CD Burning extremely slow in XP

Hey guys..

First let me lead in by saying that I'm posting in the XP forum because I don't think this is a Hardware issue (at least with my CD Burner) because it worked properly under Win9x.

Ok.. theres 2 separate issues here but i'll start with the burner. I'm using the latest version of Nero to do burns...It seems like my burner was taking abnormally long to burn a CD, so since using Nero, I watched the timer count.

At any rate, I have an Iomega ZipCD 8x4x32 and I just burned a 450 MB CD at 8x speed. The simulation completed in 6m30s .. but the actual burn following right after completed in 14m05s !!!

Whats the deal here? I don't even begin to know how to troubleshoot this but obviously something is wrong..its burning at 4x speed for some stupid reason. This occured in Roxio as well BUT it burned at proper speeds under Win9x.

Also, sometimes when inserting a CD into my other LG 52x drive, the computer freezes for about 15-20 seconds..then it unfreezes and you can hear the LG Drive spin up and all appears well, except now the CD drive has extremely poor performance.

The Iomega (burner) and LG 52x are Master and Slave on IDE2 respectively. I'm more concerned with solving my burning problem but any help regarding either of the two will be appreciated.

My system specs if they'll help..

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1ghz

Abit KT7A (non raid) (BIOS latest version)

640 MB RAM

Maxtor 20GB HD

Iomega ZipCD 8x4x32 (Master, IDE2)

LG 52x CDROM (Slave, IDE2)

DMA enabled for the above

(I dont see how the following will help, but just in case)

Visiontek GeForce3

Soundblaster Live Value

Intel USB Webcam

Canon USB Scanner

Intel NIC card

Also, I'd like to add that the only changes to the BIOS I've ever made were to enable "Enhance Chip Performance" to solve USB issues and the recommended settings in my GeForce3 manual when I bought it.

Thanks guys for any help.

Sounds like you might have some driver issues with your chipset.

Have you tried the latest drivers for it ? If so have you tried any others, like older ones, or the default ones from Windows XP ?

It doesn't seem to be the cdrw itself, since the cd rom has some issues also.

I'm using the default VIA drivers installed by XP. I was in the understanding that the 4in1 service pack doesn't install any actual files or drivers under XP...which is why I've never installed them.

That's what I have heard also, I wouldn't know for sure as I don't have a Via chipset, however it couldn't hurt to install them, just make sure to create a restore point, if Windows doesn't automatically.

I've installed the 4in1's in the past and its hosed my system...I'd REALLY prefer another option before having to resort to installing this...

Anyone else?

(Thanks for the suggestion PM, I'll keep it in mind :))

Yeah, that's what they should be running in, and that's what I meant.

I'm not sure what else might be the problem. Have you tried moving them around on the ide channels, and possibly removing the cdrom so you can try out diffrent configs ?

No, haven't gone that far yet.. partially because I was hoping I could fix this through software or something... and the other thing is I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this. Moving them around on the IDE's.. what difference would that make? See, I dont even know... the only reason I don't have my CDROM on IDE1 slave is because I was told that the slower CDROM would affect the ATA66 of my HD and cause it to run at ATA33 *shrug*

see? lost i am!

Your title is CD Burning extremely slow in XP so I am telling you that it is not for me.

I hate Roxio. I spent too much time on their knowledge base. Anyways, they always said to turn off DMA mode on the CD writer.

I know you are runnig XP but there aren't alot of help articles for it yet. Try this one from Roxio for troubleshooting problems in Windows 2000.

http://ask.roxio.com/cgi-bin/roxio_tic.cfg...sdCZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Fair enough, though by the title I assumed an implied "My" would be read in front of it since I'm posting about my problem..

eg. "My CD Burning extremely slow in XP"

Thanks for the links

It could be a ton of things, that's why you have to try a ton of things. It's possible it's just the os and some software issue, but you can never rule out hardware.

Try the cdrw in another computer, replace the ide cable, try it in another config, reset your bios to default. Try it again on a Windows 98 system, to ensure you didn't have a hardware issue.

If none of that works, keep trying.