pay by the mile metropolitan transportation commission

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,862 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 21:55

SAN JOSE, Calif., July 18 (UPI) -- A California transportation agency said it is considering a tax on motorists for each mile they drive in their cars.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission, the San Francisco Bay area agency leading the discussions on the possible tax, said the plan would likely involve GPS-like devices installed in cars to keep track of the miles traveled by motorists, with low-income drivers excepted, the San Jose Mercury News reported Wednesday.

Randy Rentschler, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, said the plan for a vehicle miles traveled tax, or VMT, could take up to a decade to implement if it is embraced by the public.

"I don't want to say it's pie in the sky. A VMT charge is really an option for the future to be looked at and considered," Rentschler said.

The Association of Bay Area Governments, which includes city councilors and county supervisors, is scheduled to analyze a study of the proposal Thursday.

source

#2 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,253 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:00

absolutely stupid. tax and spend has ruined California. Why don't they ever learn? they ruined California Central valley farmers over some stupid smelt fish.

#3 jjkusaf

jjkusaf

Deadhead

• 1,086 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:10

Wow...really? Who wants to live in California (or can afford to anyway). I figured the tax on gas would alleviate any need on paying per mile. Doesn't a person who gets less MPG pay more per mile/state than someone who gets more MPG?

Also, how detailed would the GPS be? Privacy concerns? Cost of installing the GPS on the driver or the state...and if it is the state....how far do the drivers have to go before "it pays for itself"?

Stupid tax.

#4 abysal

abysal

Neowin Addict

• 1,135 posts
  • Phone: BB9930/SGS5

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:10

There are plenty new revenue sources that are just waiting to be explored. These should allow the government to sustain it's self for many more years to come. It is each citizens duty to step up and chip in; welcome to the new America.

#5 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,253 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:20

they assume when they pass taxes that, they will generate X amount of income. but everyone is broke, lost their jobs and aren't contributing. but Jerry Brown was voted BACK by the people. oh well.... not my problem

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,862 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:23

Someone needs to vote a few CA politicians out of office. :rolleyes:

#7 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,900 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:26

PA tried this under the genius of Ed Rendell a couple of years ago. It was deemed too big brother and didn't go through. That's how I hope it plays out in CA as well. There is absolutely no way that tracking the citizens is not a violation of their privacy.

#8 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:09

Next up, a tax on the air we breath.

#9 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,862 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:11

^ Well, there is a tax on the air we pollute. :laugh:

#10 KingCracker

KingCracker

I am your huckleberry.

• 4,290 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:12

Glad I left that hell hole last year.They're gun laws made me leave but their taxes sucked too.

#11 flexkeyboard

flexkeyboard

Neowinian

• 866 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:13

Next up, a tax on the air we breath.

Were's not too far from that actually. The carbon tax is on the Congressional floor pretty soon.

#12 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,744 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:20

One more reason for companies to leave California for Texas, Arizona and points East all the way to Florida, and they are leaving in droves. Just this week there was a story about all the new space companies that are moving or expanding in Texas rather than in California, including SpaceX.

#13 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:27

Wow...really? Who wants to live in California (or can afford to anyway). I figured the tax on gas would alleviate any need on paying per mile. Doesn't a person who gets less MPG pay more per mile/state than someone who gets more MPG?

Also, how detailed would the GPS be? Privacy concerns? Cost of installing the GPS on the driver or the state...and if it is the state....how far do the drivers have to go before "it pays for itself"?

Stupid tax.

Almost exactly what I was going to post. Taxes on license plates and gas are supposed to cover things like this. Why would they be taxing the mileage as well? That sounds like they are trying to tax the same thing (fuel consumption) twice, which the last I heard was illegal in most places.

#14 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

Mississippian by birth and by choice

• 12,944 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:28

One more reason for companies to leave California for Texas, Arizona and points East all the way to Florida, and they are leaving in droves. Just this week there was a story about all the new space companies that are moving or expanding in Texas rather than in California, including SpaceX.

The more I hear about nonsense like this out of California, the more I think the US would be much better off ejecting them from the union. California is the Greece of the US.

#15 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,862 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:29

Justin Bieber will have to cut down on his driving. :laugh: