobody is forcing you to upgrade. Don't want it? Don't buy it. Stop speaking for everybody.

People will complain about anything and everything

#104 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:07

Honestly I don't see a problem with the white. it's not terribly bright, I can clearly separate the document form the not white but grey gradient background.

I just think it's a little weird how there's no clear separation between the collapsed ribbon and the document content. I do like how it looks. Not so sure I'll actually enjoy using it.

Attached Images

• word.png

#105 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:51

Hawkman, my settings are correct. It's not the fact it's bright for me anyway, it's just the fact that outside the document is white aswell, there's no definition or different style in all honestly.

Maybe, just maybe the background outside of the document is slightly a different shade of white.... it needs to be darker really #C0C0C0

I think this will be changed anyway, it's just a preview after all and everything works fine, just the whiteness needs rectifiying which I'm confident it will be, as there's more than one person moaning about it