• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 dipsylalapo

dipsylalapo

Neowinian

• 1,384 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:32

The Nexus 7 is a great buy but the lack of external storage is a deal breaker for me.

I'm getting one pretty soon too, and I'm hoping that this isn't the case for very light usage. I already have a laptop where I do most of my work. I've been wanting to get a tablet for the simpler of tasks like email, web browsing, reading etc. I'm hoping that the limited storage won't be that much of an issue.

A few people have mentioned you can use USB OTG for storage, is that the case? Storage not so much of an issue then.

Edit - Quick Google search seems to suggest that it doesn't :(

#17 Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu

moo

• 1,502 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:18

You can have external storage on it. Root the device then install StickMount from Google Play, it has mounted my 8GB Sandisk Titanium via a USB OTG cable and read files off it no problem.

#18 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• 851 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:05

You can have external storage on it. Root the device then install StickMount from Google Play, it has mounted my 8GB Sandisk Titanium via a USB OTG cable and read files off it no problem.

Still waiting for my cable to arrive but as I understand no rooting required for the N7 but will report back when the (right) cable arrives.

#19 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 630 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 5

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:28

if you have a S3, I think there is still room for a tablet. Now if you have a laptop, S3 and desktop, a tablet might not be worth it.

I agree. I have both the SGS3 and now the Nexus 7 and both fit into my life just fine since I do not have any laptop.

Correct, the Nexus 7, on it's own, can NOT mount any form of storage via USB OTG. This method of rooting and installing stickmount has been confirmed to work. As of right now I have had no need to root mine however.

#20 giannisgx89

giannisgx89

Neowinian

• 433 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:14

I'm going to get one of these once google release them in Germany!
Btw can anyone tell me from where i can order-preorder it for Greece?

#21 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• 6,520 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:20

http://www.pcmag.com...,2407422,00.asp

#22 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,817 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:22

Still waiting for my cable to arrive but as I understand no rooting required for the N7 but will report back when the (right) cable arrives.

what kind of cable do you need to mount usb? could you link to a good one?

scratch that, found a good one on Amazon

#23 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,072 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:58

The Nexus 7 is a great buy but the lack of external storage is a deal breaker for me.

this.... I really could have used one of these tabs for the trip to VA Beach.... and I wouldn't have had 3G+tons of B/W for it,.... so I would have been able to load all kinda vids to SD card and watch em... The trip was 8.5 hours long.

and even the 16GB version uses 2+GB for apps and system and such... so that's eaten up quick...

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,817 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:24

this.... I really could have used one of these tabs for the trip to VA Beach.... and I wouldn't have had 3G+tons of B/W for it,.... so I would have been able to load all kinda vids to SD card and watch em... The trip was 8.5 hours long.

and even the 16GB version uses 2+GB for apps and system and such... so that's eaten up quick...

so what's stopping you from getting the cord so you can mount a flash-drive?

#25 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 630 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:27

so what's stopping you from getting the cord so you can mount a flash-drive?

Not everyone wants to root their device right away.

#26 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,817 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:45

Not everyone wants to root their device right away.

as someone else farther up said, I'm not sure you actually need to root the nexus 7 to mount a USB

and honestly why NOT root the nexus 7? there's already one-click tools to root it available, so you literally have to put no effort into it, just download the file and click unlock then click root

edit: and if you're so lazy that you don't want to look for the root tool, here it is http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1766475

#27 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 630 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 18:54

as someone else farther up said, I'm not sure you actually need to root the nexus 7 to mount a USB

and honestly why NOT root the nexus 7? there's already one-click tools to root it available, so you literally have to put no effort into it, just download the file and click unlock then click root

edit: and if you're so lazy that you don't want to look for the root tool, here it is http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1766475

You absolutely have to root to mount USB OTG storage. No ifs ands or buts about it.

#28 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• 6,817 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 18:58

You absolutely have to root to mount USB storage. No ifs ands or buts about it.

so then root it. complaining about no external storage (sd card) when you can easily root the thing and use a usb drive just sounds like a sad excuse to me

#29 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 23:00

^ Not everyone wants to root their device.

#30 vetcashman

cashman

Let Love Be The Healer

• 1,190 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:40

I think it's really good. For example. I took it to work with me on Monday. Was using it yesterday morning and it told me that my journey to work would take 12 minutes and there was light traffic on stockingstone. I never told it I worked where I do, or what time I was leaving. It just knew!