Windows 8: Will There be "Trial Versions" Like Previous Windows?

On installing win7 or earlier windows, if the user enters blank for the product key, windows will run as trial mode for 30 days, after that, the user could still extend the trial period 3 times using the slmgr /rearm command.

But in Windows 8, in the 3 public releases(WDP/WCP/WRP); setup will ask for product key at the earliest stage-if enter blank, it simply refuses to proceed. Also, in the running windows, slmgr /dlv shows an unrealistic rearm count of 1000. And it made people wonder: Does the windows 8 provide "trial mode" like the previous windows?

screen1097.jpg

I guess we could get hint in Windows Embedded Standard 8(Windows CPT); on the Connect download page, it provides the user a "trial key" that allows a user to install and try for 30 days:

screen1098.jpg

My copy has expired, that's what it showed:

screen1099.jpg

However, on using slmgr /rearm command, the grace period returns, and 1 rearm count deducted:

screen1100.jpg

So I guess, yes, there will be trial modes for windows 8, but you would need a trial key, maybe MS will simply make the key public, maybe people can use the WRP keys to initiate trial mode, maybe you need to apply for it case-to-case - it's upto anybodies' guess atm.

And the rearm count will be 5 instead of 3, you can try it for 6 months (All these are onlyspeculationsbased on windows CTP).

Windows Vista and 7 DID NOT have trial periods, they gave you 30 days to activate the product and enter the key, but (I repeat) It WAS NOT a trial period.

Windows Vista and 7 DID NOT have trial periods, they gave you 30 days to activate the product and enter the key, but (I repeat) It WAS NOT a trial period.

Uh it had a trial period for enterprise users. I'd stop at that as a link is already posted. :p

Yes, in one respect you are right, MS had been reluctant to call it trial period, they called it grace period instead, and told people how to extend it to evaluate(still, not try) windows.

screen1101.jpg

But if you google "windows trial period", everybody uses this term, and even Connect used trial period in thier page now.

So , what's the big deal over using "trial period" or "grace period" or "evaluate period"? :D

It would be nice if you could do this, as I intend to upgrade to Windows 8 upon release and would like to be able to run it at the earliest possible opportunity. I don't like the idea of having to wait months after the product has been completed in order to use it.

I appreciate that many may consider me to be impatient but I've been running Windows 8 as my primary operating system since the CP was released and would rather not be stuck with an outdated and incomplete OS, nor would I want to drop back to Windows 7 and miss out on the improvements. In the digital era such a delay is unnecessary.

btw, if you are thinking that next month if the RTM leaks(it probably will), you can start installation by using the keys provided in product.ini ...... forget about it, it just doesn't exist.

screen1106.jpg

But I guess MS would provide test keys for "evaluation", just wait and see. :)