Photo

Best tablet for reading (non iOS)?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:03

FYI, pen functionality is only on the Surface Pro (the x86 variant), which will be near enough a thousand dollars when it comes out. It also isn't likely out until December/January. That's quite a long time to wait, and quite a lot of cheddar for a reading device.

#17 OP metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:18

FYI, pen functionality is only on the Surface Pro (the x86 variant), which will be near enough a thousand dollars when it comes out. It also isn't likely out until December/January. That's quite a long time to wait, and quite a lot of cheddar for a reading device.

i really really really doubt its going to be 1000 bucks and afaik the surface pro/rt do not have the pen fucntionality but even if they dont, having a x86 processor is worth it.

#18 OP metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:30

Wow, I am VERY impressed with the Nook Tablet :) Looks VERY intresting :) Does anyone have expirence with it? Are people running Jelly Bean on it already?

#19 Mohitster

Mohitster

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 525

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:44

He did state some restrictions that I can't even name any tablets except Note and Flyer which comes with

• Pen
  • SD Card Slot
  • Non-iOS
  • On sale as of right now
The surface will be out in Fall, but it won't be cheap.

I don't think Flyer is on sale anymore. Is it? Only refurbished or second hand units might be available....

But I totally love my Flyer and would totally recommend it if he could get his hands on one. The only issue (not with me though) is that it will never get official ICS (or beyond for that matter).

#20 Lunfai

Lunfai

Neowinian

• Phone: iOS 8

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:50

I don't think Flyer is on sale anymore. Is it? Only refurbished or second hand units might be available....

But I totally love my Flyer and would totally recommend it if he could get his hands on one. The only issue (not with me though) is that it will never get official ICS (or beyond for that matter).

Not sure, but I saw a hot uk deals on the flyer not long ago, not sure if it was new or refurbished, but it was around 150-170.

#21 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:03

If you want to use the device exclusively for reading, you are going to regret getting a device with an LCD display. I would highly recommend a device with e-ink, it's so much easier on the eyes. If you want a (multipurpose) tablet, then go for a Nexus 7.

#22 OP metro2012

metro2012

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2012 - 16:04

If you want to use the device exclusively for reading, you are going to regret getting a device with an LCD display. I would highly recommend a device with e-ink, it's so much easier on the eyes. If you want a (multipurpose) tablet, then go for a Nexus 7.

the nook tablet i think has ips rite? i dont know any other android with e-ink.

#23 fmanchu

fmanchu

Free loader

Posted 20 July 2012 - 17:09

Nook Tablet, you can get one for $150

#24 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 20 July 2012 - 18:09

look get the nexus 7 tablet here is a comparsion

http://www.theverge....2506/3767/5147/ nexus 7 vs kindle fire vs nook vs

Posted Image

#25 MS Pandya

MS Pandya

In love with Microsoft

Posted 20 July 2012 - 18:21

i really really really doubt its going to be 1000 bucks and afaik the surface pro/rt do not have the pen fucntionality but even if they dont, having a x86 processor is worth it.

There are two variants, the Surface, and the Surface Pro. The 'normal' Surface is launching with Windows 8, and is powered by a Tegra 3 ARM processor. It does not have digital ink capability. The Surface Pro, launching a few months behind the Surface, has a ULV Core i5 processor, and the Surface Pro does have digital ink capability (but only on the Surface Pro). The Surface Pro hasn't had its pricing revealed, but it's priced in-line with current ultrabook pricing. A price point of $999 is very likely.

#26 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 20 July 2012 - 18:50

I also agree with getting a tablet with e-ink. If you plan on doing extended amounts of reading, a lcd tablet will make you want to gouge your eyes out. They are cheap enough that you can buy one of those for reading and then something else for browsing/media needs.

#27 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 20 July 2012 - 19:54

There are two variants, the Surface, and the Surface Pro. The 'normal' Surface is launching with Windows 8, and is powered by a Tegra 3 ARM processor. It does not have digital ink capability. The Surface Pro, launching a few months behind the Surface, has a ULV Core i5 processor, and the Surface Pro does have digital ink capability (but only on the Surface Pro). The Surface Pro hasn't had its pricing revealed, but it's priced in-line with current ultrabook pricing. A price point of $999 is very likely.

I am guessing the Surface Pro will be priced $799 (64GB) and $999 ($128) respectively or rather I am hoping because I want to get Pro. :)

#28 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 20 July 2012 - 19:58

hello

im going to go for the ccna exam (well the first part) and ill have to read some ebooks so im looking for a tablet. not intrested in ereaders as they have no added functionality. i dont want a ipad either.

im looking at either a android device or microsoft's surface. most of you will say the nexus 7 but no sd card and no pen (to hightlight stuff easier for example) is a bit of a turn off.........the htc flyer looked pretty ok but has no support. the galaxy note is weird in the sense it that it doesnt have the size of a phone or a tablet and would be pretty hard to read.

right now the surface is my perfered choice even if it is not on the market.

suggestions?

Well, if you're looking for something cheap I'd recommend a Nook Tablet and then putting CM9 on it, but since you're obviously interested in the Surface I'd just wait for for that. In fact, I am waiting for one, but for now I'm using my Nook Color (which is a bit slow, which is why I'd recommend the Tablet, instead).

#29 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:03

I think there's a way to use usb mass storage on the Nexus 7, so that should cover at storage issues.

It really comes down to how much you'll willing to spend. The Surface is probably going to be at least as expensive as iOS - the RT version anyway (which by the way won't have many apps), the x86 version will have the Windows back catalogue, but it's going to be bulkier, have less battery life, and be extremely expensive. Think 1k+.

If I were going to buy one right now, it'll either be a Nexus 7 or a Transformer.

#30 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 July 2012 - 23:41

Just go for the nexus 7 it has the latest hardware quad core the works for $200 plus it is running the new Andriod jelly bean 4.1 while the other runs a custom based andriod 2.3 gingerbread with a custom UI ontop of it plus less ram on the other 2 512mb vs 1gb of ram in the nexsus 7 also Higher quality screen 7" 1280x800 with 223PPI as oppsed to the 150-160 in the other tablets