Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Google Nexus 7 tablet

38 posts in this topic

Posted

So here we go...again :p

The N7 feels much more expensive than a

Posted

The 2 amp lets you charge while using. The normal 500mA you get from USB2 will only let it charge while asleep. (At the very least, thats about what it said in the manual.)

I have the 16GB. My only complaint is there are still a lot of games blocked (I don't know if verification is on Googles end or the developers, but its going slow.)

At least Mass Effect: Infiltrator was marked compatible today, so thinks are lookin up.

Posted

Nice and all, except that Bioware should go apeshoot and sue everyone who's using N7 to mean Nexus 7 instead of Alliance Special Forces :whistle:

Posted

No mention of battery life?

Posted

Where did you get that case?

Posted

For such a cheap tablet, the quality of the screen looks really impressive to me. Great review, thank you!

Posted

Where did you get that case?

Amazon sell it. :)

Posted

Amazon sell it. :)

Thanks! (Y)

1 person likes this

Posted

I got the 16GB myself, I am glad I did. One of my largest gripes so far have been the lack of 5Ghz 802.11n support, and Chrome. Chrome is an ok browser, but just like the desktop, I think the font rendering is odd.

On the tablet, the text seems too thin, not enough hinting. I appear to not be alone in this. I love the interface and how Chrome works, but the performance seems to be lacking (choppy at times) , the text is odd, and honestly when clicking link with my finger, it doesn't seem as accurate as Firefox. Sometimes it can take a while to click what I want (for instance on reddit, clicking on showing more comments frequently fails, I have reported so many users inadvertently).

Firefox Beta on the Tablet seems to work much better as far as that goes. The interface is much worse, but it seems more readable (kinda like Windows, DirectWrite is amazing vs Chrome's rendering). I really think Google need to spend more time on their browser focusing on readability and more buttery like projects.

At this point, I think hardware is where it should be. The Nexus 7 feels great to hold, it feels great to touch. It took a little while for truly good hardware to hit the street, but it is there. Now I think it is time to embrace the magic of softwareand really focus on the little things to make the experience perfect.

Posted

An update on my review!

The battery life is excellent, I lost 10% over several hours of usage just browsing, setting it up, rooting and so on. Sadly though I had to sell it on because I realised after the first day of real world usage that everything I was doing on it was being done just as well on my S3.

I sold it for

Posted

I kind of disagree, if you have a S3, I think there is still room for a tablet. Now if you have a laptop, S3 and desktop, a tablet might not be worth it.

I myself have a personal laptop, a galaxy nexus, a work laptop, and a desktop. I travel a lot of my job, and do not want to take my personal laptop and my work laptop at the same time, so find having a tablet a nice addition.

When I am at a hotel, it is inappropriate to surf facebook, watch youtube, or do anything personal on your company owned laptop. A tablet is small enough to travel along with no issues, and bigger than y our phone so you can enjoy reading / viewing.

I do think in the future there will be a blur between the smart phone, the tablet, and the ultrabook. I just do not think the we are there completely yet.

Posted

The only benefit I saw was in tablet optimised apps, of which there aren't as many just yet,

For my usage style the S3 does everything I found myself I thought I'd excell in on the Nexus 7.

Posted

i have a galaxy s and it will not do every thing the nexus will.

i hope. as it arrives tomorrow, will report back

tethering works well with my netbook

hope the nexus plays well with my galaxy s

Posted

The Nexus 7 is a great buy but the lack of external storage is a deal breaker for me.

Posted

The Nexus 7 is a great buy but the lack of external storage is a deal breaker for me.

I'm getting one pretty soon too, and I'm hoping that this isn't the case for very light usage. I already have a laptop where I do most of my work. I've been wanting to get a tablet for the simpler of tasks like email, web browsing, reading etc. I'm hoping that the limited storage won't be that much of an issue.

A few people have mentioned you can use USB OTG for storage, is that the case? Storage not so much of an issue then.

Edit - Quick Google search seems to suggest that it doesn't :(

Posted

You can have external storage on it. Root the device then install StickMount from Google Play, it has mounted my 8GB Sandisk Titanium via a USB OTG cable and read files off it no problem.

Posted

You can have external storage on it. Root the device then install StickMount from Google Play, it has mounted my 8GB Sandisk Titanium via a USB OTG cable and read files off it no problem.

Still waiting for my cable to arrive but as I understand no rooting required for the N7 but will report back when the (right) cable arrives.

Posted

if you have a S3, I think there is still room for a tablet. Now if you have a laptop, S3 and desktop, a tablet might not be worth it.

I agree. I have both the SGS3 and now the Nexus 7 and both fit into my life just fine since I do not have any laptop.

Correct, the Nexus 7, on it's own, can NOT mount any form of storage via USB OTG. This method of rooting and installing stickmount has been confirmed to work. As of right now I have had no need to root mine however.

Posted

I'm going to get one of these once google release them in Germany!

Btw can anyone tell me from where i can order-preorder it for Greece?

Posted

Still waiting for my cable to arrive but as I understand no rooting required for the N7 but will report back when the (right) cable arrives.

what kind of cable do you need to mount usb? could you link to a good one?

scratch that, found a good one on Amazon

Posted

this.... I really could have used one of these tabs for the trip to VA Beach.... and I wouldn't have had 3G+tons of B/W for it,.... so I would have been able to load all kinda vids to SD card and watch em... The trip was 8.5 hours long.

and even the 16GB version uses 2+GB for apps and system and such... so that's eaten up quick...

Posted

this.... I really could have used one of these tabs for the trip to VA Beach.... and I wouldn't have had 3G+tons of B/W for it,.... so I would have been able to load all kinda vids to SD card and watch em... The trip was 8.5 hours long.

and even the 16GB version uses 2+GB for apps and system and such... so that's eaten up quick...

so what's stopping you from getting the cord so you can mount a flash-drive?

Posted

so what's stopping you from getting the cord so you can mount a flash-drive?

Not everyone wants to root their device right away.