office 2013 office 365

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#76 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 July 2012 - 14:10

Aesthetically I like it, but I agree about the contrast. It's hard to tell the difference between a greyed out button and an active one. I'll need to think up something to write, and a few other things to do to be able to really form an opinion on it, and even then it'll only be on Word and Outlook, as I don't use anything else regularly.

I've been giving both Word and Outlook a proper shakedown because, like you, they are the two programs of Office I use the most. No minuses, and there are a few pluses.

1. Outlook 2013 is faster than 2010 - no matter which way you slice it.
2. Word 2013 now edits PDFs natively - in short, it treats PDFs (and likely ODF files as well) on par with Word documents. Is this why Flash is now included with Windows 8 - compensation for pilfering Adobe revenue? (This is actually understandable- which is a business - any business - more likely to have already - Acrobat or Word? And if I were in Adobe's shoes, I'd certainly want quid pro quo for all that revenue I'm no longer going to get.)

Those two reasons *alone* are plenty to keep Office 2013 around.

#77 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 14:31

Not only that, but Word seems a hell of a lot better at editing PDF documents than Acrobat Pro is. It was painful to do it in Acrobat, but it's quite easy (beyond the tedium of going through that many pages to fix formatting errors) in Word.

#78 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 July 2012 - 15:55

So, yeah, does anyone expect them to still have the different color schemes they have in 2007 and 2010? Maybe they're just giving us the default "white" which will also be the new default theme in Windows 8 for now?

#79 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:26

So, yeah, does anyone expect them to still have the different color schemes they have in 2007 and 2010? Maybe they're just giving us the default "white" which will also be the new default theme in Windows 8 for now?

That's what I'm thinking - the default theme is *none* (therefore all that unrelieved white). There are two new themes that weren't in Office 2010 - Clouds and Circuits. (I deliberately chose Circuits.) Clouds *does* match a background choice for the Start Screen (and echoes the older *Bliss* and *Royale* themes for XP/MCE, respectively). Also, unlike Office 2010, you select your Theme choice during the install (not post-install).

#80 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:39

That's what I'm thinking - the default theme is *none* (therefore all that unrelieved white). There are two new themes that weren't in Office 2010 - Clouds and Circuits. (I deliberately chose Circuits.) Clouds *does* match a background choice for the Start Screen (and echoes the older *Bliss* and *Royale* themes for XP/MCE, respectively). Also, unlike Office 2010, you select your Theme choice during the install (not post-install).

Right, I wonder if they're going to have it somehow match the start screen theme color so that white might be dark gray if that's what you picked for the start screen as well? If the background images are going to match I see no reason why the colors can't, and it wouldn't really be a problem with the UI to change. Though some colors will probably look worse of course.

#81 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 18 July 2012 - 17:16

So far I'm liking it overall - scrolling performance in Word seems to be much better - I have a 47 page Word doc filled with tables and images and styling that Word 2010 just didn't want to scroll smoothly (or fastly), and this version of Word does it delightfully smoothly and fast.

I also quite like the animation touches, this is what I've been imagining and hoping the majority of desktop apps would feel like to use interface wise for a few years, yet no one seems to wants to waste development time and money on small user experience touches, no matter how much better they make the experience feel.

Touch mode also seems to work great on my touch screen for the vast majority of things.

I will say though that although I don't think Word looks too white - Outlook does. That, and the email / contact header area ontop of each email is far too big for something I can't seem to hide And putting the "pin ribbon" button in the ribbon itself both wastes space, and makes it slightly more annoying to repin it, considering the button is now no longer always visible.

#82 ccoltmanm

ccoltmanm

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 19:49

Word doesn't do a good job of converting PDF to word and editing. It kind of makes everything a text box.

#83 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:13

I don't agree, sharepoint has a cloud server option but the local version isn't going to go away. I also don't see how Office 2013 isn't for the desktop, the UI is still the same just a different color scheme at this point (we could and probably will see some more themes for it like we have in 2007 and 2010). I don't get how it's changed so much that you think it's not for the desktop? You can say what you will about Windows 8 but I just don't get it with Office at this point.

Apparently it's not even that touch-friendly.

I agree that there is nothing I've seen that makes 2013 more touch friendly than 2010. So as I said elsewhere, its no surprise to me that their flagship is still very mouse optimized.

So far I'm liking it for the most part. The whiteness is a bit much at times and I'm not happy about the mandatory SkyDrive Pro context menu either.

Am I missing it but I don't see a way to save to my private SharePoint vs theirs? I assume this will be in the final version (and hopefully tightly integrated with the SP2013 My Documents).

#84 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:20

I agree that there is nothing I've seen that makes 2013 more touch friendly than 2010. So as I said elsewhere, its no surprise to me that their flagship is still very mouse optimized.

Using Office 2013, I can say that the larger, more spaced hit targets and expanded menu's are brilliant on a touch screen.

Mouse vs. Touch:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Though Office 2010 already had pinch to zoom and nice pan scrolling.

#85 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:36

Word doesn't do a good job of converting PDF to word and editing. It kind of makes everything a text box.

What are you comparing it to?

#86 +Chsoriano

Chsoriano

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:42

Is anyone else seeing e-mails in text instead of HTML in Outlook 2013?

I connected my Hotmail account and almost all of my messages are showing up in regular text format (i.e., non rich-text/HTML mode)

#87 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:51

Using Office 2013, I can say that the larger, more spaced hit targets and expanded menu's are brilliant on a touch screen.

Haven't tried it first hand on touch yet. So from your screenshots it looks like the UI changes based on detected input method? (If so, zomgz, what a concept. ;) )

#88 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:12

:edit: I just saw the blog. That is pretty fantastic. I was wrong that the UI hadn't changed much. It is a testament to how well they implemented the new Touch Mode UI in practice. The radial menu looks especially tasty (also a good example of a UI snippet that can be used via mouse, but would not be optimal).

Two notable quotes from the blog not mentioned in the summary which I am absolutely on board with:

We believed people would continue to use Office at their desks, and type on physical keyboards at a desktop or laptop, but would also start to use tablets and hybrid laptop/tablet devices in a variety of other situations: leaning back in a chair, leaning forward on a train, bus, or plane, sitting on a couch, lying in bed, standing and holding with two hands, or walking down the hall.

The first is that we've begun to build new versions of some of our apps (OneNote and Lync) specifically tailored for the new experience in Windows 8. For these, we deliberately started from scratch to design new versions that were touch-first. The second is that we've touch-enabled the familiar desktop versions of all of the Office apps. These continue to be designed first and foremost for mouse & keyboard, and to preserve the features & layout you're used to, but now support touch throughout the experience. This dual approach allows you to immediately get the full power of Office on a touch machine with no relearning required, along with new experiences that embrace touch from the ground up and deeply integrate with the new experiences in Windows 8.

-Gray Knowlton

Now just do the same thing for Metro and I'll start making Kool-Aid.

#89 migo

migo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:26

They have, sort of, with both the tile interface, and making the desktop mode flatter.

#90 myxomatosis

myxomatosis

Shrinking Universe

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:31

They went over the top with all this white. It's embarassing and it hurts the eyes after a few hours. I hate it so far.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!