Help me find a distro with beautiful fonts and good vertical screen space u

Good thing too. With Linux DEs you used to be able to choose between ugly Gnome, ugly KDE or nondescript BlackBox. At least now there are Linux DEs that don't make you want to stab your eyes out.

I actually tried Gnome3 when it came out (openSuSE in this case), and for the most part I really liked it, but some of the control windows popped up requiring 600 vertical pixels instead of the 576 I had. As if the devs had forgot to consider supporting all resolutions instead of setting a minimum one). Is there actually a fix for that, or a way to manually resize every window even if the devs thought that the window shouldn't be resized?

Hmm, it's hard for me to say that because I've never run into a situation where I've had to resize the windows. But some of the dialogs/windows are non resizable, like the System settings dialog for example.

Right, that's the one.

Also download the GTK3 theme mod that's been linked a few posts down on there. The Gnome shell theme coupled with the GTK3 theme will give you that look.

Copied the theme into usr/share/themes/ but in advanced settings > theme, the shell theme is greyed out saying: Could not list shell extensions

Any ideas ?

Copied the theme into usr/share/themes/ but in advanced settings > theme, the shell theme is greyed out saying: Could not list shell extensions

Any ideas ?

Just make sure you have the user-themes Gnome3 extension installed, and copy the shell theme to your home directory's '.theme' folder [hidden]. It'll then show up in the list.

I personally have, both, the shell theme and the GTK in the hidden '.themes' folder and applied both from there.

Hmm, it's hard for me to say that because I've never run into a situation where I've had to resize the windows. But some of the dialogs/windows are non resizable, like the System settings dialog for example.

Yeah, that's always a problem if I can't see where to click Next/Accept, which usually ended up being the only part that was obscured.

Thanks, that's very useful. To my eye the infinality patches look just a bit better than Ubuntu default rendering, although I doubt I could put my finger on specifically what it is (no matter, I only need to know for me that it looks subjectively better than something else).

The default rendering on the infinality patches aren't always that noticable. To really get the most out of them, you should either:

$ infctl setstyle
Select a style:
1) debug	   3) linux   	   5) osx2   	  7) win98
2) infinality  4) osx   	   6) win7   	  8) winxp

To set a predefined style, or edit /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and customise it to fit your exact preferences.

It should be noted that some of those predefined styles require MS ttf's to be installed. They can be installed through your distro's repository as usual.

Nice, I've definitely been liking when I see that in a distro review. One question though, with Chromium, do the tabs end up sitting in the top panel?

Not that I'm aware of, but you can always go full screen in a browser and reclaim the whole vertical screen space for it.

I think I'd have to be doing the latter. The reason I like ClearType so much is because I go through several panels of options for font rendering to pick what looks good to me, even if someone else would really not like it. Guess I'll get to find out exactly what settings I chose through the wizard.

Yeah, that's always a problem if I can't see where to click Next/Accept, which usually ended up being the only part that was obscured.

It sucks when you can't resize a window that's bigger than your screen res, but at least you can drag the window up using alt+drag on any part of it (instead of just being able to drag using the title bar) and get to see the buttons at the bottom.

I tried Infinality last night and I'll admit - it's very nice!

Had to remove it earlier though because it causes flash player to crash which is a shame.

Good thing too. With Linux DEs you used to be able to choose between ugly Gnome, ugly KDE or nondescript BlackBox. At least now there are Linux DEs that don't make you want to stab your eyes out.

What else is there? I only really see people using either GNOME, KDE or *box. I'm not up to date with these things :)

I tried Infinality last night and I'll admit - it's very nice!

Had to remove it earlier though because it causes flash player to crash which is a shame.

Does anything else crash? 'Cause I'd be inclined to blame that on Flash, as it has previously been the cause of all my worst system lock-ups.

Fair enough.

I'm waiting for Elementary Luna at the moment, I like what they're doing, minus that full screen doesn't seem to do full screen properly yet. Fuduntu looked interesting, but I actually liked Gnome 3, and I wish the devs would take a creative approach like Mint did rather than stick their heads in the sand and stick with 2.32 (although I fully recognise that some users really don't want the change and are happy to get continued support of their preferred DE).