Dad selling gift Jeep to bury daughter, 15

yet in countries that have lower legal drinking ages this problem isn't as bad as it is here....

Because in most of those countries they have public transport and more options within walking/biking distance. In the US you are pretty much forced to drive everywhere. It's the only reason I don't think the higher drinking age is completely ridiculous in the US. It isn't saying you can't drink it at your house if you're underage, it's saying you can't be out anywhere drinking it. Because of stories like this one. =/

I don't know if you are trying to start fights or what, but honestly?.... I'm not talking about these people, I am talking in general about ALL people

It never happened to those people so they still wouldn't learn. If words were enough to teach that something fun is bad, people would have stopping make mistakes a long time ago like. Drinking and driving is one of those things that words alone won't work to stop it, just experiences.

When a child is born life insurance is very, very inexpensive. When my 2 grandsons were born I took out a policy on each, paid up in 10 years, hoping I would never have to use them. In 2005 my youngest grandson died and the insurance paid off double indemnity. I still have one more policy for the older grandson and hope I never have to use it.

I have no sympathy for people who die due to drinking and driving. It will always be a stupid idea. Not wearing seatbelt. Probably even more stupid than driving drunk. Ever since I was 16, I have never let anyone in my car if they don't buckle up. The driver is ultimately responsible for every life in that vehicle.

Yeah -- if you are going to drink, park it somewhere.

Only drive again when you've sobered up -- or walk it home.

Problem is this has been said a trillion times, yet not many people listen to this. I might sound cold, but death or serious injury is the only way to inflict reason with those who refuse to be reasoned with drink driving.

Because in most of those countries they have public transport and more options within walking/biking distance. In the US you are pretty much forced to drive everywhere. It's the only reason I don't think the higher drinking age is completely ridiculous in the US. It isn't saying you can't drink it at your house if you're underage, it's saying you can't be out anywhere drinking it. Because of stories like this one. =/

yeah, but how many teens over drink because its the "cool big thing to do" that wouldn't think twice about it if it wasn't a forbidden thing for them? that is part of the problem too...

every freaking death in a car wreck around here in the past few years has had "and the victims were not wearing their seat bealts" as the reason... seriously at what point will people figure out wear the darn things

And more importantly, stop freaking driving under the influence. These kinds of things are completely unnecessary and avoidable... :(

I feel sorry for this father.

Agreed. It's a horrible thing and I really feel for her father. I just can't even imagine. It's just such a horrible thing.

But I also will never understand not wearing seat belts. I've been in several accidents and seat belts played a role in me being here today. They may not help in every case, but they are certainly worth using... I just don't understand people that don't.

yeah, but how many teens over drink because its the "cool big thing to do" that wouldn't think twice about it if it wasn't a forbidden thing for them? that is part of the problem too...

I doubt the difference is that high, at least in the college crowd from what I've seen. The same people who get trashed all the time before they are 21 in college are the same ones that do it after they are 21. The only thing that seems to get through to many people is when something bad happens like a DUI, accident, etc.

They were 17 and 15...their minds haven't formed the ability to make rational decisions like that..

At 15 & 17 I did not have the desire to drink, and drive a car.

And at 19, and 20, I quickly figured out why there are DUI laws.

Guess I'm strange.

Intoxicating substances, cars, and stupidity. Always a dangerous mixture. I feel for the parents but children need to be educated better about the dangers of just this thing.

yet in countries that have lower legal drinking ages this problem isn't as bad as it is here....

Legal driving ages is to low in some countries in my opinion.

Legal driving ages is to low in some countries in my opinion.

But a lot fewer younger people driving. Again like I said before, there are so many more options, walking or public transport is much easier done. I love being in Europe, UK, etc--I never drive anywhere, and can be drunk all day if I feel like it without endangering anybody. It's a different story in the US, where I can't go anywhere unless I drive there. Tack on the higher prices for cars and insurance in most of those countries, and young people driving at all, much less drunk, just doesn't happen nearly as often.

If a person is predisposed towards reckless behaviour raising the legal ages of things won't really make much difference.