Rumor: Windows Phone 8 RTM in September, devices in November.

Quoting a Spanish source, ZDNet?s Mary Jo Foley?s source is claiming Windows Phone handsets will hit the market in November this year, around the same time as the first and second wave of Windows Phones in 2010 and 2011.

The source is also claiming Windows Phone 8 will be released to manufacturers in September, also somewhat later than expected, suggesting also Microsoft is still very hard at work on the operating system.

Nokia is expected to release one of the first Windows Phone 8 handsets, and it is possible, like before, that the handsets will hit Europe up to a month earlier than US, meaning hopefully Europe can hope for availability slightly earlier than November.

http://wmpoweruser.com/rumour-windows-phone-8-to-rtm-in-september-devices-hit-market-in-november/

This would fit with Nokias September HQ retail event that was talked about yesterday. Wouldn't surprise me if Nokia had a WP8 device out a bit before HTC and Samsung.

hmm I thought it would be earlier than that. It might be too late for me.

hmm I thought it would be earlier than that. It might be too late for me.

That's what others were expecting, it is still a rumor though. But I figured it would RTM after Windows 8 does, so Win8 in August with GA in Oct, and WP8 in Sept with GA in November. Basically one month apart, seems legit I'd say.

*edit*

I was always planning for on getting a new WP8 device in the holidays anyways, so Nov-Dec timeframe.

I think Microsoft should speed up a bit for this release otherwise they will lose another year. :/ This two month time frame(between RTM & GA) is way too relaxed for someone with miniscule market share and wanting to grow.

I think Microsoft should speed up a bit for this release otherwise they will lose another year. :/ This two month time frame(between RTM & GA) is way too relaxed for someone with miniscule market share and wanting to grow.

They might be able to speed it up but it's not just the OS that takes time for new phones. The new devices also have to pass certifications, bluetooth, other FCC stuff. Also before that the OEMs have to do their drivers and other hardware tests. After that the carriers probably take some time to test the phones on their networks before they agree to sell any specific models. All in all I'd say it adds at least 2 months to the overall cycle.

Still, with the core swtich coming in WP8 and the newer driver model I expect to see newer phones coming out quicker, as well as software updates to. Now we don't really have to worry as much about firmware and drivers screwing with a update or delaying a update for a specific handset till the OEM fixes it like we've seen so far. Once the OEM has a driver writen for , say a specific SoCs IGP or a specific display/screen. If they use that same hardware on another handset they can just use the same drivers. Or that's the thinking anyways, no need to do stuff over, or do as much over for newer phones.

I get an upgrade in August and my wife in January I think. We both have had the Samsung Focus for a while now so will probably just upgrade to whatever the WP8 version of that is. May look at the Nokia's this time around, but I don't like that they have free reign over some things (like the Marketplace icon)