Google Nexus 7 tablet

Not everyone wants to root their device right away.

as someone else farther up said, I'm not sure you actually need to root the nexus 7 to mount a USB

and honestly why NOT root the nexus 7? there's already one-click tools to root it available, so you literally have to put no effort into it, just download the file and click unlock then click root

edit: and if you're so lazy that you don't want to look for the root tool, here it is http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1766475

as someone else farther up said, I'm not sure you actually need to root the nexus 7 to mount a USB

and honestly why NOT root the nexus 7? there's already one-click tools to root it available, so you literally have to put no effort into it, just download the file and click unlock then click root

edit: and if you're so lazy that you don't want to look for the root tool, here it is http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1766475

You absolutely have to root to mount USB OTG storage. No ifs ands or buts about it.

You absolutely have to root to mount USB storage. No ifs ands or buts about it.

so then root it. complaining about no external storage (sd card) when you can easily root the thing and use a usb drive just sounds like a sad excuse to me

I think it's really good. For example. I took it to work with me on Monday. Was using it yesterday morning and it told me that my journey to work would take 12 minutes and there was light traffic on stockingstone. I never told it I worked where I do, or what time I was leaving. It just knew!

I had my Nexus 7 rooted in less than 10 minutes and that's including the download/setup time for the tool.

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1742919

Can't make rooting much easier than using a "One-click" root tool.

I had my Nexus 7 rooted in less than 10 minutes and that's including the download/setup time for the tool.

that's what I've been saying. why fuss about having to root it to mount a flash drive when it's this freakin easy for the Nexus 7

Hi perhaps some of you with a Nexus 7 can help me.

I've recently got a 16GB version but I seem to have strange problem with copying data to the device. For example, if I have a folder of photos I copy over, either over wireless or using USB over MTP all the copied files on the device have had their modification dates altered to the exact time of the copy procedure - each file has a second difference between them with all the same date. The files on my computer have there correct modification dates on them.

This happens with all types of file; video, pictures, zip etc and also under Windows and OS X. This doesn't happen on my SGSII with a custom ICS ROM running 4.0.4 but I connect that via USB Mass Storage and not USB MTP.

Any ideas? I've yet to find a ROM for the Nexus 7 that supports USB MS but why would USB MTP alter the files in this way? It's making organisation and sorting a nightmare. :(

[EDIT] Forgot to mention that my Nexus 7 is rooted, unlocked etc using the Toolkit mention above.

• 3 weeks later...

What if you uploaded them to Picasa? I think Picasa reads EXIF tags and sorts pictures (albums) that way.

Got mine mid July, and have been enjoying it. I use my netbook less and less. I think if I got a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, this could semi-replace my netbook. A netbook will just have that extra potential of running anything that a tablet can't.

I kind of disagree, if you have a S3, I think there is still room for a tablet. Now if you have a laptop, S3 and desktop, a tablet might not be worth it.

I myself have a personal laptop, a galaxy nexus, a work laptop, and a desktop. I travel a lot of my job, and do not want to take my personal laptop and my work laptop at the same time, so find having a tablet a nice addition.

When I am at a hotel, it is inappropriate to surf facebook, watch youtube, or do anything personal on your company owned laptop. A tablet is small enough to travel along with no issues, and bigger than y our phone so you can enjoy reading / viewing.

I do think in the future there will be a blur between the smart phone, the tablet, and the ultrabook. I just do not think the we are there completely yet.

Good call, im in exactly the same boat and was considering one of these for that exact purpose, my Galaxy N7000 note is usable, but this would be better.