Inactivity 'killing as many as smoking'

A lack of exercise is now causing as many deaths as smoking across the world, a study suggests.

The report, published in the Lancet to coincide with the build-up to the Olympics, estimates that about a third of adults are not doing enough physical activity, causing 5.3m deaths a year.

That equates to about one in 10 deaths from diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and breast and colon cancer.

Researchers said the problem was now so bad it should be treated as a pandemic.

And they said tackling it required a new way of thinking, suggesting the public needed to be warned about the dangers of inactivity rather than just reminded of the benefits of it.

The team of 33 researchers drawn from centres across the world also said governments needed to look at ways to make physical activity more convenient, affordable and safer.

It is recommended that adults do 150 minutes of moderate exercise , such as brisk walking, cycling or gardening, each week.

more

Inactivity 'killing as many as smoking'

A lack of exercise is now causing as many deaths as smoking across the world, a study suggests.

The report, published in the Lancet to coincide with the build-up to the Olympics, estimates that about a third of adults are not doing enough physical activity, causing 5.3m deaths a year.

That equates to about one in 10 deaths from diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and breast and colon cancer.

Researchers said the problem was now so bad it should be treated as a pandemic.

And they said tackling it required a new way of thinking, suggesting the public needed to be warned about the dangers of inactivity rather than just reminded of the benefits of being active.

The team of 33 researchers drawn from centres across the world also said governments needed to look at ways to make physical activity more convenient, affordable and safer.

It is recommended that adults do 150 minutes of moderate exercise, such as brisk walking, cycling or gardening, each week.

The Lancet study found people in higher income countries were the least active with those in the UK among the worst, as nearly two-thirds of adults were judged not to be doing enough.

The researchers admitted comparisons between countries were difficult because the way activity was estimated may have differed from place to place.

Nonetheless, they said they remained confident that their overall conclusion was valid.

Pedro Hallal, one of the lead researchers, said: "With the upcoming 2012 Olympic Games, sport and physical activity will attract tremendous worldwide attention.

"Although the world will be watching elite athletes from many countries compete in sporting events... most spectators will be quite inactive.

"The global challenge is clear - make physical activity a public health priority throughout the world to improve health and reduce the burden of disease."

Prof Lindsey Davies, president of the UK Faculty of Public Health, agreed.

"We need to do all we can to make it easy for people to look after their health and get active as part of their daily lives," she said.

"Our environment has a significant part to play. For example, people who feel unsafe in their local park will be less likely to use it."

But others questioned equating smoking with inactivity.

While smoking and inactivity kill a similar number of people, smoking rates are much lower than the number of inactive people, making smoking more risky to the individual.

Dr Claire Knight, of Cancer Research UK, said: "When it comes to preventing cancer, stopping smoking is by far the most important thing you can do."

Source: BBC News

"The Lancet study found people in higher income countries were the least active with those in the UK among the worst, as nearly two-thirds of adults were judged not to be doing enough."

Normally I'd reply to *nonsense like this, but to be totally honest it's just too much trouble.

*Considering that the average UK worker works more hours & does more overtime than workers in virtually all other European countries, maybe the average Briton is just too knackered after they have finished work to exercise.

Isn't this where someone usually says 'Only in America...' without actually reading the article?

I never say 'only in America'. The Lancet, no doubt, has its own political reasons &/or agenda for publishing this gibberish.

But the thing is, just merely brisk walking for an extended amount of time is enough exercise. You don't have to sprint a whole 100m to be healthy, it just means you aren't athletic. And if you are licing in a busy city, you will brisk walk to work, to your bus/train a lot.

Or if you are like me with terrible time keeping, sprint to the bus stop, only to see it leaving and then walk another 15 minutes for the next bus which requires even more walking afterwards. This is Auckland for you.

I'd reply to this topic, but then I'd have to get up & type stuff. I'm just too lazy ...

Only 150 minutes per week? People should be doing that much per day.

That'd be nice.. unfortunately a lot of folks' schedules (mine included) don't allow for 2+ hours of exercising. At least not dedicated time. Getting up and moving, walking to lunch (if possible), taking the stairs, etc should always be worked into one's day and it adds up. I do go to the gym ~3 days a week, but I do the shorter interval-type exercises, bursts of high intensity alternated with a steady pace. Has worked well for me and doesn't take more than half an hour or so at most.

I spend about 5 minutes a day on dumb-bells and another 5 on bar weights and even that small amount has started getting on my nerves knowing I haven't done it that day yet

I used to really enjoy exercise and weights but these days I feel like I've got about an hour of energy when I get up then I`m falling asleep for the rest of the day

Probably something to do with my 4am bedtimes mind.... :p

I had to walk up a hill today because the shop cash machine was out of money :angry: :laugh: