Need some help for a website...

Question

Hello everyone!

I recently met someone who has their degree in business and marketing, and naturally, wants to start his own business. He's decently tech savvy-- he can install an OS, get drivers, etc. His idea is kinda like Creig's List, but a lot better. He wants the website to be a place where you can post your junk in your local area, make sales/trades/etc., All while being very beautiful and easy to use It HAS to feature private messaging, PayPal, ad support (I'm guessing so he can make a load of money off of them), a mobile site, and a "bump" feature where you can pay to have your post on the front page.

Neowin instantly popped into my head. I showed him the website, and he instantly liked it and started talking about where everything could go. There's just one problem. What software/services does Neowin use to create their website??? I checked out this and found you guys have multiple Linux servers running MySQL and all that. However, this really doesn't help me. How do I set that server up, build the website, make it safe and secure, and get it on Google/Bing/Yahoo/etc.? Are there any other alternative services you guys would recommend to me to make this company work? Like a drag and drop type of thing? I don't know any computer languages, but I'm willing to learn.

I know I'm crazy asking for this much information, and I know it most likely won't be a click, click, click were're up and running process but it's worth at least trying. I have a couple of old computers laying around (Dual core Athlons, 4 gigs of ram, G4 Power Mac (well G4 is useless but you get my point), etc. Would this be enough at first?

I really need your guys help. Thank You for reading. I really hope this works out the way we want it too. God Bless!

--Terra

3 answers to this question

I'm not an expert in these matters but have you considered using e-commerce tools for Wordpress? You could do pretty much all those things you've described above with relative ease.

Frankly, I don't see you/him making much money from this particular venture, especially when Craigslist and eBay are really well-known and established for the same/similar services.

I'm not an expert in these matters but have you considered using e-commerce tools for Wordpress? You could do pretty much all those things you've described above with relative ease.

Frankly, I don't see you/him making much money from this particular venture, especially when Craigslist and eBay are really well-known and established for the same/similar services.

Thanks for answering! I'll take a look into that. As for the money, I told him that and he said craigslist is just a bunch of links. It does not have PM, "bump" and is not very user friendly. There is also not any large competition in that area. We will most likely make money off of ads and "bumps".