Needles found in Delta airline food

(Reuters) - Delta Air Lines said on Monday that "sewing-type" needles were found in sandwiches served on flights from Amsterdam to three U.S. cities over the weekend and that investigators were trying to determine how they got into the meals.

The airline said the needles were found by passengers in four sandwiches on flights from the Dutch capital bound for Atlanta, Minneapolis and Seattle. Kristin Baur, a Delta spokeswoman, said local and federal authorities were investigating the incidents aboard four flights.

She said the airline had taken immediate action with the caterer "to ensure the safety and quality of the food" served on its aircraft.

Christina Ulosevich, a spokeswoman for Gategroup, the Swiss-based company whose Gate Gourmet unit supplies Delta with onboard meals, said the caterer was cooperating fully with investigators.

But she declined to comment further, saying "details of this matter must remain confidential."

source

I wonder if this a a case of passengers doing it themselves, looking to sue for money.

At the same time, on several different flights? I doubt it in this case. Isolated incidents are more suspicious though, agreed.

Sadly, DocM is probably right. Some disgruntled employee with a really twisted mind...

The likelihood of this being accidental is small. There's some really sick puppies out there....

I agree. Could it have been the work of terrorists?

I can remember flying Pan Am, American, Lufthansa and BAL when you looked forward to just the ride; good food, wider seats, miniskrted stews (:)) and excellent service.

I wonder if this a a case of passengers doing it themselves, looking to sue for money.

Apparently two of the passengers who found the needles were father and son on two separate flights. Who knows.

kinda like how mcdonalds customers find bandaids and pieces of fingers AFTER they leave the store with their food