Captain America : The Winter Soldier (2014)

giy3D.jpg

Marvel isn't resting on its laurels after a victory lap at Comic-Con this weekend. The studio moving ahead on casting its latest project Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Anthony Mackie is in negotiations to star alongside Chris Evans in the sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger, which is being directed by Joe and Anthony Russo.

The film will be released on April 4, 2014.

Plot details are being kept under wraps but the subtitle suggests a respected comic book storyline from the 2000s that resurrected Captain America's sidekick Bucky as a brain-washed super assassin known as the Winter Solider.

While Marvel would not comment nor divulge charater details, it is believed that Mackie will portray the Falcon, one of mainstream comics' first black superheroes and perhaps its first American one.

The character, Sam Wilson, is Harlem-based and had many street adventures with Cap in the 1970s comics, when he served as his partner. He derives his powers from a suit that allows him to fly and enhances his strength. He can also telepathically talk to birds. In current comics, Falcon is a key player in many of Cap's espionage adventures.

Mackie, who became a hot commodity after his turn in The Hurt Locker, is currently on the big screen in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. He has the Warner Bros. all-star crime movie Gangster Squad coming out this fall, he recently completed shooting Michael Bay's Pain and Gain and is now shooting Runner, Runner with Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/anthony-mackie-captain-america-sequel-349622

• 1 month later...
After casting Anthony Mackie as The Falcon in the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier last month, Marvel Studios is currently searching for a female lead in the much anticipated sequel to last year's Captain America: The First Avenger. The New York Daily News reports that Marvel is looking at Anna Kendrick (The Twilight Saga, 50/50), Imogen Poots (Fright Night, Jane Eyre) and Felicity Jones (Like Crazy, Chalet Girl) for the role. The identity of the character is currently unknown, but is speculated to be S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Sharon Carter, the niece of Peggy Carter (played by Hayley Atwell in Captain America: The First Avenger). Kendrick will next be seen in End Of Watch, which releases September 21st. Jones recently lost the female lead for Paramount's Jack Ryan reboot to Keira Knightly.

[x]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

aFb8o.jpg

? Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)

? Jessica Brown Findlay (Downton Abbey)

? Teresa Palmer (I Am Number Four)

? Imogen Poots (Fright Night)

? Alison Brie (Mad Men)

Deadline reports that Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors Joe and Anthony Russo have a short list of five actresses for a major "love interest" role in the highly anticipated Marvel Studios sequel. The site doesn't have a name for the character, but it seems fair to assume that they're in the running to play 'Sharon Carter'.

It has also been confirmed that Scarlett Johansson will reprise her role as 'Black Widow' in the film. Which of the actresses listed above would you most like to see play Steve Rogers' new love interest?

aFb8o.jpg

? Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)

? Jessica Brown Findlay (Downton Abbey)

? Teresa Palmer (I Am Number Four)

? Imogen Poots (Fright Night)

? Alison Brie (Mad Men)

1. Alison Brie

2. Teresa Palmer

3. Emilia Clarke

4. Imogen Poots

5. Jessica Brown Findlay

• 3 weeks later...

5b2V9q5.png

Even with various shooting locations locked in for early next year, Marvel's forthcoming sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, is still in the casting stages; at least in the media's eye. And long before The Grey actor Frank Grillo surfaced as a new potential cast addition, a shortlist made rounds for the sequel's female lead, in which five actresses - Emilia Clarke, Jessica Brown Findlay, Teresa Palmer, Imogen Poots, and Alison Brie - were in contention for. However, according to the Daily Express, Brown-Findlay is the ?front-runner? for the role believed to be Sharon Carter.

Weeks after the aforementioned shortlist hit, reliable sources had reported that Marvel and duo-directors Joe and Anthony Russo were strongly considering Mary Elizabeth Winstead. But the Scott Pilgrim actress has since debunked the so-called rumor on her Twitter account, as expected. Nonetheless, if the Daily Express isn't reporting the shortlist a little late to the game, and playing favorites, then it seems Jessica Brown-Findlay will nab the role.

Frank Grillo Confirmed To Play Crossbones In CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

Cobie Smulders Set To Return As ?Maria Hill? In CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

Alongside Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury & Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, it seems the Captain America sequel will surely see S.H.I.E.L.D.'s return in full force, now with Cobie Smulders' Maria Hill.

I hope they do Capt some justice after the 1st one.

I agree the first one was not very good, but he redeemed himself in Avengers

I agree the first one was not very good, but he redeemed himself in Avengers

He did, but due to the first not being that good, he isn't as much of a central role as I think he should be. Maybe it's what they wanted in the Avengers, but I've always seen Capt as like the .... glue... the main ingredient... of the group. I just never really got that vibe from Avengers.